The Conte Thread

Its hard to get back to 4 defenders because everyone realized even in September 2016. how bad we're individually and as a team there. This was the reason why we switched formation to 5 defenders. It looks like serious overhaul needs to be done so we can back to 4 defenders.

On 6/4/2017 at 5:17 PM, BlueLyon said:

I made little analysis, let me know if you agree or not.

Once again I was left uninspired about 3 man defence after seeing Juve getting done by Real. 

I think we will need to switch to 4 defenders for CL.

Like everyone knows, we had biggest problems this season with crosses. And thats where 3:4:3 or 3:5:2 is very very bad (unless you control the game, another thing we are poor at against top teams). 

Now why is 3 man defence working in PL or Serie A is relatively simple to me. The fullbacks. There are not many teams here with actual quality fullbacks except for Spurs in PL and Napoli in Italy. Chelsea did struggle mainly against Spurs. We also played poorly against Arsenal with Bellering and OX going down on wings. Several other games, we conceded from crosses, but those teams are not as consistent down the flanks and we managed to overcome that.

Now in CL, there is major difference. You have top full backs in every team. Now just look at Carvajal and Marcelo. When those two break through middle (Alves and Sandro), they are left with waste of space to deliver the cross. And then its game over for Juve. Three goals yesterday came in similar fashion. If Juve decided to play 4:3:3, they would double mark Marcelo and Carvajal which might be game over for Real. Instead they opted for additional midfielder to control midfield, but then again their approach was to let Real the ball and defend in second half, a big big mistake from Allegri. Their key advantage turned into uselles. 

Chelsea aint any better at controling the midfield either, so we are pretty much in dark there too.

Marcelo, Alaba, Carvajal, Luis,...as soon they beat our Alonso or Moses, they are left with plenty of space to make good cross and then its not hard for striker to score. Despite juve (or us) have 3 CBS in penalty area, giving false sense of security, its actualy easier for striker to score because of the position of these CBs. Just look where was Bonucci (or even Barzagli) at second Ronaldo goal. Even if they had 3 CBs, Ronaldo found a space. Its what happens before. After fullbacks get space to cross, its already game over if cross is good and striker is efficient. However in 4 defence system, defending fullbacks stay back and limit space for opponent fullbacks or wingers. 3CBS however is very useful against attacks from centre, where we also have support of both midfielders. But that problem is simply solved by opponent by attacking from flanks.

Real was also playing like with two upfront and Isco as #10; meaning they didnt even have proper wingers, something Juve should take advantage of. But they just didnt. Sticking to 3 man defence eventualy killed them. 

As questioning this sounds, after we destroyed the league with 3:4:3, I think we need to change it either next season or season after. If Juve cant do it with BBB and Gigi, no one can. 

Perhaps the ONLY difference we have is that we actualy play 3:4:3, not 3:5:2 and thats good because we actualy have "wingers" unlike in 3:5:2 juve. When we attack Moses and Alonso provide width, Hazard and Pedro act as second strikers or playmakers. When we defend, Pedro and Hazard act as wingers tracking back while Moses and Alonso go deeper. However if we are caught on counter, Moses and Alonso are not in position and we are pretty much done. But even with 3:4:3 we concede alot of goals from flanks, meaning that even the advantage over 3:5:2 could turn useless, when we face top teams in CL. 

Perhaps if we perfect this system and get two brilliant wingbacks, it might work, but as soon as those two are beaten by opponent fullbacks, there will be always serious danger from crosses.

Juve played 4-2-3-1 in the final...

They have been playing this system for months now. Think Allegri will even stick to it. 

4 hours ago, Dahnald said:

Juve played 4-2-3-1 in the final...

They have been playing this system for months now. Think Allegri will even stick to it. 

They played with BBB as three defenders and Sandro, Alves as wingbacks. 

They did play 4:2:3:1 for a while yes, but not against Monaco and Real.

4 hours ago, zekinjo said:

Its hard to get back to 4 defenders because everyone realized even in September 2016. how bad we're individually and as a team there. This was the reason why we switched formation to 5 defenders. It looks like serious overhaul needs to be done so we can back to 4 defenders.

