The Conte Thread

I don't understand how a good team performing badly in a big game can simply be put down to a lack of motivation. 

So we weren't motivated playing United away or in the FA Cup FINAL but were pumped to play Sunderland at home in a dead rubber?

The sooner we accept the fact that we were outdone tactically and technically (by teams decimated with injuries) and instead discuss how to go about addressing that, the better.

Pretending it was just a matter of motivation helps nobody.

22 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

Loads of turnover there... Compare Conte's Juve to Allegri's and you'll see why Allegri has gone further

I would say Alegri's job was way easier than Conte's at the time whe he was Juventus manager. One has to create and build almost from nothing and Alegri spent + 300 millions in 3 years. But at the end that's how the big clubs works. You have to spend big. 

9 minutes ago, The Chels said:

I don't understand how a good team performing badly in a big game can simply be put down to a lack of motivation. 

So we weren't motivated playing United away or in the FA Cup FINAL but were pumped to play Sunderland at home in a dead rubber?

The sooner we accept the fact that we were outdone tactically and technically (by teams decimated with injuries) and how to go about addressing that, the better.

Again you taking thing out of context. 

You can't look a game during the season and bring the same context here. 

The fact was that after winning the PL the players and the club switch of. 

You could see it in the fitness of the players. Even after being down 1 to 0 and had much time left in the first half commentators was saying how we was way below fitness level. 

We simple switch of. And it was the fault of the entire club that we took it too easy after winning the PL. 

3 hours ago, manpe said:

I would contest that thought. Don't mix up our, fans, motivation with the players'. We had achieved our objective, which was to vindicate last season and to ultimately win the league as the season progressed. Super motivation and desire was on display almost every game. They didn't have enough push for the FA Cup because they had already done what they aimed to do, with the cup being only a bonus. Stress levels dropped, they didn't have enough pressure to get that extra that would make the difference.

Arsenal, on the other, had a trainwreck of a season. Out of top 4 for the first time since who knows when, humiliated in CL, fans being unanimously vocal against the team and the club, Wenger in/out saga and so on. This was literally their last saving grace to show others that they aren't complete bottlers, their pride as professionals above all was at stake. And they played as such, against a team that didn't need this win.

I m not mixing up the 2 ... In fact in all the past interviews you will find that the players wanting the double. And I dont buy that we went easy because we won the league so this was a bonus. It is a prestigious tournament atleast better than the League Cup. Clubs like Chelsea cannot be content with just winning one title/trophy a season, we should be competing and wanting to win in every tournament that we are in. 

Anyways, my observation was not about motivation ... my concern is that in game Conte was clueless and quiet something which we are not used to. I hope it doesnt happen too often next season. 

6 hours ago, Fernando said:

We was clueless a couple of times and Conte changed it the next games. 

Remember losing to Arsenal, United and such. 

So I don't have problem with this aspect. He is flexible as shown this season. 

I'm referring to in game strategy ... we cant keep changing things after we lost the game.  

Like I mentioned above it is an observation which I hope is just me overthinking ...  

4 minutes ago, coolhead23 said:

I'm referring to in game strategy ... we cant keep changing things after we lost the game.  

Like I mentioned above it is an observation which I hope is just me overthinking ...  

Well no manager is perfect. 

SAF was never perfect in everything. 

But in the long run of league he won because though he might screw up a game he had chance to rectify the mistake. 

This might be the same case with Conte, if keep this up he might win more PL then cups. We will win cups here and there because its inevitable when you form a good squad. 

But PL will continue to be number one, and I have liked what he does in the ENTIRE SEASON, NOT JUST ONE GAME! 

1 minute ago, Fernando said:

Well no manager is perfect. 

SAF was never perfect in everything. 

But in the long run of league he won because though he might screw up a game he had chance to rectify the mistake. 

This might be the same case with Conte, if keep this up he might win more PL then cups. We will win cups here and there because its inevitable when you form a good squad. 

But PL will continue to be number one, and I have liked what he does in the ENTIRE SEASON, NOT JUST ONE GAME! 

No one is denying what Conte has done and achieved ... No one talked about THE PERFECT MANAGER. Not sure why are we going there. 

It is just a simple observation which I hope doesnt become an issue for us. 

What Conte & Chelsea has achieved this season is NOW HISTORY & WE NEED TO FOCUS ON THE NEXT SEASON ...  so if there is any scope of improvement it shouldnt be overlooked is what I would conclude it with. 

Chelsea won the Premier League this season despite having a weaker squad than that of Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham and Man City, according to Antonio Conte

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/29/antonio-conte-chelsea-won-title-with-weaker-squad-than-our-premier-league-rivals-6670864/#ixzz4iUsA1FEh

10 hours ago, The Chels said:

The sooner we accept the fact that we were outdone tactically and technically (by teams decimated with injuries) and instead discuss how to go about addressing that, the better.

You're right. It doesn't matter a jot what we discuss here. What matters is what is being discussed by the club's leaders.

We fans just need to avoid being arrogant and it will be easy to figure out what the club's assessment of the squad will be. We've all watched the games, and Chelsea's decision makers have watched the games too. They have seen what we have seen. In fact they've seen more.

The board know what players Antonio wants, what budget will be required to recruit and pay them, as well as what financial restraints the club is under and why we might be under those restraints.

It would require a mind blowing level of arrogance on all our parts to believe that hundreds of thousands of Chelsea fans can see something that CFC's bosses cannot.

