The Conte Thread

I know it's easy to say after the match, but I was expecting a bad result in this game.

Hopefully Conte has learned a lot from this match and our squad improves as a result.

I've always thought the League Cup was a waste of time, so I'm not bothered by the L.

Why does England need two Cups when the other major leagues only have one?

Am I the only one that thinks that Willian would be a good RWB?  I think he's better suited to that role than Azpi is.  The best part of his game is in the first 2/3 of the pitch.  The final third?  Not so much.  He can run all day and he tracks back.  I'd be happy to just get in an attacker (preferably left footed) for the RW/SS position.  I also think that Ivanovic would be a fine (good enough) back-up for Azpi at the RCB in the back 3.  He's not quick enough to be a full back, but he's okay on the ball for a CB.  If Cahill can be good at the LCB position, I don't see why Ivan can't do the same on the right.  He is, after all, a CB.  I know he's been shit for a while now, but we're talking back ups and cover.  He obviously provides a great deal of leadership in the dressing room.  

Alonso/Kenedy/Baba at LWB.  Alonso has also played CB before, he could provide some cover for the LCB position if we don't get anyone in (I think we will) or we get someone in and Cahill is moved on.  Luiz and Christensen in the middle of the back 3.  

10 hours ago, Tomo said:

And Wilkins said Carlo chose Torres.

I can't believe some people still believe that it was Carlo who signed him. Do you really think Roman was like "Okay Carlo, I don't trust you and am thinking of sacking you if things don't improve, but I will dish out club record fee for goldilocks just because you said so". Bullshit, it was the biggest marquee signing the club has ever made, otherwise they wouldn't have paid this insane money just because Carlo, who was sacked shortly after, wanted him. And the way the club held onto him showed that they were desperate to make it work regardless if other managers after Carlo wanted him. He might not have been against it and maybe even was warm to the idea, but I am 100% sure it was the club who went out and got him and would have done so regardless of the manager. People need to understand how transfers work(ed) in this club, especially for such money... it has little to do with the manager.

I'd rather get knocked out of a domestic cup comp than run players like Kante into the ground. Conte's experience in Serie A in this regard cannot carry over; over there, you can play your best players in whatever competition, the scheduling is less hectic and there's usually less chance of injury since they're more pansy-like. 

I can't help but feel he'd think it's a bigger achievement than it is to win one of the smaller cups, and it'd just make sense that we exhaust ourselves to get one while finishing 3rd or 4th come the end of the year. 

Focus on the league and we can do it. Split our attention and I don't believe so.

4 hours ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

Am I the only one that thinks that Willian would be a good RWB?  I think he's better suited to that role than Azpi is.  The best part of his game is in the first 2/3 of the pitch.  The final third?  Not so much.  He can run all day and he tracks back.  I'd be happy to just get in an attacker (preferably left footed) for the RW/SS position.  I also think that Ivanovic would be a fine (good enough) back-up for Azpi at the RCB in the back 3.  He's not quick enough to be a full back, but he's okay on the ball for a CB.  If Cahill can be good at the LCB position, I don't see why Ivan can't do the same on the right.  He is, after all, a CB.  I know he's been shit for a while now, but we're talking back ups and cover.  He obviously provides a great deal of leadership in the dressing room.  

Alonso/Kenedy/Baba at LWB.  Alonso has also played CB before, he could provide some cover for the LCB position if we don't get anyone in (I think we will) or we get someone in and Cahill is moved on.  Luiz and Christensen in the middle of the back 3.  

Willian is the same player as Marcelo in my eyes. I agree he'd make a good RWB. He'd be perfect for Barcelona, there's no other player more suited to them right now. It's important to have versatility in a squad, so speaking just for Chelsea it'd be great in the long run to know that all of Azpi, Willian, Moses & Aina can play the role, defending well enough and also getting forward.

When you use squad players like squad players you get results. We've been needing a versatile bench player like Belletti. Experience & versatility; not inexperienced and potentially versatile (RLC) or experienced & not versatile at all (Fabregas).

7 hours ago, manpe said:

I can't believe some people still believe that it was Carlo who signed him. Do you really think Roman was like "Okay Carlo, I don't trust you and am thinking of sacking you if things don't improve, but I will dish out club record fee for goldilocks just because you said so". Bullshit, it was the biggest marquee signing the club has ever made, otherwise they wouldn't have paid this insane money just because Carlo, who was sacked shortly after, wanted him. And the way the club held onto him showed that they were desperate to make it work regardless if other managers after Carlo wanted him. He might not have been against it and maybe even was warm to the idea, but I am 100% sure it was the club who went out and got him and would have done so regardless of the manager. People need to understand how transfers work(ed) in this club, especially for such money... it has little to do with the manager.

