The Conte Thread

20 minutes ago, the wes said:

Conte said today morata was chelsea 1st choice who the fuck put a bid in for lukaku then ? I'm confused :blink:

I'm not sure he said that Morata "was" our first choice. He said Morata "is" our first choice, i.e now he's first in pecking order between strikers.

We'll just pretend that Conte never wanted Lukaku, not even at his previous club, and ignore all the reports mentioning that Conte had been in contact with him. :ph34r: It doesn't matter anyway, I think Conte would have been fine with either of them.

'I don't like to talk about players who are not here,' said Conte, speaking for the first time since the infamous text message sent to Costa at the end of the season to inform him he would be allowed to leave.

'In January, the Costa situation was made very clear. For the club, for him and his agent and for me the situation is closed.'

Morata, who underwent a medical in London on Thursday, will cost a club record fee which starts at £58million and could rise to £70m.

'For sure this transfer market is crazy,' said Conte. 'Not only for this season, but now if you want to buy a simple player - a normal player - you have to start to think about spending 40 to 50 million euros.

'It's incredible this situation but there is this situation and we must live with it.

'Lukaku cost a lot of money but the same with [Alex] Lacazette and Arsenal who spent 65m euros. For a right-back you spend 60-70m euros. This is the situation now.

'We must be very good and not make a mistake when we buy a player. You have to spend a lot and it is very important to make the right choice.'

Morata is expected to complete his move before the weekend and join up with the Chelsea squad on the next leg of their tour in Singapore.

'This is a good signing for us,' said Conte. 'Morata is a young player but he has a lot of experience and played in the past with Real Madrid and Juventus in the league and the Champions League.

'He's a good striker, a player with the right prospects for Chelsea. He will be our first-choice. He can show his value with us. He is young and can improve a lot.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4717626/Conte-reveals-decision-axe-Costa-January.html

21 hours ago, Barbara said:

Dude, Morata's words, Conte's decision in 2014, our interest on him last summer, Morata's admission of a personal call from Conte last season, the timing of Conte's new contract and Morata's deal should make it clear to everyone what Conte's first choice was.
And Matt Law confirmed it.

me too :Goober:

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte admits he considered his options after first year

Antonio Conte has indicated that he considered leaving Chelsea despite winning the Premier League last season, saying his first year in England was "very tough" on a personal level.

Former Juventus boss Conte took charge at Stamford Bridge after overseeing Italy's Euro 2016 campaign, but his wife and nine-year-old daughter did not join him in England.

He eventually committed to a new contract this month -- improving the terms of the final two years of his deal -- but has acknowledged he was weighing up his options even after winning the title.

"After a tough season, it's very important always to look back, to see the season and then to understand very well," he said in the Mail on Sunday when asked if had considered his future in May.

"It was very important for me because it was my first season in England, a new country without my family, and it was important to understand my situation in all aspects, OK?

"For sure, I enjoyed the season in England and with Chelsea, but I must be honest, it was very tough for me and for my family. Sometimes when you win, you think that everything is easy, but it wasn't to win and to have this type of season."

His family will join him in England for the coming season, and he said: "To stay another season without the family would be very hard, very difficult.

"My daughter is at an age when it's very important to see her grow, to stay every day with her, and also with my wife, because she would be jealous for this. They are coming. My family is very important.

"I think it will show my commitment to the club, to this project and to try -- I repeat -- to build something important."

Chelsea have made some significant signings this month, with defender Antonio Rudiger, midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko and striker Alvaro Morata joining, but the only arrivals when the transfer window opened on July 1 were backup goalkeeper Willy Caballero and youngster Ethan Ampadu, who joined from Exeter.

Manchester United beat Chelsea to the signing of Romelu Lukaku and, while Conte says he considers Morata to be "at the same level" as the Belgium international, he suggested he had been concerned by the club's lack of success in the market earlier in the summer.

Conte, who was reported to have left Juve in 2014 due to a lack of investment, said: "We found the right view about the future of this club.

"I repeat, we are a great club but we are in a moment where we can't make a mistake because it's very dangerous. We don't have a lot of space to make mistakes. We need to improve and increase our squad to be something important for the present, and also for our future."

He added: "For every manager it is important to explain your idea. It's very important that the club understand your idea and the club is ready also to work together, to try together, and to have this solid foundation. I can want this, but if I'm alone it's very difficult to do this."

Asked if that meant he had considered walking away, he replied: "For sure, my decision was always to stay with Chelsea and continue this work, but you know very well that our job is not simple and anything can happen during our path and our career.

