test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Special Juan

The Conte Thread

Started by Special Juan,

8,571 posts in this topic

Looks to me that we'd be better off having Roman sell the club to a group that has ambition and vision for a football club rather than pissing about with a budget team and a constant stream of new managers.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Wasn't similar said when Jose was on his last legs here? We certainly ended up getting better and doing okay then. Not that i want Conte sacked but if it get's to the point where his tenure is damaged beyond repair for whatever reason, it's not in anyone's best interest to cling on.

True, but we were fortunate that a big name manager like Conte was available. Are there any that could be had now? Ancelotti is but I don't think he'd be the right guy at this point. 

35 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

But we've only got better for one season. Jose went..Conte came in the summer..won the league and fast forward a season and back to where always end up..just always seems to be a short term thing these days. Good at having 2 or a 1 year manager really 

Not best interest to hang on but it's  so predictable.We sack him it won't change for long. Still same bunch of players,still same issues and it'll happen again with the next manager anyway. Which seems why they only last at most 2 seasons if that. 

Just seems mad that since 2007 we've had 10 different people in charge...and 7 'long term' managers including Jose his 2nd time...

This might have something to do with the fact that we never build on our successes. Instead we tend to ignore obvious flaws and let the squad grow stale and complacent with little to no upgrades. Then the new manager comes, everybody wants to impress and play to their best for a while, once established they down their tools and the cycle continues with the manager's head on the chopping block. Mourinho and Conte both stressed many times that every successful team needs fresh blood and improvements every year, a message that our board wants to hear none of.

Laylabelle and Fernando like this

This is actually really concerning about our club no manager has able to keep the players motivated or play at peak level for more than a year. Why is that?

Is there something wrong with the club? players? manager?

I mean last season people were raving about how Conte is mastermind the best, we are in a slump now and the opinions seemed to have reversed.

Why can't we go back to back seasons winning and not having to go through the pain of seeing the manager leave as a solution to all our problems?

Fernando likes this

1 hour ago, Laylabelle said:

Bst seems mad that since 2007 we've had 10 different people in charge...and 7 'long term' managers including Jose his 2nd time...

Meh, not that big on longterm i mean if we can get it great but our method's with manager's hardly hold's us back. 

43 minutes ago, quickpassnmove said:

Where does the threat come from then when you have one winger position not filled by a real threat (willian/pedro/musonda), wingbacks that are NOT a consistent threat going forward and at least one noob/slow CM in a MF that can't control matches and must compensate for Cahill and Alonso at the back?  

Given all of this, I expect us to fall further in the table unless Kante returns and once again keeps us a bit above the mid-table sides --which I doubt he can continue to do.

Pedro not a consistent threat?

40 minutes ago, quickpassnmove said:

Looks to me that we'd be better off having Roman sell the club to a group that has ambition and vision for a football club rather than pissing about with a budget team and new managers with zero footballing vision.

Or he sells to Hicks and Gillett and we end up in administration within 3 year's.

40 minutes ago, Pizy said:

True, but we were fortunate that a big name manager like Conte was available. Are there any that could be had now? Ancelotti is but I don't think he'd be the right guy at this point. 

If there's no "big" name then it's up to one of our scout's to think outside the box and identify a manager. It can be done  Zidane, Pochettino and Conte himself at Juve are living proof of that.

38 minutes ago, manpe said:

This might have something to do with the fact that we never build on our successes. Instead we tend to ignore obvious flaws and let the squad grow stale and complacent with little to no upgrades. Then the new manager comes, everybody wants to impress and play to their best for a while, once established they down their tools and the cycle continues with the manager's head on the chopping block. Mourinho and Conte both stressed many times that every successful team needs fresh blood and improvements every year, a message that our board wants to hear none of.

Yep and that's why keep going round in a stupid circle. Think pretty much most on here predicted this season be long and hard for the reason we didn't invest where we should've. Brought players who have added no impact and here we go again... Surley be cheaper just to give managers a year by year contact as never get to see it out.

30 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Meh, not that big on longterm i mean if we can get it great but our method's with manager's hardly hold's us back. 

Pedro not a consistent threat?

Or he sells to Hicks and Gillett and we end up in administration within 3 year's.

If there's no "big" name then it's up to one of our scout's to think outside the box and identify a manager. It can be done  Zidane, Pochettino and Conte himself at Juve are living proof of that.

At a club like this where you're demanded to win immedietly or you get the sack I'm not sure Roman will risk a young up and comer. Especially after the AVB debacle.

11Drogba and Reddish-Blue like this

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hire manager.

Win a major trophy.

Players down tool.

Manager struggles.

Board sack manager.

Rinse and repeat.

You missed the key point between win major trophy and players down tools - fail to improve squad in summer transfer window. That causes the rest.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hire manager.