I think that at this (and most) clubs it's a sort of in the middle thing between the manager and board/owners, i do however think if Carlo was so dead against Torres and gave a detailed analysis on why say Aguero would work better, i'm sure that would have somewhat changed the water. Also Roman may have been considering sacking him in January but wasn't in the summer when we looked almost certain to get him until he signed a new deal with Liverpool last minute. He was probably not the only one that wanted Nando but i'm fairly certain he wasn't hoisted on him against his will.

Also this notion of manager's having total control on everything is a romantic myth that only Fergie had the privilege too, most clubs have a hierarchy were a number of people, manager including, have some say about all the logic regarding transfers etc, i mean after all if we gave our manager's total control on the transfer side Drogba would have been replaced by Adriano, which would have meant no glut of goals in 2010 and possibly no double, no magic Munich penalty and possibly not the trophy atall.

32 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I think that at this (and most) clubs it's a sort of in the middle thing between the manager and board/owners, i do however think if Carlo was so dead against Torres and gave a detailed analysis on why say Aguero would work better, i'm sure that would have somewhat changed the water. Also Roman may have been considering sacking him in January but wasn't in the summer when we looked almost certain to get him until he signed a new deal with Liverpool last minute. He was probably not the only one that wanted Nando but i'm fairly certain he wasn't hoisted on him against his will.

Also this notion of manager's having total control on everything is a romantic myth that only Fergie had the privilege too, most clubs have a hierarchy were a number of people, manager including, have some say about all the logic regarding transfers etc, i mean after all if we gave our manager's total control on the transfer side Drogba would have been replaced by Adriano, which would have meant no glut of goals in 2010 and possibly no double, no magic Munich penalty and possibly not the trophy atall.

Exactly, you speak the truth. When you said that Wilkins told Carlo wanted him, I got the impression you thought he and only he was responsible for signing him, which is ridiculous as you know. Therefore I blame the board more than Carlo or any manager for setting us back in those years with clueless signings and appointments, with maybe Mourinho being the only exception as I feel he was given unprecedented control over club matters. His claws even extended to triviality like having a say over who hosted Chelsea TV (I swear there was some kind of conflict between Mourinho and a CTV host who was later ousted, or am I making things up?), then the public Carneiro meltdown and the rest is history... he lost everything there but luckily Conte is here to pick up the pieces.

On 10/26/2016 at 1:55 PM, Tautvix said:

I fully understand playing Chalobah but I am talking about someone like Oscar :) 

haha probably thought Oscar will the more experienced person given the changes he was making. I am totally in for playing the youngsters again because we have been screaming for this for many seasons(giving opportunity to the youngsters). It so happened that his whole sale changes didn't click. This is the best way to up their game. If I can hypothesize further, may be he wanted to see if he can actually have a team b without most starting 11. That way when we have an absentee, he would have a viable option who would fit right into his system take the place of the absentee.

Unless you take risk you never know, but again just that one defeat alone won't be sufficient in my book to right the youngsters off the pitch.

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte admits he’s worried about his health

“I’m worried about this, it’s true,” Conte told reporters. “For this reason I pay great attention to my health.

“I always eat healthy food and I run and do fitness too. I don’t do the same as the players because in the training session I prefer to observe and give instructions.

“But when we finish if we have time and I’m not tired I try to have my period of fitness. We have four pitches and I run around them for 40 minutes.

“In one game I’ll try to put the GPS or a heart monitor on me and measure my stats.”

I love this guy. We  just need to be aware of what went wrong at Juventus so that the same thing cannot happen at this club. Conte is the closest thing to Simeone in world football but he has way more class than the Argentine in my opinion. The future is looking good for Chelsea once again.

56 minutes ago, Last Sicarius said:

It's good to have a trainer whoes isnt scary to change a formation/tactic/players when all goes wrong. Pick 3-4-3 tactic, choose Alonso&Moses into team, drop Ivanovic. Well done sir,

Don't jinx it! Maybe I'm just being paranoid but now that Ivanovic is back from injury, I'm kinda scared that Conte will throw him straight back into the starting XI.