The Conte Thread

Well he did mention in the presser about his targets having to be approved by the club first. The jury is still out on some of Conte's supposed targets and taste in players. My thought is Conte wants players who are either highly unattainable or average. 

1 hour ago, nathangeorge99 said:

I hope Conte stays beyond the end of the season. However, I cannot see it lasting. If this turns out to be the case, my two choice, in order, would be 1) Ancelotti, and 2) Allegri. What do you guys think?

Said this before, if we get Ancelotti again, we can forget about winning the league and prepare for lots of inconsistency.

On 12/16/2017 at 0:09 AM, It's too big said:

Well he did mention in the presser about his targets having to be approved by the club first. The jury is still out on some of Conte's supposed targets and taste in players. My thought is Conte wants players who are either highly unattainable or average. 

Which reported major targets of Conte were "highly unattainable"?

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Which reported major targets of Conte were "highly unattainable"?

Bonucci. Sandro. Nainggolan. Koulibaly. Two of those targets were never going to leave Italy, and Juventus and Napoli were being hardheaded about selling the other two at the time. When I say unattainable, I am also including the selling clubs refusal to sell. You could probably add Lukaku to that list as he, by all accounts, wanted to join his mate Pogba at Utd. 

11 hours ago, It's too big said:

Bonucci. Sandro. Nainggolan. Koulibaly. Two of those targets were never going to leave Italy, and Juventus and Napoli were being hardheaded about selling the other two at the time. When I say unattainable, I am also including the selling clubs refusal to sell.

Bonucci was clearly available this past summer and the board probably didn't want to pay over the odds for a 30-year-old and a player with no resale value. On hindsight, we probably did the right thing there since we bought Rudiger instead, who has proven more than capable of performing at a high level. Not sure how genuine our interest in Koulibaly were in the summer of last year but again on hindsight, it was a good thing we didn't get him since we proceeded to buy back Luiz, who has been more than decent. Plus, it's not like Koulibaly is setting the world alight at Napoli anyway. As for Sandro and Nainggolan, easy to say they were "highly unattainable" now given what has happened but you never quite know if Juventus and/or Roma would be willing to sell if we came up with a big fee for them in the first place. Fair enough they refused in the end but in Juve case, wonder if they now regret not selling Sandro for the 60-70m we were supposedly willing to pay. And if it's not them, then what other major players that Conte could have gone for? It's also tough on Conte too when the club have been such stingy bastards and keen on continuing with the 'replacing an outgoing player with another one rather than adding to squad' policy.

11 hours ago, It's too big said:

You could probably add Lukaku to that list as he, by all accounts, wanted to join his mate Pogba at Utd. 

Pretty sure we failed to sign him because we refused to pay a high agent fee to Mino Raiola rather than him rejecting us and we certainly dodged the bullet in this.

Am i the only one who thinks that 3-5-2 is a bad formation for Chelsea, because Hazard and Morata get isolated up top, and it all depends on the form of Hazard how we play, because he is setup as a sole creative force, I think  a 3-4-2-1 should be a better formation, with Morata up front, along with Hazard and Pedro ( or preferably someone we bring in from the transfer window) playing just behind. In this way pressure would be of Hazard to maintain the whole attacking flair.

On 12/03/2017 at 1:57 AM, The Skipper said:

We have an amazing opportunity to grow into a true European elite for the next 5 years if we get our signings right this summer. Conte has been a magnificent appointment, and I genuinely can't wait to see what he can do when he has better players in the side. It's truly incredible how he's managed to guide the team 10 points clear. Absolute winner. He's managed to do so whilst sort of integrating some of the academy guys as squad players as well. At managerial level we're truly set with one of the best. Now it's time to give him the right players.

In my opinion, we need to upgrade on 4 positions next summer. CM, LWB, RWB, RF. So essentially an upgrade on Matic/Fabregas, Alonso, Moses and Pedro. We do this successfully and we're set.

Realistically, there are a few options for us this summer. There seems to be a mix of top players and up and coming superstars available next summer from particular leagues and teams that I feel we should raid. Specifically the French league which is bursting full of talent right now.

At CM, I would look into getting Kante a partner that is a lot more complete defensively and offensively. I would rather them be more inclined towards the latter though due to Kante's defensive ability in midfield. The players I have in mind that are possibly attainable are Tolisso, Naby Keita and maybe Bakayoko. Maybe a cheeky bid for Renato Sanches who hasn't settled at Bayern at all? The pipe dream would be Verratti though.

