The Conte Thread

Roman Abramovich met Antonio Conte for talks last week in an attempt to secure the #Chelsea manager’s long-term future at the club. [Times]

They discussed Conte's new contract, key transfer targets and ideas for restructuring certain elements of the club’s operations. [Times]

The Premier League champions are confident that Conte will sign a new deal when he returns for pre-season training next month. [Times]

Conte has kept in touch with Granovskaia and Emenalo almost daily, but direct communication with Abramovich is less regular. [Times]

It's understood Abramovich contacted Conte to suggest a meeting after the manager became frustrated at the slow start to the window. [Times]

On 27/06/2017 at 2:00 PM, xPetrCechx said:

Duncan Castles‏Verified account @DuncanCastles

On top of Bakayoko + Alex Sandro, Conte wants a central midfielder, centre back, right back, winger & 2 strikers.

Why not 11 new players?! :D

With Terry-Ake*-Matic*-Costa*(Oscar-Mikel Jan) leaving/left ,that looks near right , with more games to play this season also!

On 6/27/2017 at 9:00 PM, xPetrCechx said:

On top of Bakayoko + Alex Sandro, Conte wants a central midfielder, centre back, right back, winger & 2 strikers.

I think 3 signings is enough. I will be happy with bakayoko, Sandro and a striker 

2 hours ago, Georgy said:

With Sandro, Bakayoko and Lukaku we can pray Conte does a miracle again in the PL, needless to say no chance in the CL.

I don't get why do we need miracle. Those are good signings, they fix the problem that we have last year. Getting a better moses will be great but great fb is hard to find. 

Assuming we play 433

Hazard - Lukaku - pedro

Bakayoko - fabregas 

Kante

Sandro - cahil - Luiz - azpi

Courtois

That is a very good team, or we can play moses over fab and go to 343

I don't trust Luiz with back 4 but we have Christensen as backup

46 minutes ago, communicate said:

I don't get why do we need miracle. Those are good signings, they fix the problem that we have last year. Getting a better moses will be great but great fb is hard to find. 

Assuming we play 433

Hazard - Lukaku - pedro

Bakayoko - fabregas 

Kante

Sandro - cahil - Luiz - azpi

Courtois

That is a very good team, or we can play moses over fab and go to 343

I don't trust Luiz with back 4 but we have Christensen as backup

How do you reckon that squad would hold up to a full domestic and european season with only 3 signings? And I'm not talking about only the starting XI. I for one am glad that Conte is (reportedly) pushing the board towards action, far too many times in the past they been slacking off and not prioritizing improving the team, this time they have no choice unless they want to risk losing Conte. Imagine the backlash if that happened.. I bet they don't want to imagine it either.

Having good backup and using the right rotation system, will be the key to have a good run in PL as well as in CL. We won't sign six players all to replace our starters, obviously. Think there will be 2 backup player signing, outside GK position.

1 hour ago, manpe said:

How do you reckon that squad would hold up to a full domestic and european season with only 3 signings? And I'm not talking about only the starting XI. I for one am glad that Conte is (reportedly) pushing the board towards action, far too many times in the past they been slacking off and not prioritizing improving the team, this time they have no choice unless they want to risk losing Conte. Imagine the backlash if that happened.. I bet they don't want to imagine it either.

We have Willian,michy, matic, chalobah, christensen, ake, zouma, + a GK. I probably will want one attacking midfielder just because we lose oscar last season. That is a 20 man squad + 5 young players. That is a good squad imo. Not brilliant, but good enough. I assume nobody leaves except Costa, but of course we need more signing if somebody leaves.

I don't think the board is as bad as people think. I have stated multiple times how at one time we have kdb,bertrand,lukaku in our squad, imagine if they are our signing. But finding those kind of players is not easy and more importantly not cheap. The year after we won the league under Mou was imo quite disastrous but finding fullback was difficult and everton wanted 50 m for stones. We got Luiz and Alonso during deadline day lastyear.

Just now, communicate said:

We have Willian,michy, matic, chalobah, christensen, ake, zouma, + a GK. I probably will want one attacking midfielder just because we lose oscar last season. That is a 20 man squad + 5 young players. That is a good squad imo. Not brilliant, but good enough.

Not good enough. We need more than 3 signings.

On 6/27/2017 at 2:00 PM, xPetrCechx said:

Hopefully that is true.

We seen what happened under Mourinho when we won the title a few years ago, we weren't active enough in the transfer market and suffered for it. I hope we can get another two center backs in all fairness now that Ake looks set to go, although Andres Christensen is returning which maybe hint at why he only wants one.

Still need options for squad depth, signing Sandro is a good move it means we will have more squad depth with both Sandro and Alonso more than good enough level players to push each other for a place/deputize for each other, same with Christensen at center half can easily play where Luiz, Azpilicueta or Cahill does and not provide a huge difference in quality (although I don't think he will start ahead of any of those 3 for now) and Bakayoko for midfield provides more higher level competition with Kante, Cesc and Matic if he ends up staying but we still need more with right wing back a concern for me after seeing Moses towards the back end of the season look slightly out of place although he had a great season in general for someone who had to relearn a new position he'd never played in before but even like with Alonso if we get Sandro, he can be improved upon and we have to be ruthless in that matter. 

Wouldn't mind seeing this as the team. 

