The Conte Thread

Some games you can do little else expect question his selection. Cesc cannot start 5-6 in a row and it's been evident since the Forest game, his decision to start Azpi at RWB made no sense either.

Less said about his treatment of a CF that won him the biggest game this season thus far, the better.

2 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Worst tactical performance in a big game since the Atletico away semi final. Shocking stuff from Conte, genuinely can’t understand his dislike for Michy. I hope he’s learnt his lesson. 

Genuinely cant believe he set us up to play like the away team today. Such an embarrassing performance. Gave City way too much respect. This is a huge result for them. 

Skipper, I honesltly couldn't believe what I just watched. I've already voiced my concerns for this season ^^^. I'm going to do other activities that make me happy. Gutted right now. 

I think he was too pragmatic. Today he should have taken more risks. To play Azpi at RWB rather than Zappa, also Willian over Michy. Heck I think even Kenedy should have been in contention for a place. The moment Morata was pulled off, he needed to bring in Michy(real 9) or switch to 2 midfielders.

19 minutes ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

It's not so much team selection.

(1) Low block for 90 mins. 5 at the back + Kante + Bakayoko shielding that. Our wingbacks were pinned back for 90 mins. Conte's fault

(2) No high press when City were attempting to pass from the back. Even Mourinho tried the high press when he knew his team couldn't cope with the technique of a top team's midifeld. This is one thing I absolutely hate Conte refuses to do. For.Some.Weird.Reason. Conte's fault.

(3) Willian, one of the most wasteful players in our squad who can hardly be considered a scoring threat replaces our main striker instead of Batshuayi. Conte's fault

(4) No answer to the offside trap.

(5) No answer to City's switching on and especially off the ball. Conte's fault

Tactically, I saw zero from Conte today. This was far worse than the United away game last season because there we had legitimate team selection problems. Here even before Morata went off, we were getting outclassed. 

Thank god we only face City twice every season. Can't bare to watch that again. Conte needs to find a way to handle possession based high calibre teams with technically gifted midfields. That is essentially what all the favourites for the Champions League are. Judging by what I've seen today, we have no chance of winning that. We have to consolidate on dominating the small teams this season. It's our only chance to retain our title. 

I think we can forget about the title..Need to focus on being in top 4....Anyway what is the point of that if we get knocked out against a top side...Board and Manager need to show ambtition...They need to realise that Chelsea is one of the biggest clubs in the world..They need to start acting like they are a big club

14 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Less said about his treatment of a CF that won him the biggest game this season thus far, the better

this, i cant believe Conte didnt put Michy on when Morata got injured, what kind of message does this send to Michy , even after scoring the winner against Atletico? Conte lost the plot and that´s 2 games against top opposition at home with only 1 point from those games, simply not good enough, he needs to sort his mess. Cheers

I don't think we have the technical quality to compete with top sides. We always lose the midfield battle against the good teams. This team is still short of 2-3 players and maybe a manager before it gets to competing against the best. I don't think Bakayoko was the right choice for us. Too similar to Kante and keeps giving the ball away in midfield. City pressed us high up and we struggled to complete two passes.

3 minutes ago, nono said:

I don't think we have the technical quality to compete with top sides. We always lose the midfield battle against the good teams. This team is still short of 2-3 players and maybe a manager before it gets to competing against the best. I don't think Bakayoko was the right choice for us. Too similar to Kante and keeps giving the ball away in midfield. City pressed us high up and we struggled to complete two passes.

I'm starting to fear that Conte can't implement the style of Man City even if he was given the players to do so. It's not just about having technical quality. You have to be able to implement it and Conte has shown no signs he could ever coach possession based football to the level of Pochettino let alone Guardiola. There's a reason why Bakayoko was our midfield marquee signing. 

