The Conte Thread

4 hours ago, Fernando said:

Again if they are fan why then does the thread only becomes active when we lose? Not when we win? 

Arsenal fan TV is a huge success. The lad who does it is pretty good and so deserves the success he's had. He is lucky though. If he had started his channel during a successful period for Arsenal he would not have done as well as he has.

Of course football fans have more to say when things go wrong. You might as well ask why does water run downhill. 

2 hours ago, nono said:

What do Ruben and Chalobah have to do to get games ? No matter how invisible Matic is they can't get a look into the team. That makes me really sad. I'm pretty sure they'd offer a lot more than he does but Conte just won't change the lineup.

Both are not good enough and won't do better than Matic 

I think maybe he'll change something now. After the game, I haven't see him so pissed since his early days when we lost to Arsenal and Liverpool. 

We haven't play particularly well since January but we were still grinding  results where we needed to.

When you you don't play very well and still win, and keep a big gap it's easy to overlook the big picture, but now with more pressure than ever this season, I think he'll make some changes.

I think now we know he's a manger who doesn't have a plan b during games when things go south and if we're losing at halftime, we will probably not turn a game around.

But he showed he can changes things during the season and if he didn't, we would probably not be in the positing we're in right now.

3 hours ago, Dahnald said:

Both are not good enough and won't do better than Matic 

that's the fans logic: players C and D would've done so much better than player A, because player A did not play well. Of course, the entire other part of the equation is missing in that "logic." The very unlikely possibility: that player C and D, who never tie the boots of player A in practice, would have indeed done better.

Personally I wished Conte had the same starting XI as usual with Alonso and Tibo (not possible today). Perhaps, as a personal pref Fab or WIllian instead of Pedro, but that's about it.

Bad time to be missing important players and thought Hazard, Pedro, and Costa had pretty poor showings tbh.

What will(should) Conte do to ensure that title doesn't slip out of Chelsea's hands?

He needs to train his players better for team B/team C scenarios. 

Make better use of the substitutes in his arsenal (Azpi over Ake for (LWB)? :blink:

Stop playing Costa (until his head is in it, he is an embarrassment  on the pitch )

15 hours ago, Ledgi said:

I think maybe he'll change something now. After the game, I haven't see him so pissed since his early days when we lost to Arsenal and Liverpool. 

We haven't play particularly well since January but we were still grinding  results where we needed to.

When you you don't play very well and still win, and keep a big gap it's easy to overlook the big picture, but now with more pressure than ever this season, I think he'll make some changes.

I think now we know he's a manger who doesn't have a plan b during games when things go south and if we're losing at halftime, we will probably not turn a game around.

But he showed he can changes things during the season and if he didn't, we would probably not be in the positing we're in right now.

Are you saying you think Antonio was drunk after the game?

Antonio selects and utilises the players he believes are best for each game. Second guessing the manager may be a favourite fan activity but we simply do not have as much information as he does. In the end, none of us can say for sure that we would not be making the same decisions if, like Antonio, we were watching training every day. I'm a non believer when it comes to Nemanja, and nor can I believe in Diego's recent contributions, but I do believe that Antonio wants to win as badly as we do. He will certainly have reasons for the choices he makes. Reasons which make complete sense to him.

7 hours ago, milan.cech said:

I just saw his post-match interview. The way he responded by not understanding the question said a lot, the way he spoke about refereeing mistakes in last games said a lot. This man is not going to sleep for a couple of days, I am sure of that. I hope he makes the team respond big, big time.

I didn't see the interview but misunderstanding questions is a frequent situation for Antonio and there's nothing intentional about it.

He often gives long answers to an entirely different question to the one he was asked. Throughout the season, reporters have been patient and polite while he does that, often accepting the answer he gave and moving on to another topic. Sometimes our press secretary restates the question to help Antonio, and on one occasion an Italian journalist translated for him. The pre match presser for the visit to ManU was the first time I heard a journo loose patience, tell Antonio that he didn't understand the question and ask for an answer to the question he did ask. (That was the one about which ManU players would get into his Chelsea team.)

It's clear the press like Antonio and give him a lot of leeway, but the pressure will obviously move up a notch now.

Our board don't allow any 'coach' to be manager with the ability to bench our most expensive & marketable players on a whim.

When you consistently have issues with expensive strikers regardless of the coach, the finger has to be pointed at those who've outlasted and preceded the coach.

The board; the same board who barely invested in us last summer.

On top of that, I only realised the obvious last night - Conte was never a rotation man. Serie A didn't demand it. He'd stick to his guns & the same XI week in week out, and it worked over there. We haven't brought in a man fluent in rotation.

He wasnt the same guy he was in the previous matches against United in the league. He seemed timid on the touchline, not as many outbursts of punching/shouting/jumping about constantly. It looked to me as if he seemed intimidated almost, what the hell was up? I honestly feel he has been the driving force behind our performances this season because hes channeling all his passion and aggression and everything into the team, almost yelling every instruction at them, constantly keeping everyone in line and making sure that they are following his game plan along with his tactical switch up. Sure Hazard, Costa, Kante, Luiz, Azpi have all been great/inspirational at times this season but the one thing is Conte has been there every step of the way, shouting at them telling them what to do, when to do it, I'm not saying he is controlling these guys like Mourinho claimed about Luke Shaw and the whole my mind his body thing but its like he was playing every pass for them, initiating when to press, when to stay back, when to switch the play. Is nerves getting to him? He said Tottenham are best team in the league after the game and we only had a 50% chance of winning the title now etc... maybe this is new to him because at Juventus they were always on top and far far away from other teams, no doubt Conte is a winner but it was odd watching him at the dugout during that game. I also think the players have to take blame, theres been talk of we have to do this to win the title for a while now, I think they are overthinking it, just go out and win games, don't think about the title just yet. When its mathematically impossible for anyone to catch you, then think about it but until then, they should think game by game, 3 points by 3 points. 

