The Conte Thread

3 minutes ago, Styles said:

Yes, I believe so. And trust me, that's not to protect Conte - there are some worrying signs about his management but I refuse to blame him for having non-footballers make up 70% of his squad.

Its just you being hypercritical towards your own team. Conte was shit today and was shit against Swansea.

17 minutes ago, Henrique said:

Even if Diego had equalized, whats different from what we have seen during Hiddink tenure? I remember some games of "fighting spirit": last minute equalize against Unite, that Spurs game, and I think you are being a little optimistic about the current form being enough for a top 4 finish. United, City and Arsenal are definitely finishing on top 4, and I'm really impressed with Liverpool. They had the hardest table in first 5 games, and got 6 points in away games against Arsenal and Chelsea.

Finishing between 5th and 6th is the reality of this team, in my opinion, and it would be really hard to see Conte surviving such a finish.

Hiddink we did it three times irrc, we already matched that tally in four games Also problem with Liverpool is they stop too many easy points, they remind me off our pre Roman team in that respect.

City are champions this season no doubt, but beyond that it's a 3 for all, the three least average sides will make it. 

41 minutes ago, Styles said:

What would you class as positive direction? We could play awful football for most of the year and still finish higher than we did last season.

Positive signs for me would be a progressive, modern style of play being implemented, some dead-wood being banished and players like Aina getting a chance. How likely are those things to happen? I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Lets not suddenly forget the previous four matches. West ham we played well even if they were crap. Last year when teams underperformed we still created didly squat. This year we have impotus, play out from the back more and make more direcr passes to wide players and Diego. Played well against Burnley, and well enough to have beaten Swansea by half time. We arent back to where we need to be, but its still progress towards it. 

One stat that actually means something to me is the shots we have conceded this season which is a massive improvement on last season. Even tonight when we were abysmal and dominated, we werent exactly peppered with shots, though Matic and Oscars lazy jog tried their best to make Kante try and close one attacker whilst keeping an eye on the other. 

At the end of the day, progress should be judged also on the style Conte wants. He obviously wants a mobile midfield which is why cesc isn starting. Whether he should sacrifice mobility for some fucking brains is another question. 

Conte isnt the messiah or the next guardiola. But then i honestly doubt guardiola could do much better with the starting 11 today. 

4 minutes ago, Supermonkey92 said:

I don't get this 'Liverpool's team is no where good as ours'. Where, exactly? For the record i think of Liverpool as a on the brink of top 4 team. 

Keeper and defensive mid, i get it. Id prefer Costa over sturridge but thats mighty close. Hazard over coutinho? Not sure anymore. Willian over Firminho? I dont think so. Oscar vs Llalana? Matic vs the dutch fella? Ivanovic vs Clyne? Heck James bloody milner seems about as good as apzi at the moment in left back and twice as good going foward. 

Its not just perfectly justified to point out how bad this team is, its neccessary to compare it to Liverpool's. 

Dont twist my words. I just said that the quality of the players don't explain why Liverpool dominated the game for most part. Ok, you might see Firmino. Llalana, Coutinho, "dutch fella" and Clyne as better players than Oscar, Willian, Hazard, Ivanovic and Matic, but they are not way better. Actually, most of the pundits would agree thats the other way (our starting XI is better than Liverpool's one). This is squad is decent enough to have a good game against Liverpool, but that never happened. The team barely created, and when pressed barely defended. 

5 minutes ago, Henrique said:

Dont twist my words. I just said that the quality of the players don't explain why Liverpool dominated the game for most part. Ok, you might see Firmino. Llalana, Coutinho, "dutch fella" and Clyne as better players than Oscar, Willian, Hazard, Ivanovic and Matic, but they are not way better. Actually, most of the pundits would agree thats the other way (our starting XI is better than Liverpool's one). This is squad is decent enough to have a good game against Liverpool, but that never happened. The team barely created, and when pressed barely defended.

It's a shame  for us that football is not played on paper. Maybe our so-called bigger names would have won but they got exposed for what they are: frauds.

1 hour ago, Amblève. said:

I absolutely do think that Matic was poor tonight, not the first time either this season. The role he's supposed to play doesn't suit him (at least not on this level) though so it's hard to actually expect good performances out of him. However, I do expect Conte to notice that Matic is simply not providing enough as the ball-carrier in that first-11 and to drop him or put him into another role as the season progresses. Whether Fabregas actually is a better option we have to fully see yet but I'd rather take my chances with him than with an ultra-defensive midfield that failed to provide any defensive stability and pressing vs Liverpool let alone to contribute offensively (And no, I don't think a one-off warranted Matic staying on the pitch; he had 3, I believe, more runs in almost the same manner that completely failed so banking on him providing any offensive output close to his assist is rather delusional).