Tibo 

Azpilicueta - Luiz - Cahill/new CB (Laporte would be nice, suppose I can dream)

New wing back/Moses - Kante - Matic/Bakayoko/new CM - Alex Sandro

Pedro/Willian/new winger - Costa/new striker - Hazard

Antonio Conte will not allow Nemanja Matic to leave unless two new central midfielders are brought to Stamford Bridge. [Daily Record]

#Chelsea have already agreed a fee for Bakayoko, but Conte also wants a dynamic box-to-box midfielder such as Nainggolan. [Daily Record]

14 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Hopefully that is true.

We seen what happened under Mourinho when we won the title a few years ago, we weren't active enough in the transfer market and suffered for it. I hope we can get another two center backs in all fairness now that Ake looks set to go, although Andres Christensen is returning which maybe hint at why he only wants one.

Still need options for squad depth, signing Sandro is a good move it means we will have more squad depth with both Sandro and Alonso more than good enough level players to push each other for a place/deputize for each other, same with Christensen at center half can easily play where Luiz, Azpilicueta or Cahill does and not provide a huge difference in quality (although I don't think he will start ahead of any of those 3 for now) and Bakayoko for midfield provides more higher level competition with Kante, Cesc and Matic if he ends up staying but we still need more with right wing back a concern for me after seeing Moses towards the back end of the season look slightly out of place although he had a great season in general for someone who had to relearn a new position he'd never played in before but even like with Alonso if we get Sandro, he can be improved upon and we have to be ruthless in that matter. 

Wouldn't mind seeing this as the team. 

Tibo 

Azpilicueta - Luiz - Cahill/new CB (Laporte would be nice, suppose I can dream)

New wing back/Moses - Kante - Matic/Bakayoko/new CM - Alex Sandro

Pedro/Willian/new winger - Costa/new striker - Hazard

It was always clear that we'd need major reinforcements, but it's a heck of a challenge to achieve that number of additions in a single window. This is why l was frustrated that we were not able to make a start by getting one or two in January. Not only is there the difficulty of identifying and attracting the right players, but, with clubs now more ambitious than ever in the fees they demand, the cost is approaching unsustainable levels.

I know people love to add up the income streams and announce that we can afford to spend zillions in the market, but those hopes don't take proper account of the club's costs. For example, our wage bill alone is way more than the record TV money and the new kit deal added together. And that's before we consider big impending pay rises for Eden, Thibaut and Antonio. Top up the wage bill with those amounts and bang goes the Yokohama money too.

Signing seven big players is unlikely to be achieved at a net cost of less than £250m. Amortised over an average contract length of four years, that'll cost £62.5m a year. Can that be afforded on top of existing amortisations? Maybe, but it's very tight. Marina's got a tough summer ahead and all she's going to get from the know everythings is stick.

3 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

It was always clear that we'd need major reinforcements, but it's a heck of a challenge to achieve that number of additions in a single window. This is why l was frustrated that we were not able to make a start by getting one or two in January. Not only is there the difficulty of identifying and attracting the right players, but, with clubs now more ambitious than ever in the fees they demand, the cost is approaching unsustainable levels.

I know people love to add up the income streams and announce that we can afford to spend zillions in the market, but those hopes don't take proper account of the club's costs. For example, our wage bill alone is way more than the record TV money and the new kit deal added together. And that's before we consider big impending pay rises for Eden, Thibaut and Antonio. Top up the wage bill with those amounts and bang goes the Yokohama money too.

Signing seven big players is unlikely to be achieved at a net cost of less than £250m. Amortised over an average contract length of four years, that'll cost £62.5m a year. Can that be afforded on top of existing amortisations? Maybe, but it's very tight. Marina's got a tough summer ahead and all she's going to get from the know everythings is stick.

I agree with you and to top it all up we our selling players who are good for us as squad players. These players have been with Chelsea since they were kids and am sure will not have a problem being in the team and getting paid a bit less but rather we sell them and go and get players who will cost 2x what we sold them for and will take 3x their wages just to sit on the bench and be a squad rotational player.

I know we have a rich owner but I which Chelsea could look forward to being a bit more self sufficient so we can ease the pressure on the owner. I fear the day Roman has not enough money cause if you look at his net worth before he bought Chelsea and now, it unbelievable cause the guy doesn't run Chelsea for profit like others do. He doesn't look like someone who is willing to have partners own Chelsea with him as well. He has invest the highest amount of money in Chelsea than any other owner.

I read today that the EPL teams invest a combined 5-6£B of which Roman has invest 2£B alone in chelsea. And this is expected to go up when he completes the new bridge. We might not make major signings for awhile when this project takes cause and we will also be paying for the services of Wembley.

I just can't believe we sold Ake.

Me being a Seinfeld fan i always think of "Summer of George!" With all this money built up surely Antonio is thinking to himself "This is the SUMMER OF CONTE!" I think we could be spending more than any of us think. he bumped his ask from 4 to 6 players(allegedly) and is aiming very high. Exciting times. 

George.jpg

59 minutes ago, akgw13 said:

Me being a Seinfeld fan i always think of "Summer of George!" With all this money built up surely Antonio is thinking to himself "This is the SUMMER OF CONTE!" I think we could be spending more than any of us think. he bumped his ask from 4 to 6 players(allegedly) and is aiming very high. Exciting times. 

George.jpg

Hope it won't end up like this.

ceb8390347a181ddd1b22921a54be83c--seinfe

Call me crazy, but Im optimistic we will sign Sandro, Bakayoko, Caballero, Lukaku?, Alves at the least.

Maybe even CB, another striker if Bats goes, RW and CM. 

Considering all the sales and need to have more squad depth, that isnt crazy at all.