8 hours ago, the wes said:

Chelsea won the Premier League this season despite having a weaker squad than that of Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham and Man City, according to Antonio Conte

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/29/antonio-conte-chelsea-won-title-with-weaker-squad-than-our-premier-league-rivals-6670864/#ixzz4iUsA1FEh

I agree with him.

12 hours ago, The Chels said:

TBF, it was Sunderland. I don't think we even played that well against them. We won comfortably in the end because they are a bad, bad, bad team.

The lack of motivation may not be the sole factor that we lost the cup final but it certainly played its part. Courtois certainly admitted as much after the match.

11 hours ago, coolhead23 said:

I m not mixing up the 2 ... In fact in all the past interviews you will find that the players wanting the double. And I dont buy that we went easy because we won the league so this was a bonus. It is a prestigious tournament atleast better than the League Cup. Clubs like Chelsea cannot be content with just winning one title/trophy a season, we should be competing and wanting to win in every tournament that we are in.

Yes, you are talking idealistic talk that you imagine would happen in a perfect world. Of course they will say that they want the double, do you imagine somebody saying the opposite? No doubt the players and the club wanted it, but they didn't want it as much as Arsenal simple as that. It was the same to them as winning the league to us. You are not taking into account human psychology, which can drift very far from said words. Like last season everybody was saying that they are fighting for Jose, the club and other bullshit they learned from their PR lessons, but the reality was visibly different.

25 minutes ago, manpe said:

Yes, you are talking idealistic talk that you imagine would happen in a perfect world. Of course they will say that they want the double, do you imagine somebody saying the opposite? No doubt the players and the club wanted it, but they didn't want it as much as Arsenal simple as that. It was the same to them as winning the league to us. You are not taking into account human psychology, which can drift very far from said words. Like last season everybody was saying that they are fighting for Jose, the club and other bullshit they learned from their PR lessons, but the reality was visibly different.

No I'm not mixing it ... Idealistic talk??? Come on, mate!!! 

How I see it: There is a difference in mentality when it comes to the big/elite clubs and the others ... The others would be content with one title/trophy (if they win) and the rest they can consider as bonus but the Big/elite clubs dont stop at one or consider the second one a bonus. We are now in the elite class and we shouldnt stop at anything ... This is Chelsea we are talking about for whom success takes precedent over everything (we have sacked managers for not reaching to that highest levels without considering their reputations) so it's ingrained in the club and the players and obviously the fans. So if you say Arsenal wanted it more than I would surely say that we should have wanted it much more and I m sure that the club sees it the same. 

Without being harsh, human Psychology at times goes out of the window when you are getting paid 10x-15x more than the average human out there, they train you to be machines ... thats the reality in today's world. 

Anyways I m not denying completely what you mentioned but I feel we are drifting into another tangent ... as I mentioned in the other post it started as a small observation which I hope doesnt come back as an issue for us. Rest, I feel we had a brilliant season ... we just werent good on the last day and paid the price. 

P.S: @OhForAGreavsie, damn! Now I have to prove read my post twice to make sure it is correct :)

42 minutes ago, coolhead23 said:

No I'm not mixing it ... Idealistic talk??? Come on, mate!!! 

How I see it: There is a difference in mentality when it comes to the big/elite clubs and the others ... The others would be content with one title/trophy (if they win) and the rest they can consider as bonus but the Big/elite clubs dont stop at one or consider the second one a bonus. We are now in the elite class and we shouldnt stop at anything ... This is Chelsea we are talking about for whom success takes precedent over everything (we have sacked managers for not reaching to that highest levels without considering their reputations) so it's ingrained in the club and the players and obviously the fans. So if you say Arsenal wanted it more than I would surely say that we should have wanted it much more and I m sure that the club sees it the same. 

Without being harsh, human Psychology at times goes out of the window when you are getting paid 10x-15x more than the average human out there, they train you to be machines ... thats the reality in today's world. 

Anyways I m not denying completely what you mentioned but I feel we are drifting into another tangent ... as I mentioned in the other post it started as a small observation which I hope doesnt come back as an issue for us. Rest, I feel we had a brilliant season ... we just werent good on the last day and paid the price. 

P.S: @OhForAGreavsie, damn! Now I have to prove read my post twice to make sure it is correct :)

You use a lot of shoulds/woulds to paint an ideal picture that we as fans all expect. Yes what you say is true in theory, but it doesn't mean it was true on the day. Machines? Money can only motivate you so far. If only it worked like that, but they are not cyborgs and we see evidence of human psychological influences in top class football all the time. If not, then for example confidence would be a non-issue, yet it isn't. Goes out the window? You have a very skewed understanding of psychology if you think that money and training can turn people into mindless sacks of meat. It is no coincidence that top managers put a lot of emphasis on the psychological aspect of the game, our own Conte being a prime example. He was timid on the day like you mentioned, and that reflected in the team too. I stand by what I said - Arsenal wanted it more on the day, in fact I think they felt that they needed it, we merely wanted it.

5 minutes ago, manpe said:

You use a lot of shoulds/woulds to paint an ideal picture that we as fans all expect. Yes what you say is true in theory, but it doesn't mean it was true on the day. Machines? Money can only motivate you so far. If only it worked like that, but they are not cyborgs and we see evidence of human psychological influences in top class football all the time. If not, then for example confidence would be a non-issue, yet it isn't. Goes out the window? You have a very skewed understanding of psychology if you think that money and training can turn people into mindless sacks of meat. It is no coincidence that top managers put a lot of emphasis on the psychological aspect of the game, our own Conte being a prime example. He was timid on the day like you mentioned, and that reflected in the team too.

Thanks, Mate!!!