I want to get this post in before the thread turns into a shitshow. Today's performance was bad and there's no doubt about that, but I feel as if people were losing perspective in the match thread. Yes we were outplayed, it's happened before and it will happen again, but this performance wasn't even the worst Chelsea performance under Conte, let alone the past decade. Last years defeat to Arsenal was much much much worse, and not just because it was Arsenal. With that being said, Conte's decisions today do deserve some criticism. But decision making is not as black and white as people make it out to be. Take for instance the decision to not sub on Batshuyai. The team needed an outlet, especially with the way we set up, but does Batshuyai bring that? We've seen enough of him to know that his hold up play is the weakest part of his game. Had Batshuyai been brought on for Morata the game very easily could have played out the same way it did when Willian came on. Of course, Willian has his own weaknesses, and Conte could have subbed Pedro on instead of Willian, but these all have pros and cons. The thing that stood out most today was how city had more attacking talent on the field than we do in our whole squad, plus they were missing Aguero, and they have players like B. Silva on the bench. But we all knew this. We knew coming into this game that City were more talented and in top form. It doesn't excuse the performance, but it sure as hell adds the much needed perspective. Chelsea aren't the most talented team in the Prem and we can't act as if every bad result is the end of our season.

43 minutes ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

Skipper, I honesltly couldn't believe what I just watched. I've already voiced my concerns for this season ^^^. I'm going to do other activities that make me happy. Gutted right now. 

Same. Truly appalled. It’s a recurring theme - in the PL we seem to give the big teams way too much respect this season. Same against Arsenal a few games back. 

2 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Same. Truly appalled. It’s a recurring theme - in the PL we seem to give the big teams way too much respect this season. Same against Arsenal a few games back. 

We didn't play well against Arsenal but why can't people just take those arrogant glasses off and accept that they played well on that day to stop us? We were a lot more offensive on that day than today but just couldn't create anything to break them down.

14 minutes ago, Panic said:

Take for instance the decision to not sub on Batshuyai. The team needed an outlet, especially with the way we set up, but does Batshuyai bring that?

Batshuayi is much more of an outlet than Willian. It was just a massive mistake from Conte who doesn’t really like Batshuayi to begin with. He read the game in completely the wrong manner. Willian is dead in the final third. 

3 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

They played well but we didn’t. We were more offensive in that game but that’s not exactly hard is it?

Then you expected to play an open attacking game against City? Only a fool would do that especially with the players and playing style we got.

7 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

We played with 9 men behind the ball today, at home. I don’t care if it’s City or Barcelona or PSG or Madrid, we have enough quality in the team to not play like that at home.

We set up to play on the break, something we have done countless of times over the years, but we were certainly forced to sit back a lot more than we like because we couldn't keep possession to save our lives, even after Morata went off. City just ended up passing the ball and tiring us out knowing we just played days ago in Madrid. Were you complaining when we pretty much played the same way last season against City?

9 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Conte gave Arsenal too much respect, and he gave City even more. 

How did he give Arsenal too much respect when we tried to go for the win but just happened to come against a useful Arsenal for once?

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

Then you expected to play an open attacking game against City? Only a fool would do that especially with the players and playing style we got.

We set up to play on the break, something we have done countless of times over the years, but we were certainly forced to sit back a lot more than we like because we couldn't keep possession to save our lives, even after Morata went off. City just ended up passing the ball and tiring us out knowing we just played days ago in Madrid. Were you complaining when we pretty much played the same way last season against City?

How did he give Arsenal too much respect when we tried to go for the win but just happened to come against a useful Arsenal for once?

No, don’t expect to play an open attacking game against City but we could’ve approached the game in a much more positive manner. Instead of trying to get the best out of the best talent in our team (Hazard) we were only too worried about the threats City offered. We didn’t cause them any sort of problems, why? 

We set up to play on the break but we’re the home team. After Morata went off we went from playing on the break to playing for a draw. That’s when the performance went downhill - Conte didn’t want to risk playing with a CF that could’ve stretched the City back line a bit more, even though we already had 9/10 men behind the ball. That was the biggest problem of this performance alongside the rest of Conte’s in game management that @MrExcalibur100 outlined pretty well. 

As soon as he chose Willian instead of Michy I knew we were finished. That was the difference between our performance last season and the one we’ve just witnessed. Completely lost the ambition and mentality to win the game. Look at Conte’s post match comments, he’s actually ok with the performance.