The Conte Thread

The problem is there is still time but there's been plenty of time already and as getting nearer the end little activity. Ideally you'd want time to gel players together but that looks unlikely. If gets to last week and still in the situation then can see it being a long season. Especially being in more competitions the tiredness and injury chances and all..

Just hope conte is given the chance and time! Can't blame him for no signings 

21 minutes ago, xPetrCechx said:

It is just 10 days until the 2017/18 Premier League season kicks off, and currently the reigning champions have 17 senior players on their books. 
:doh:

Situation is even worse. It's 4 days before first official match, CS is not a friendly game. 

Remeber we started last season with 3 more senior players (20) than this one and we feared the squad was thin back then. If Hazard, Pedro, Bakayoko and Moses 4 nailed-on starters weren't injured/suspended or if we would actually be able to make those 4 signings we badly need this would not be a problem for the opening weeks. But those are two big IFs and I am not sure we will be able to do anything over those. I see English clubs are having a hard time on the transfer market but shipping out as many players as possible before we even make any meaningful signings, reducing the squad to a mere skeleton is what we have done for years now and in the absence of luck like in the last two title seasons it has cost us dearly.

Actually it is 18, not 17, if you counting Christensen in. Yes only 2 have left from our starter last season, and would agree if everyone is fit, we've a good squad. But still we have lack in quality and number to compete in 4 tournaments. The likes of Baker, Kenedy and Musonda could filled in the squad, but they are not ready yet. You just can't compete in 4 tournaments with only 21 players.

6 hours ago, DDA said:

Although I agree with most of what you said, you have to take into consideration that we wasn't playing Champions League last season. 

We're not playing the Champions league for at least another 2 months...we should have signings made before that

34 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

We're not playing the Champions league for at least another 2 months...we should have signings made before that

I hope you are correct man. I really do. We need Drinkwater badly.

9 hours ago, DDA said:

Although I agree with most of what you said, you have to take into consideration that we wasn't playing Champions League last season. 

and it's not like Costa and Matic were backups or rotation, so losing them (esp costa) could potentially become a huge deal.

2 hours ago, Robguima said:

and it's not like Costa and Matic were backups or rotation, so losing them (esp costa) could potentially become a huge deal.

We have replaced Costa with Morata and it seems Bats is going to get a proper run of games this time out, unlike last season. So I feel we are covered in that area. Matic is a loss that hasn't yet been rectified but it is early days cosidering he only left a fee days ago. Lets just hope we replace him properly.

10 minutes ago, DDA said:

We have replaced Costa with Morata and it seems Bats is going to get a proper run of games this time out, unlike last season. So I feel we are covered in that area. Matic is a loss that hasn't yet been rectified but it is early days cosidering he only left a fee days ago. Lets just hope we replace him properly.

We will be covered in that area when and if whoever plays up front can actually score goals. That will determine how much will miss costa.

I think it is very likely neither striker can score like costa tbh.

15 hours ago, Henrique said:

This post represents how pessimistic this forum is. I remember last season when we were 10 points from Spurs, Jason was posting everyday how he was feelings Spurs was going to win the league. 

Seriously, except for Matic and Costa, the players that are leaving the club are leaving because they are not playing at all. Terry, Ake, Zouma, Chalouba...they barely played last season, and would struggle to even make bench. City and United both were a disaster last season, so its obvious they are the ones who should be buying like no tomorrow. 

The press is saying only 17 players are available, last season I think we had like 13 essential players: the regular starting 11 + Fabregas and William.  With the addition of Rudiger, now we have 4 players that can play as CB, instead of 3, and Azpi can play as RWB, a natural position for him.

Saying the squad is horrendous and fucking weak is a very naive thing to say.

That was last season.The squad wont be able to deal with four competitions, and Antonio is smart enough to let go at least two if he starts the season with this squad.

We were lucky to play three competitions with 13 essential players with barely no injuries, and we were lucky to find a manager who came with some great ideas. Call it luck or good medical departments, some constants from last season may actually change this time, we've seen it all before. Now, we are facing a serious task, continuity, and thats where everyone is pessimistic. We replaced Matic & Costa, added a defender, but we also let a super player in Aké go, so we are still basically replacing one with another. I'm not sure our additions are actually making the team better in terms of quality, they are just making the team a bit less thinner. 

City's season wasnt a disaster, and United's UCL qualification made their season successful, City ended their PL campaign playing really well and with their signings, can actually hope for some continuity because they improved the squad, Mourinho's second seasons are always good. The board is letting our manager down, the best we can hope with this squad is for Morata to flourish and Eden to continue to deliver, and Fabregas to be on top of his game, Bakayoko wont need that much efforts to do more than Matic, the best we can hope is a top four finish.

1 hour ago, Robguima said:

We will be covered in that area when and if whoever plays up front can actually score goals. That will determine how much will miss costa.

I think it is very likely neither striker can score like costa tbh.

True say. I personally have little confidence in Morata. I am starting to think Lukaku was the right man for us. He is going to be a beast at United. Give Bats a chance though. I think he has huge potential.. he needs that all important game time.