"My desire, and the club's, was to continue this work and, for this reason I renew a contract. Now it's right to start to work together and it's very important to know that there's a lot of work to do."

Sounds like he's happy with what we've brought in so far but isn't close to satisfied yet overall. I hope we're in for at least 3 more players of high quality. Conte knows he won't be able to use the same players week in and week out for a entire season in multiple competitions.

He's putting a load of pressure on the board by saying this publicly and I'm sure he wouldn't have signed that new contract if they didn't agree with his vision. We need signings at both wing back positions, a CM if Matic goes, and some sort of attacking player that can play in multiple positions across the front 3.

11 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Sounds like he's happy with what we've brought in so far but isn't close to satisfied yet overall. I hope we're in for at least 3 more players of high quality. Conte knows he won't be able to use the same players week in and week out for a entire season in multiple competitions.

He's putting a load of pressure on the board by saying this publicly and I'm sure he wouldn't have signed that new contract if they didn't agree with his vision. We need signings at both wing back positions, a CM if Matic goes, and some sort of attacking player that can play in multiple positions across the front 3.

Alex Sandro, Ox, Carrasco and Renato Sanchez would be perfect.

He is so honest, in a very classy way. Distance from his family and board's transfer inactivity at the beginning of the transfer window made him reconsider his options, from what I understood, but was never on the verge of leaving. And that's ok. Seems to me that he gave the board some "ultimatums" - bring me Morata and other two players and I'll be satisfied.

Our board responded well, they brought Morata and started talks with Ox. Good communication is a key, I'm sure he and the board could often together find good decisions - both parties want the best for the club and both are resonable enough.

6 hours ago, Fernando said:

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte admits he considered his options after first year

Antonio Conte has indicated that he considered leaving Chelsea despite winning the Premier League last season, saying his first year in England was "very tough" on a personal level.

Former Juventus boss Conte took charge at Stamford Bridge after overseeing Italy's Euro 2016 campaign, but his wife and nine-year-old daughter did not join him in England.

He eventually committed to a new contract this month -- improving the terms of the final two years of his deal -- but has acknowledged he was weighing up his options even after winning the title.

"After a tough season, it's very important always to look back, to see the season and then to understand very well," he said in the Mail on Sunday when asked if had considered his future in May.

"It was very important for me because it was my first season in England, a new country without my family, and it was important to understand my situation in all aspects, OK?

"For sure, I enjoyed the season in England and with Chelsea, but I must be honest, it was very tough for me and for my family. Sometimes when you win, you think that everything is easy, but it wasn't to win and to have this type of season."

His family will join him in England for the coming season, and he said: "To stay another season without the family would be very hard, very difficult.

"My daughter is at an age when it's very important to see her grow, to stay every day with her, and also with my wife, because she would be jealous for this. They are coming. My family is very important.

"I think it will show my commitment to the club, to this project and to try -- I repeat -- to build something important."

Chelsea have made some significant signings this month, with defender Antonio Rudiger, midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko and striker Alvaro Morata joining, but the only arrivals when the transfer window opened on July 1 were backup goalkeeper Willy Caballero and youngster Ethan Ampadu, who joined from Exeter.

Manchester United beat Chelsea to the signing of Romelu Lukaku and, while Conte says he considers Morata to be "at the same level" as the Belgium international, he suggested he had been concerned by the club's lack of success in the market earlier in the summer.

Conte, who was reported to have left Juve in 2014 due to a lack of investment, said: "We found the right view about the future of this club.

"I repeat, we are a great club but we are in a moment where we can't make a mistake because it's very dangerous. We don't have a lot of space to make mistakes. We need to improve and increase our squad to be something important for the present, and also for our future."

He added: "For every manager it is important to explain your idea. It's very important that the club understand your idea and the club is ready also to work together, to try together, and to have this solid foundation. I can want this, but if I'm alone it's very difficult to do this."

Asked if that meant he had considered walking away, he replied: "For sure, my decision was always to stay with Chelsea and continue this work, but you know very well that our job is not simple and anything can happen during our path and our career.

"My desire, and the club's, was to continue this work and, for this reason I renew a contract. Now it's right to start to work together and it's very important to know that there's a lot of work to do."

By the sounds of it he was adapting and it wasn't easy, he's still a human being after all. And despite this he bossed the league with a limited squad! His family moving to England has calmed me, it definitely shows his commitment like he said. Can't wait to see him assembling a team like he wants to.

From his words, it seems the only factor he is ever 'considering' to stay or not, is because of family reason. It is pretty normal condition in my opinion. Now that his family will come to London and he has won over the board, he has passed the test and everything looks bright for everyone of us.