The Conte Thread

22 minutes ago, manpe said:

True. In fact we weakened by offloading Oscar, Ivanovic and Mikel. Didn't think I'd say this but wish we had Brana yesterday. Did the board expect smooth sailing for the rest of the season? I understand the decision to wait for the right targets to become available in summer, but they must not put blame on Conte if we bottle it. When we need to play Pedro or Moses at LWB you know this squad is not good enough.

They were all averagae players though who fans had been wanting gone for many years before they were finally offloaded. Neither of the three would have helped us against United. 

7 minutes ago, nono said:

They were all averagae players though who fans had been wanting gone for many years before they were finally offloaded. Neither of the three would have helped us against United. 

Of course fans wanted for them to be offloaded, but not like this without replacements. It's ridiculous. Most of our squad is average, would it be okay to ship them all and not replace anyone?

17 hours ago, Ledgi said:

I think now we know he's a manger who doesn't have a plan b during games when things go south and if we're losing at halftime, we will probably not turn a game around.

Too early to say. The plan B this squad allows he uses when needed.

I think now when we won to bench Hazard was a tactical move from Conte. Spurs probably had a player who would have chased Eden all the game like Herrera did. It would have been hard for him. We managed to stay in the game and when the game is open it was the best time to bring in Hazard. Also, Conte was worried that this game can go to extra time so 120mins would have been hard. Well done Antonio, was well prepared for this game!

1 hour ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

The Hazard on the bench decision is still a strange one. I'll be interested to know Conte's thought process for that one. 

Was a bold move! He probably wanted Hazard's energy to turn this around and it worked perfectly. Probably thought Spurs strategy would be to cut out Hazard the way United did.

1 hour ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

The Hazard on the bench decision is still a strange one. I'll be interested to know Conte's thought process for that one. 

Well, now we know from his post match comments. Looks like he was resting them for Tue.

5 minutes ago, bluephoenix said:

Was a bold move! He probably wanted Hazard's energy to turn this around and it worked perfectly. Probably thought Spurs strategy would be to cut out Hazard the way United did.

I partly agree with the freshness impact off the bench. I personally feel he prioriotized Tuesday ahead of today. I'm not sure leaving your best player on the bench is the best strategical move under any circumstance, but it worked for us today.

Spurs face Crystal Palace on Wednesday after Palace play tomorrow away to Liverpool.

We play Southampton on Tuesday who will not have played since the 15th of April. 

Conte isn't really happy about it and rightly so. It doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, 3 days recovery against a good Southampton side won't be easy at all, even at home. Hopefully, the likes of Eden, Cesc, Costa and Cahill are fresh for this game.