The Conte Thread

General consensus amongst pundits and journalists seems to be that we've taken a step back this summer, that we won't really compete for the title, that we made a ridiculous decision to sell Matic to United, and that Conte isn't long for the job.
Hard to disagree with any of that, sadly.

Same people who wrote us off last season.
There are more sensible people here than on TV, albeit not many. Their opinions are as good as yours... Which isn't right or wrong, but I don't get why you made this an argument.
We got rid of an average player, who once had a very good season in the title campaign a few years back and who was going to sit in our bench, moved him to be a starter in a rival. We might get another average player, who was also solid in a title a couple of years ago, to be our 4th choice in midfield. See the difference?

29 minutes ago, Tomo said:

It has happened once in how many year's? Why is it more likely to be another Papy/Hector end of window as opposed to another Alonso/Luiz, Willian or Remy type?

Well we shall see. 

I'm just getting that notion that this is what will happen. 

They can't close any good target and will just get players to be sent out on loan. 

14 minutes ago, Barbara said:

Same people who wrote us off last season.
There are more sensible people here than on TV, albeit not many. Their opinions are as good as yours... Which isn't right or wrong, but I don't get why you made this an argument.
We got rid of an average player, who once had a very good season in the title campaign a few years back and who was going to sit in our bench, moved him to be a starter in a rival. We might get another average player, who was also solid in a title a couple of years ago, to be our 4th choice in midfield. See the difference?

I don't think we'll really miss Matic but I definitely think he'll improve United considerably. Honestly, selling him is pretty far down on my list of annoyances this summer. Not immedietly going after and nailing down the managers top targets is number 1. Followed closely by waiting until this late and still not having any depth in several key positions.

Their opinions my be just as valid as ours, but in truth it is very difficult to make the case that we've improved our team so far. With Hazard and Bakayoko out along with Diego exiled you'd have to agree that we now enter the new season worse than we ended last. 

50 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Losing Costa is a step back imo

Defiantly, but Spurs (our closest challengers) look set to lose both there first choice fullback's (and Fortress WHL) which is an even bigger blow. City granted have strengthened significantly but i don't think the other 3 have done enough  (so far) to close the gap despite us losing Costa. 

38 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Well we shall see. 

I'm just getting that notion that this is what will happen. 

They can't close any good target and will just get players to be sent out on loan. 

I think we are going out for Sandro, and if we can't we will then go for an Alonso esque signing, likely Cancelo.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Defiantly, but Spurs (our closest challengers) look set to lose both there first choice fullback's (and Fortress WHL) which is an even bigger blow. City granted have strengthened significantly but i don't think the other 3 have done enough  (so far) to close the gap despite us losing Costa

I think Utd needlessly bought Lukaku, and Ibra is a better forward despite his age-  Citeh have an array of expensive individuals, but what made us so potent last season was the team ethic, and the formation (that everyone seems to now be copying). 

Incidentally Pochettino was just on R5 saying they will buy 2 or 3 new players before the end of the window

19 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

I think Utd needlessly bought Lukaku, and Ibra is a better forward despite his age

The narrative is quite funny now isn't it? 

First, United want Morata and we want Lukaku. Then Lukaku signs for United and we get Morata. Fans do a topsyturvy the whole way ("Conte wants Morata, Emenalo wants Lukaku" "Board fucked up, Conte wanted Lukaku now we're stuck with Morata")

Anyway in regards to the bit I've pulled out, perhaps but I think they didn't anticipate Ibra's recovery time and went all out then the opportunity arose. It's a dream line up, shades of Drogba, Eto'o, Torres except none were in their prime (ironically when Lukaku himself left). Imagine now they've paid what they have, Lukaku will continue to play ahead even when Ibra's fit.

Either way, it's a nice problem to have :lol: . We've got Morata, Batshuayi and Remy which I guess gives us alternative styles? 

Just now, LDN Blue said:

The narrative is quite funny now isn't it? 

First, United want Morata and we want Lukaku. Then Lukaku signs for United and we get Morata. Fans do a topsyturvy the whole way ("Conte wants Morata, Emenalo wants Lukaku" "Board fucked up, Conte wanted Lukaku now we're stuck with Morata")

Anyway in regards to the bit I've pulled out, perhaps but I think they didn't anticipate Ibra's recovery time and went all out then the opportunity arose. It's a dream line up, shades of Drogba, Eto'o, Torres except none were in their prime (ironically when Lukaku himself left). Imagine now they've paid what they have, Lukaku will continue to play ahead even when Ibra's fit.

Yeah can see Jose sending Ibra on @ 70th minute if Lukaku isn't performing

Lol -it's like life isn't it ? The grass is always greener, you always think the other person/team has a better advantage. 

THOU MUST NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOURS ASS or Wife or something, WIFES ASS. 

3 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Yeah can see Jose sending Ibra on @ 70th minute if Lukaku isn't performing

Lol -it's like life isn't it ? The grass is always greener, you always think the other person/team has a better advantage. 

THOU MUST NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOURS ASS or Wife or something, WIFES ASS. 

Indeed. It's a shame because I do think Morata could be a great player but when we're not spending £30m+ on anyone else fans are gonna play Torres card on Morata :lol:. Poor guy probably should've taken 11 and Pedro takes 9. 

It's a shame Costa can't be around to play for 6 months then go back to Spain. Costa, Morata & Michy would be amazing and would solve a few problems already

Just now, LDN Blue said:

Indeed. It's a shame because I do think Morata could be a great player but when we're not spending £30m+ on anyone else fans are gonna play Torres card on Morata :lol:. Poor guy probably should've taken 11 and Pedro takes 9. 

It's a shame Costa can't be around to play for 6 months then go back to Spain. Costa, Morata & Michy would be amazing and would solve a few problems already

True ...or Didier or Crespo...:P

Morata might surprise us all

5 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Hope he does! There's a lot of pressure on Hazard when he returns to make our team flow as well as last season, so let's hope Willian, Pedro and others Musonda  are scoring too

12 hours ago, LDN Blue said:

Hope he does! There's a lot of pressure on Hazard when he returns to make our team flow as well as last season, so let's hope Willian, Pedro and others Musonda  are scoring too

Yes definitely, hopefully Contes putting them through their paces. Impressed with Pedro in the pre seasons till he got attacked, he seems to be improving. 

13 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

True ...or Didier or Crespo...:P

Surprise he is a 70m striker. If he makes an impact and scores 30 goals in his first season than that would be what should be expected given the pricetag.