The Conte Thread

On 21/01/2017 at 10:44 PM, FootballManics said:

Prior seasons Chelsea has invested quite heavily, I would say this naturally brings higher expectations but that was awhile back - plus not every team can break the bank like United have in recent years (quite odd for a club riddled in debt allegedly).

Every club has gloryhunters and people with their own agendas, believe me I also run a L2 teams fan site and I've seen many.

However, Chelsea in the last 2-3 seasons have spent wisely (although perhaps last season it should have been spent reinforcing the defence and finding a striker). For me this is a credit to what Conte is doing and he's not the type of manager to splash cash around. So I wouldn't worry about some people think, as each fan has different expectations and not all are real. I'm sure in recent weeks I've seen god knows who wanted at my club and we've ended up with Kevin Nolan. :D

Some would have had you believe Big Sam would have returned also. :o

Enjoy being successful for playing attractive football and having a team that pull their weight for you fans.

Of course what you're saying makes alot of sense amd a team that gells well and plays united is a great thing to see. But I'm also a believer of re enforcing and upgrading during winning years.

We saw that last season. 2014-15 we had a great year, couldn't have asked for much more really after bringing in Cescy,Diego,Filipe,Square,Drogs,Remy. We mighta brought in £117 mill of fresh blood but we also sold £120 mill (without all the loans of course)

Then last season for whatever reasons. Whether it was Mou being a stubourn git thinking he could do the same with the same crew or Roman closing the purse strings all we did was loan Falcao and buy Pedro,Baba.  But we sell Petr,Filipe,Rami,

I think bringing in good fresh blood not only benifits the team because of upgrading positions it also raises confidence in the old players, the rest of the staff and of course the supporters.

6 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Of course what you're saying makes alot of sense amd a team that gells well and plays united is a great thing to see. But I'm also a believer of re enforcing and upgrading during winning years.

We saw that last season. 2014-15 we had a great year, couldn't have asked for much more really after bringing in Cescy,Diego,Filipe,Square,Drogs,Remy. We mighta brought in £117 mill of fresh blood but we also sold £120 mill (without all the loans of course)

Then last season for whatever reasons. Whether it was Mou being a stubourn git thinking he could do the same with the same crew or Roman closing the purse strings all we did was loan Falcao and buy Pedro,Baba.  But we sell Petr,Filipe,Rami,

I think bringing in good fresh blood not only benifits the team because of upgrading positions it also raises confidence in the old players, the rest of the staff and of course the supporters.

I agree, though upgrading doesn't always come at such a steep cost and sometimes you do have to sell a prized asset for a good fee to move forward.

Though Chelsea does seem to always get the right balance.

There are players who have left for good fee's that haven't played as much or been considered a starter, whereby other clubs would struggle to command a fee (some tend to lower it to force the move). To a degree this is like Liverpool with Benteke, yet Chelsea's stock worth is considerably higher and I do feel teams know that bargains won't always be had from the club.

Fresh blood does benefit, especially when they're of solid recruiting. I would like to see guys pushing to feature your own home grown talent, Liverpool/United and Everton have returned to doing quite well in this department but most Premier League teams fail to see the importance (no dig towards Chelsea). Teams like Stoke, Arsenal (most leave to join L1/Championship teams) etc.

My points more about being flexible and able to avoid needless big signings, when you have a resource of talent that can progress - you can dip into that.

Knowing when to sign a player for £30-60m is more a luxury IMO.

Yet the depth is essential to a clubs natural progression and quality in terms of their squad.

22 minutes ago, FootballManics said:

I agree, though upgrading doesn't always come at such a steep cost and sometimes you do have to sell a prized asset for a good fee to move forward.

Though Chelsea does seem to always get the right balance.

There are players who have left for good fee's that haven't played as much or been considered a starter, whereby other clubs would struggle to command a fee (some tend to lower it to force the move). To a degree this is like Liverpool with Benteke, yet Chelsea's stock worth is considerably higher and I do feel teams know that bargains won't always be had from the club.

Fresh blood does benefit, especially when they're of solid recruiting. I would like to see guys pushing to feature your own home grown talent, Liverpool/United and Everton have returned to doing quite well in this department but most Premier League teams fail to see the importance (no dig towards Chelsea). Teams like Stoke, Arsenal (most leave to join L1/Championship teams) etc.

My points more about being flexible and able to avoid needless big signings, when you have a resource of talent that can progress - you can dip into that.

Knowing when to sign a player for £30-60m is more a luxury IMO.

Yet the depth is essential to a clubs natural progression and quality in terms of their squad.

Tho I domt agree with having to be forced to use HG players we are going to have big problems in that department come the summer It will mwan us using our under 21s for fillers which is daft. In this open market we should be able ro use platers from anywhere.

So will we see some English talent come in. maybe in defence?

1 hour ago, Unionjack said:

Yes I know I wanted him but most of us agreed that he needed to do a club in europe before coming here. As we had the same problem with Scolari. 

We was wrong, however I love Conte. 

I think Conte is better fit for us then Sampaoli would have been. 

11 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Yes I know I wanted him but most of us agreed that he needed to do a club in europe before coming here. As we had the same problem with Scolari. 

We was wrong, however I love Conte. 

I think Conte is better fit for us then Sampaoli would have been. 

It could've been much and much worse though.

Think about having Wenger as manager.

5 hours ago, Jason said:

I know the 3-4-3 has gotten us results over the last few months but can't quite understand Conte's reluctance to switch to 3-5-2 in the big games. We have seen the side getting overrun and coming under huge pressure in matches and he's always brought on Fabregas and every time, we've seen him help us control the games better and even start to create some really good opportunities. So I don't get why Conte doesn't go with that from the start? There's no point playing 3 upfront if the guys behind them can't keep possession and create any chances.

On a slightly more positive note, this squad has so many flaws and it needs some serious operation if we are to challenge big time again in Europe, never mind the Premier League. But somehow despite the flaws, Conte has managed to build a strong unit to challenge for the title and sit 9 points clear after 23 games. IF we do end up winning the league, we should consider building a statue of him outside the Bridge.

Most of this post doesn't make any sense. First, the formation is not 3-4-3, its 3-6-1, and while the team suffered "huge pressure" even in games with positive results: 1st half against Spurs months ago, and first 55 minutes of that game against City, today wasn't a game the team suffered "huge pressure". Even 2-0 defeat to Spurs weeks ago came after two defensive mistakes. Spurs never made "huge pressure". So this post doesn't reflect the match I saw, and your negative post (with that bold IF) also doesn't reflect the current table and the team's momentum.

Its really weird posts like this are becoming popular in this forum.