At WB, Alonso and Moses have done very well this season as a couple but they aren't good enough if we want to be a top European side. Of course, they stay and provide crucial squad depth (which we severely lack in the position). I would look at getting in Semedo from Benfica the most, he is a top top full back. Maybe look at other options like Aurier? Cancelo? On the left, again there aren't that many exciting players available but I heard we're interested in Lemar, who plays LM at Monaco. Maybe could be converted into a LWB, would be a very interesting option. We can also possibly take a plunge on one of the best young English talents to come through recently, Ryan Sessegnon, who at 16 would need a few years to bed in but he is doing very well at Fulham at the moment and starts regularly now. Maybe Grimaldo from Benfica is an option too.

RF is where it gets fun. We have loads of options here, there are many young talents or even superstars available that we could get. Pedro is doing a magnificent job this season, close to being CPOTY for me. However, he is 31 later this year and we need to invest into that position for the future. If we could manage to steal Alexis, that would be fantastic. Bernardo Silva would be excellent too. Then you have someone like Mbappe which would be a ridiculous statement. Maybe make a huge offer for Ousmane Dembele. The sort of player we need to have there needs to have the 'Pedro profile' if anything in my opinion. You can even look at possibly getting in strikers like Lacazette or Aubameyang who could perform really well in that Pedro role, Anelka style. So someone with a goal scorers mentality when in the box and good off the ball movement.

That potentially gives us a team of:

Courtois

Azpi Luiz Christensen

Semedo Kante Tolisso Grimaldo

Mbappe Costa Hazard

That above is a truly exciting side, and should be pretty achievable next season in my opinion. Hopefully we can make even bigger signings though, you never know. The squad depth would be ridiculous as well with guys like Fabregas, Pedro, Willian, Moses, Ake etc. to call on.

Good times ahead hopefully, as long as the board and Conte don't mess up the summer transfer window. We need to spend big, because our competitors will. City and United, and Arsenal and Liverpool potentially too. The PL is going to be exciting next season. This is highly optimistic and idealistic but don't see why we can't be. We'll be champions with a lot of cash to spend.

How times have changed... :lol:

We *still* arguably need a LWB, a CM, a RWB and a RW.....

19 minutes ago, cfcs most wanted said:

I think  a 3-4-2-1 should be a better formation, with Morata up front, along with Hazard and Pedro ( or preferably someone we bring in from the transfer window) playing just behind.

I don't see how that's different from the 3-4-3 we play, 3-4-2-1 is basically the longer, more specific name for the same formation.

6 hours ago, cfcs most wanted said:

Am i the only one who thinks that 3-5-2 is a bad formation for Chelsea, because Hazard and Morata get isolated up top, and it all depends on the form of Hazard how we play, because he is setup as a sole creative force, I think  a 3-4-2-1 should be a better formation, with Morata up front, along with Hazard and Pedro ( or preferably someone we bring in from the transfer window) playing just behind. In this way pressure would be of Hazard to maintain the whole attacking flair.

Imo the 3-5-2 is our best formation when we go up against top teams. We've seen in the past that the 3-4-3 is vulnerable against teams that overload the central areas. The 3-5-2 allows us to remain solid in the central reas while allowing Hazard a free role to cause damage.

It even allows us to play Fabregas against the top teams. Something which isnt possible in the 3-4-3.

Ofcourse that extra solidity in midfield comes at a price. We basically take out an attacker and add a midfielder so we lose something going forward. 

So the 3-4-3 is probably better suited for playing against teams that defend deep and narrow.

8 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

I generally think Conte is the best manager we’ve had in a good few years in terms of motivational skills and tactics. I hope he stays in charge for another 1 or 2 seasons at least as I don’t think he’s done building the team or squad he wants, he is clearly wanting to challenge Man City next year for the title as he’s said in a few interviews and I believe that if anybody is capable of challenging City next season for the title it will be us. I still think we can get the points gap down this season but it will be pretty tough.

This talk of Carlo coming back would be an extremely poor and backwards move for us I feel. Carlo is a good proven coach but at Bayern the complaints was he wasn’t anywhere near as demanding or intense as Pep (although not many are) and I feel he would have the same issues here. Conte is a demanding and intense coach, who works a lot on tactical aspects based on improving the team and players in training where as Carlo is not and although he had a very good spell here I think this group of players wouldn’t be as productive or willing to push themselves anywhere near as much as they do now, just because of how Carlo is.

If Conte remains next season a drastic change in pre season is needed, so far under Conte we have started the season's slow and inconsistent, last season we got away with it but this time round we lost serious ground bar October. City will likely have another relentless start 

On December 17, 2017 at 10:08 PM, Jason said:

Said this before, if we get Ancelotti again, we can forget about winning the league and prepare for lots of inconsistency.

I have never before been demotivated for a season before it's begun, but if a Carlo returns coincides with Hazard leaving, i'd find it seriously hard to keep that record up.