Win a major trophy.

Players down tool.

Manager struggles.

Board sack manager.

Rinse and repeat.

Round and round we go.. To predictable now! Thought be different this time but looks like nope! Here we go again. And again and again.  

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

At a club like this where you're demanded to win immedietly or you get the sack I'm not sure Roman will risk a young up and comer. Especially after the AVB debacle.

I don't think it's a case of win immediately i think it's a case of show some positive signs, which AVB failed to do. If for argument sake Conte walks in May and we appoint Marco Silva and he has a similar season to say Pochettino's first at Spurs i genuinely believe he will get all the time he needs, infact i'd bet anything he would.

Reddish-Blue likes this

19 hours ago, Jason said:

1. Think if given the chance, Conte would have wanted Terry to stay but he clearly still wants to play and is not going to get that here. Had to leave.

2. Conte may be at fault - to an extent - on his handling of Costa but it's been said many times, let's not pretend Costa hadn't downed tools since January and given his erratic contribution/behavior ever since, you can't blame Conte for saying 'enough is enough' with him.

4. Selling Costa and Matic would have been fine had we bought well but the poor recruitment only really compounded those outgoings.

Yeah valid points but again realistically selling Costa and Matic, two players who were extremely valuable to our squad in the two title wins in the past few years was never going to end well considering both are top 5 in the PL for their respected positions. Realistically (Or unrealistically) I think we should of maybe looked at offloading Cesc or benching him at the least and pursued a Veratti or Jorginho like player (although I’d imagine Cesc would be excellent in a 3 with Matic and Kante. Wishful thinking but think Cesc was more a problem than Matic when we didn’t have the ball as opposed to Matic when we have the ball. Ultimately the board fucked us there I feel.

Costa may have downed tools so to speak since January but he was still key in some matches, still took chances, he had a similar situation under Jose in the second half of his first season. I just think for such a great manager like Conte to alienate somebody without properly securing a more than suitable, better or like for like replacement is idiotic, Costa said he would have stayed and came back to get himself into contention. I think even to January it would have been better to have him that not.

To go into a unrelated point I think if Conte doesn’t get a good set of results in November he could be facing the sack. Honestly we’ve sacked managers for less.

It is evident that Conte trusted the board more than he should.
For instance the way he handled the Costa affair.
He did n't really like Diego, he thought I can replace him in one day with a better striker.
In the end he was left wanting and now he is helpless.
The target seems to be to finish in the top four and the stage of 8 in the CL - at best.

11Drogba and AlesJuve like this

The problem is, has and will be that our players are way more powerful than the club and manager which is why we see this pattern repeating itself.

Look at what Pochettino has done with the spurs team I wouldn't have dreamed in a million years that they would beat Real Madrid even if it is only the group stage that is quite a statement IMO.

I think he needs to perfect his 3-5-2 and should have adapted with changing needs. I thought he believed in hard work and making sure that everyone knew their role when they are on the pitch but that doesn't seem to be the case. I really hope that he stays and can over turn all this and board backs him with rebuilding project by giving him the players he wants/needs.

11 hours ago, Tomo said:

There is one "BIG" name out there.  Proven Premier League Manager, former national team manager, available on a free.   

Let's get Big Sam in charge. 

Tomo and Sideshow Luiz like this

15 minutes ago, bluephoenix said:

The problem is, has and will be that our players are way more powerful than the club and manager which is why we see this pattern repeating itself.

Look at what Pochettino has done with the spurs team I wouldn't have dreamed in a million years that they would beat Real Madrid even if it is only the group stage that is quite a statement IMO.

I think he needs to perfect his 3-5-2 and should have adapted with changing needs. I thought he believed in hard work and making sure that everyone knew their role when they are on the pitch but that doesn't seem to be the case. I really hope that he stays and can over turn all this and board backs him with rebuilding project by giving him the players he wants/needs.

Real are a disaster area after the tax scandals and so are Atletico.
RM were horrible against Girona last Sunday (lost 2-1)

11Drogba likes this

10 hours ago, Jason said:

Hire manager.

Win a major trophy.

Players down tool.

Manager struggles.

Board sack manager.

Rinse and repeat.

The question should be: How are experienced professionals allowed to down tools during the season?

I get the feeling that the players who ditched Mourinho in his 2nd spell may be doing the same thing to Conte this season...

it could be anyone out of Courtois, Cahill, Fabregas, Hazard, Pedro, Willian

bluephoenix likes this

I know we'd still get managers and that but surely the club/job will look less appealing and potential people think is it worth it. Chances are sacked after 2 seasons..board are a bit crap and the players may decide nah sod this.

Guess see what happens and hope he can turn it around cause things get daft.