Curious about one thing - think we will continue playing with a back 3 as our default formation but what happens when Conte leaves? Is the club gonna find a manager who primarily plays that system? If not, we could be in for some major reshuffling again in the future.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

Curious about one thing - think we will continue playing with a back 3 as our default formation but what happens when Conte leaves? Is the club gonna find a manager who primarily plays that system? If not, we could be in for some major reshuffling again in the future.

I think Alegri at AC Milan played 4 at the back. But at Juve, he realized the system was good or was imposed to him by the club. And I cant say he has flopped. Sometimes you just need th eright manager who is not 1 dimensional.

16 hours ago, Jason said:

I remember Antonio said once how his plan is to play with 4 at the back and even if he's master and commander of 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 with right players would switch to 4-2-4 or 4-2-1-3. His words. Maybe he noticed that 3 at the back mostly works but If you want something big like CL you had to have that extra creative midfielder. Just look at Juve against Real Madrid in CL Final. Even if Juve have probably the best defense (and they played with 5 at the back) they concedes 4 goals and at the end of the night I had that feeling like RM was playing against Bilbao and not mighty Juve.

If Conte gets his targets and I believe it will be (should be) all about defense this summer then it's quiet possible we're going to see different formation like Juve did this season mostly playing with 2 CB's and from time to time they switch back to 3CB's.

Anyway I don't believe we're staying where we are, it's a big risk having only one plan. Personally I expect something similar Juve did this season and that is to switch formation depending on a team we're playing with. Future can be really good for Chelsea if the board shows full support to Conte.

Antonio Conte has requested an in-depth account of Jose Mourinho’s final pre-season at Chelsea in order to ensure his squad avoid a repeat of their 2015/2016 season.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/06/antonio-conte-taking-special-measures-to-ensure-chelsea-stars-avoid-repeat-of-jose-mourinhos-final-season-6690318/#ixzz4jFuq9Y14

People on twitter playing conspiracy theories saying Conte doesn't want to sign his new contract if the club fails to deliver his transfer targets. 

Well, last coach who got an extension was Mou and that was in August 2015

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2015/08/mourinho-signs-new-contract.html

Give it some time shall we. 

12 hours ago, Dahnald said:

People on twitter playing conspiracy theories saying Conte doesn't want to sign his new contract if the club fails to deliver his transfer targets. 

Well, last coach who got an extension was Mou and that was in August 2015

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2015/08/mourinho-signs-new-contract.html

Give it some time shall we. 

But Im sure he wont stay for long if we do indeed fail to bring players he wants or at least similar ones.

He left juve after they failed to give him what he wanted, I dont think it would be different here.

40 minutes ago, xPetrCechx said:

Not again this shit...

FB_IMG_1497524197368.jpg

GOSSIP = No Chelsea news lately?! Ok let's make something up - So they've made no transfers so far. "Conte unhappy" sounds like a good title then. Will report it as "GOSSIP" so people would not become suspicious. Type, type, type. Print. Move on to the next one.

43 minutes ago, xPetrCechx said:

Not again this shit...

FB_IMG_1497524197368.jpg

I thought we were waiting for the Nike deal to kick in before officially announcing any deals. So that adidas doesn't get any free advert when the new signings hold up the Chelsea shirt. 

For me, these rumours are too easy to be created. It is known why Conte left Juve and from the lack of activity, still, in the transfer market from Chelsea, journals can easily come up with the gossip of Conte not being happy with the situation. The actual truth is that we have no idea what exactly is happening behind the scenes ( I miss WeHateScouse). The club might be actually close to several signings or it might be even worse than we think it is and still haven't agreed anything on any deal. 
Also, I don't think the adidas contract harms any our transfers, we can agree deal with the player and the club and put a picture of him with the shirt of his previous club or with his national team, and later we can present him with the new shirt, or we can just present him with a scarf or something. I don't think the new shirt can stop us from presenting new signings.
What I'm more concerned is about the new deals of Tibo and Hazard, because from what the players have said, they want to stay and would like to sign new contracts with Chelsea, maybe they are still on holiday and enjoying their time after the season, I just expected that the deals will be confirmed sooner.