We can and should criticize Conte for yesterday but we also need to look at things in perspective. He is the best thing that happened to this club since we signed Hazard, we need to be thankful and remember that at the start of the season you wouldn't dream of this position we are in. This season is a big success on our behalf and even if we flunk the title (which will be very painful of course) it will not be the end of the world, I think next season we will be much better anyway. That said, I don't really think we will collapse from yesterday's loss. This Conte team is reacting well to defeats and we have seen it several times this season, also, we basically win the games we should so you kind of know what to expect. No need to panic, not yet at least.

11 minutes ago, Footballover said:

We can and should criticize Conte for yesterday but we also need to look at things in perspective. He is the best thing that happened to this club since we signed Hazard, we need to be thankful and remember that at the start of the season you wouldn't dream of this position we are in. This season is a big success on our behalf and even if we flunk the title (which will be very painful of course) it will not be the end of the world, I think next season we will be much better anyway. That said, I don't really think we will collapse from yesterday's loss. This Conte team is reacting well to defeats and we have seen it several times this season, also, we basically win the games we should so you kind of know what to expect. No need to panic, not yet at least.

I fully agree with you but I'm very angry with him in how he keeps using Diego who clearly doesn't care about the club anymore. He's obviously careless about the team's interests on the pitch yet Conte keeps fucking the other 10 playerd over by using a POS that keeps sabotaging our plays. Matić is also a has-been but at least he's fully committed to doing his best. I will lose faith in a win on Saturday if I see that degenerate Diego on the starting XI.

5 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I didn't see the interview but misunderstanding questions is a frequent situation for Antonio and there's nothing intentional about it.

He often gives long answers to an entirely different question to the one he was asked. Throughout the season, reporters have been patient and polite while he does that, often accepting the answer he gave and moving on to another topic. Sometimes our press secretary restates the question to help Antonio, and on one occasion an Italian journalist translated for him. The pre match presser for the visit to ManU was the first time I heard a journo loose patience, tell Antonio that he didn't understand the question and ask for an answer to the question he did ask. (That was the one about which ManU players would get into his Chelsea team.)

It's clear the press like Antonio and give him a lot of leeway, but the pressure will obviously move up a notch now.

If you didn't see it, then don't comment on it this way. There is a difference between a polite 'Could you repeat please?' and yesterday's reaction. I never implied the opposite of what you just said but your response has no meaning to my post.

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

He wasnt the same guy he was in the previous matches against United in the league. He seemed timid on the touchline, not as many outbursts of punching/shouting/jumping about constantly. It looked to me as if he seemed intimidated almost, what the hell was up?

A downside of Conte 'playing the game emotionally'? His demeanor was certainly weird yesterday, very similar to the one we saw at Arsenal.

1 hour ago, milan.cech said:

If you didn't see it, then don't comment on it this way. There is a difference between a polite 'Could you repeat please?' and yesterday's reaction. I never implied the opposite of what you just said but your response has no meaning to my post.

I don't understand your reaction at all. It seems to have just as little to do with what I said, as you tell me mine had to do with yours. We are clearly talking at cross purposes.

He knew we didn't stood a chance, United could've scored 3-4. I think, in his head, he was at our next game, United game became irrelevant after first half an hour. At least I was.

We need to stop seeing things wrong, this team is, individually, same or level below of other top 6 clubs. And whatever happens, Antonio did a great job, whether we win the title or not. He is the reason we are still first.

I saw this coming, even in January when we didn't sign anyone. I KNEW that we must've strengthen back then, because we have massive chance to win the league. Either on striker, wingbacks, centrebacks or midfield position, I was begging to bring someone in, even to force a transfer and overpay it. But, nothing happened, and we are stuck with what we have.

Can't believe, in the season when it is so clear that opportunity for win it is so big, we are with only 2 decents wingbacks, and Diego Costa at the top with no decent replacement. We are always one injury away from being shit. January was a big failure in my eyes, and I don't know who should take blame for it.

3 hours ago, Mana said:

There's no talk or articles about "How to beat Spurs" or "How to beat Liverpool" etc. ONLY US.

Is it that simple to beat us if you have decent players to do it? Is this why all the top 5 expect City (in which should have killed us at the Etihad) and Spurs/United home (where Mourinho claimed it went to pan in the 1st minute) - managed to successfully stop us?

All they do is press us really hard and we crumble. We struggle keeping the ball against the better teams. 

7 minutes ago, El P. said:

I saw this coming, even in January when we didn't sign anyone. I KNEW that we must've strengthen back then, because we have massive chance to win the league. Either on striker, wingbacks, centrebacks or midfield position, I was begging to bring someone in, even to force a transfer and overpay it. But, nothing happened, and we are stuck with what we have.

Can't believe, in the season when it is so clear that opportunity for win it is so big, we are with only 2 decents wingbacks, and Diego Costa at the top with no decent replacement. We are always one injury away from being shit. January was a big failure in my eyes, and I don't know who should take blame for it.

True. In fact we weakened by offloading Oscar, Ivanovic and Mikel. Didn't think I'd say this but wish we had Brana yesterday. Did the board expect smooth sailing for the rest of the season? I understand the decision to wait for the right targets to become available in summer, but they must not put blame on Conte if we bottle it. When we need to play Pedro or Moses at LWB you know this squad is not good enough.