The Conte Thread

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hire manager.

Win a major trophy.

Players down tool.

Manager struggles.

Board sack manager.

Rinse and repeat.

You missed the key point between win major trophy and players down tools - fail to improve squad in summer transfer window. That causes the rest.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hire manager.

Win a major trophy.

Players down tool.

Manager struggles.

Board sack manager.

Rinse and repeat.

Round and round we go.. To predictable now! Thought be different this time but looks like nope! Here we go again. And again and again.  

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

At a club like this where you're demanded to win immedietly or you get the sack I'm not sure Roman will risk a young up and comer. Especially after the AVB debacle.

I don't think it's a case of win immediately i think it's a case of show some positive signs, which AVB failed to do. If for argument sake Conte walks in May and we appoint Marco Silva and he has a similar season to say Pochettino's first at Spurs i genuinely believe he will get all the time he needs, infact i'd bet anything he would.

19 hours ago, Jason said:

1. Think if given the chance, Conte would have wanted Terry to stay but he clearly still wants to play and is not going to get that here. Had to leave.

2. Conte may be at fault - to an extent - on his handling of Costa but it's been said many times, let's not pretend Costa hadn't downed tools since January and given his erratic contribution/behavior ever since, you can't blame Conte for saying 'enough is enough' with him.

4. Selling Costa and Matic would have been fine had we bought well but the poor recruitment only really compounded those outgoings.

Yeah valid points but again realistically selling Costa and Matic, two players who were extremely valuable to our squad in the two title wins in the past few years was never going to end well considering both are top 5 in the PL for their respected positions. Realistically (Or unrealistically) I think we should of maybe looked at offloading Cesc or benching him at the least and pursued a Veratti or Jorginho like player (although I’d imagine Cesc would be excellent in a 3 with Matic and Kante. Wishful thinking but think Cesc was more a problem than Matic when we didn’t have the ball as opposed to Matic when we have the ball. Ultimately the board fucked us there I feel.

Costa may have downed tools so to speak since January but he was still key in some matches, still took chances, he had a similar situation under Jose in the second half of his first season. I just think for such a great manager like Conte to alienate somebody without properly securing a more than suitable, better or like for like replacement is idiotic, Costa said he would have stayed and came back to get himself into contention. I think even to January it would have been better to have him that not.

To go into a unrelated point I think if Conte doesn’t get a good set of results in November he could be facing the sack. Honestly we’ve sacked managers for less.

It is evident that Conte trusted the board more than he should.
For instance the way he handled the Costa affair.
He did n't really like Diego, he thought I can replace him in one day with a better striker.
In the end he was left wanting and now he is helpless.
The target seems to be to finish in the top four and the stage of 8 in the CL - at best.

The problem is, has and will be that our players are way more powerful than the club and manager which is why we see this pattern repeating itself.

Look at what Pochettino has done with the spurs team I wouldn't have dreamed in a million years that they would beat Real Madrid even if it is only the group stage that is quite a statement IMO.

I think he needs to perfect his 3-5-2 and should have adapted with changing needs. I thought he believed in hard work and making sure that everyone knew their role when they are on the pitch but that doesn't seem to be the case. I really hope that he stays and can over turn all this and board backs him with rebuilding project by giving him the players he wants/needs.

11 hours ago, Tomo said:

If there's no "big" name then it's up to one of our scout's to think outside the box and identify a manager. It can be done  Zidane, Pochettino and Conte himself at Juve are living proof of that.

There is one "BIG" name out there.  Proven Premier League Manager, former national team manager, available on a free.   

Let's get Big Sam in charge. 

15 minutes ago, bluephoenix said:

The problem is, has and will be that our players are way more powerful than the club and manager which is why we see this pattern repeating itself.

Look at what Pochettino has done with the spurs team I wouldn't have dreamed in a million years that they would beat Real Madrid even if it is only the group stage that is quite a statement IMO.

I think he needs to perfect his 3-5-2 and should have adapted with changing needs. I thought he believed in hard work and making sure that everyone knew their role when they are on the pitch but that doesn't seem to be the case. I really hope that he stays and can over turn all this and board backs him with rebuilding project by giving him the players he wants/needs.

Real are a disaster area after the tax scandals and so are Atletico.
RM were horrible against Girona last Sunday (lost 2-1)

10 hours ago, Jason said:

Hire manager.

Win a major trophy.

Players down tool.

Manager struggles.

Board sack manager.

Rinse and repeat.

The question should be: How are experienced professionals allowed to down tools during the season?

I get the feeling that the players who ditched Mourinho in his 2nd spell may be doing the same thing to Conte this season...

it could be anyone out of Courtois, Cahill, Fabregas, Hazard, Pedro, Willian

I know we'd still get managers and that but surely the club/job will look less appealing and potential people think is it worth it. Chances are sacked after 2 seasons..board are a bit crap and the players may decide nah sod this.

Guess see what happens and hope he can turn it around cause things get daft.

12 hours ago, manpe said:

This might have something to do with the fact that we never build on our successes. Instead we tend to ignore obvious flaws and let the squad grow stale and complacent with little to no upgrades. Then the new manager comes, everybody wants to impress and play to their best for a while, once established they down their tools and the cycle continues with the manager's head on the chopping block. Mourinho and Conte both stressed many times that every successful team needs fresh blood and improvements every year, a message that our board wants to hear none of.

It comes down to signing. The last two times we won the league, our signing has been dreadful. It is as simple as that.

Jose season, it was clear that we need a cb and a fb to replace luis. We could not afford to sign stones and we signed baba and one cb that I don't even remember his name.

This season. Again we need to improve our WB. We signed Zap.

We need better scout and connection to other clubs because It is clear we cannot compete for top talent.

8 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

I know we'd still get managers and that but surely the club/job will look less appealing and potential people think is it worth it. Chances are sacked after 2 seasons..board are a bit crap and the players may decide nah sod this.

Guess see what happens and hope he can turn it around cause things get daft.

I think once kante and drikwater get fit we should be much better. 

People still using the excuse of players lacking motivation.

At this point I dont how some people still dont realize Conte is easily the most one dimensional manager of Abramovich era. He is a one trick manager. When it works, it works, but when things are not going well, after 15 minutes into the game we know the outcome of the match.

He relies on his 3CB system, and people already realized how to stop it. Not a surprise an italian side outclassed Conte in 2 games in a row. In Italy Contes tactics are old story.