The Conte Thread

8 minutes ago, Tomo said:

The centre of the pitch is what needs sorting, Id happily do a deal with the devil and have one more season of Ivan at right back if I'm offered Koulibaly, Christensen return, and two of Radja, Kante and Joao Mario, heck I'll even sign up for a Bosingwa return if we can sort that bloody middle out.

Agree, our biggest strength in recent years was through the middle. Not just the so-called 'spine' of the team of Cech, Terry, Lampard and Drogba but we also had the likes of Gallas, Carvalho, Maka, Ballack, Essien. I don't think any other team touched that at the time from front to back.

Definitely need to get back to that.

9 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

re: Conte comments on counter-attack. I think there is more of an emphasis in his comments about not wanting to sit back without the ball.

When we don't have the ball, I'm sure he is still tactically strong and adept to ensure that the team is organised and hard to break down so I don't see his comments being a negative.

To be honest there has been times when playing the likes of PSG and Barca in recent years (along with some of the big prem teams away) where I'd like to see a bit more adventure in our game anyway because there is no doubt we have our own players who can hurt these teams but sometimes we've seemed to concerned with what the opposition can do rather than what we can do to them.

Agree about PSG but with Barca we hadno choice, that team in 2012 most of our players of one of two profile, ex greats well and truly into father time and players simply not good enough.

Sit back and pray was our only option, and somehow we did it.

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Agree about PSG but with Barca we hadno choice, that team in 2012 most of our players of one of two profile, ex greats well and truly into father time and players simply not good enough.

Sit back and pray was our only option, and somehow we did it.

Yeah that year we did what we had to do and somehow pulled it off. With Barca I have bigger regrets the year we were screwed at the Bridge because we should have taken the game to them more at the Nou Camp. They weren't at the level back then that they become.

Those comments were aimed more though at PSG games and just in general at times over the last 3-4 years. Sitting back when we had such a solid base in defence and midfield back in the day worked, but sitting back and trying to contain when we've had the likes of Hazard, Mata and Fabregas in recent years hasn't worked for a reason.

Absolutely made my day reading those comments. Loved it when we signed Crespo, I won't ever forget that 90th min winner v Wigan!! Really went under the radar when we think of great strikers we had who actually put on a decent showing for us :lol:. Wouldn't go as far he saying he was underrated though. He was good at what he did. 

Its quite funny because out of our major grade one legends of the Roman era, only Drogba and Terry have not joined another English club and won't risk their legacy's by doing it.

The category just below of Cole, Essien, Carvalho and by the  sounds of it Crespo, are the ones that have remained with only us as  far as English clubs are concerned (the first three have all gone on record saying they went out of their way to avoid playing for another English club).

1 hour ago, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

Didn't know where to put this:

What a guy. Hopefully Drogba and John Terry are working at Chelsea If Crespo ever gets his chance. 

Crespo was my favroite all time non Chelsea player before we got him, all that summer it looked like Vieiri was the man we were getting from Inter, when it changed to Crespo in the last minute i was so excited it felt only one step below winning a trophy.

12 hours ago, LDN Blue said:

Absolutely made my day reading those comments. Loved it when we signed Crespo, I won't ever forget that 90th min winner v Wigan!! Really went under the radar when we think of great strikers we had who actually put on a decent showing for us :lol:. Wouldn't go as far he saying he was underrated though. He was good at what he did. 

Agreed, and it always gets on my nerves when some say that he was a 'flop' here. What Crespo where you watching?!

14 minutes ago, Chelsea4 said:

So much hate for Oscar it's unbelievable.Oscar is talented player he can be a really good but the biggest problem is no one used him properly.

He's been played out wide, the number 10 role and has featured in CM in some games....When you say he hasn't been used properly, do you think he will be any good as a LB or maybe a Striker?

1 hour ago, Special Juan said:

He's been played out wide, the number 10 role and has featured in CM in some games....When you say he hasn't been used properly, do you think he will be any good as a LB or maybe a Striker?

Mourinho gave him to much defensive responsibilities even though he did very good in defence and Hiddink was clueless.Conte will get the best out of him.