My reasoning for bringing on Fabregas at halftime has more to do with the way we played football in the first half than the result itself because we might as well have been 3:0 or 4:0 down considering the shit show we displayed. Even our only goal came after a Matic run that you see twice a season tops and nothing after that goal came even close being a decent chance. I get it, 2:0 down with still 45 minutes to play you try to keep your head and take calculated risks. 2:1 and you're suddenly back in the game again, once more you take a calculated approach and see what you can get. Unfortunately though this team hasn't looked convincing at all in these kind of situations for 1,5 years now, mostly simply because we don't have the players to keep calm and produce THAT one chance. Hazard was the only player on the pitch capable of doing so but he's only gonna do it so often. Fabregas who can pick out that one pass didn't get to play until the last 7 minutes or so and even when he was on the pitch he was used for putting crosses into the 18-yard box.

Conte should have committed to one approach in the 2nd half instead of that half-assed system. Either try to run Liverpool off the pitch or bring on Batshuayi to occupy the space between Costa and our midfield but don't ever try to play controlled football with this collective of players when you're behind.

Fabregas shines when he gets on the ball a lot of times. He needs good off the ball movement: the run determines the pass. What other than just hoofing it towards Costa could he had done? I'm not convinced that the team could have made it a nicer environment for him. Could it really been better with him 20 minutes earlier?! Mhh. 

"ultra-defensive midfield that failed to provide any defensive stability and pressing vs Liverpool"

Mané has been in good form for the last couple of weeks, however against Chelsea he couldn't do shit. Maybe he had a one-off, or Chelsea took good care of him. How many clear cut chances did Pool really had? Sure they played the ball around, but they didn't get behind the central defence many times. There must have been some defensive stability from Chelsea's midfield and that wasn't just Kanté, imo.

I wouldn't downplay the importance of a move that brought us right back into the game. You need to start from somewhere, need a basis and if that free kick from Fabregas had gone in, it would have been one important point. But yeah, not every of his moves was a good one, most people know that he's all about that left foot and can be a bit ackward with the ball at this feet.
Between Fabregas and Matic it's a question of what you want. You said it yourself, you want to take more risks, more action, many people would go with Fabregas in this scenario, i guess.

Against this Klopp side you need to pass the ball quickly, Fabregas might have been a start, but most part of the team aren't good enough for this kind of stuff, so maybe it wouldn't have worked. We've only seen him for a short amount of time but for me there was nothing that suggested a different outcome. 

For me Hazard was poor, didn't see much of him in the second half. I liked more of what Willian did.

When was the last time Chelsea won a league game when they were 2:0 behind at half time?  But yes, your proposal (Batshuayi) in the last paragraph sound good to me. Wasn't it Oscar's job?

2 minutes ago, Henrique said:

Well we were particularly bad tonight even by our normal standards. Our sub par players arent normally as sub par as they were today. That seems to account for the first half at least. Though this comparing one by one is very limited, at the end of the day its how a team plays together compared to the other. 

Our problem is, and has been for 2 years, intelligence. Willian doesnt actually have an idea what to do when he goes on impressive runs from deep. Matic roams forward, no clear option? Run down a dead end on the left flank or pass to apzi and wait awkwardly 5 yards away from him. Cahill seems to panic if the easy pass to Terry isnt on. 

Liverpool's team play like a unit, we only seem to do that against lesser teams but its a start. Last season our play was so disjointed it was baffling. But the ceiling for this team to play as a fluid but defensively able unit is held back by unintelligent and poor technique players

14 minutes ago, Styles said:

He was, absolutely. Using your 3 subs with just 6 minutes to go despite losing for almost the ENTIRE game is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen a supposedly top coach ever do.

Trust me I'm not being hypercritical at all. You said in one of your earlier posts:

"Liverpool's starting XI today was not even close of being stronger than ours."

Again, that's something I disagree with. Several of our players wouldn't make Liverpool's team. You think Cahill, Ivanovic, Oscar, Matic would? Hell, I would take Mane over Willian personally.

And think you were also saying years ago that Atletico's team was easily better than ours in that UCL semi final, after the team was completely outplayed. Liverpool's squad is also average, and everyone who know about the game realizes it. The difference today was very simple: Klopp is a better manager. Conte is a gamble, and just like AVB until he is getting more praise for wild celebrations than anything else. Lovren is no better than Cahill, Henderson is a very limited player and Milner is solid but far from special.

Our squad is really limited, but so is Liverpool's one. The result today was not a result of a bad squad playing against a very good one, as some people are saying. Its weird when people are saying Conte is so unlucky because he didn't get the likes of Nainggolan (good player, but nothing special). If we have a manager that need a Nainggolan tier to get a decent game, then we are definitely fucked. 

Im basically saying Conte should do better with the current squad. Bringing the quality of the squad in a thread about Conte is no more than an attempt to create excuses, even if you dont want to.

4 minutes ago, Henrique said:

And think you were also saying years ago that Atletico's team was easily better than ours in that UCL semi final, after the team was completely outplayed. Liverpool's squad is also average, and everyone who know about the game realizes it. The difference today was very simple: Klopp is a better manager. Conte is a gamble, and just like AVB until he is gettin more praise for wild celebrations than anything else. Lovren is no better than Cahill, Henderson is a very limited player and Milner is solid but far from special.

Our squad is really limited, but so is Liverpool's one. The result today was not a result of a bad squad playing against a very good one, as some people are saying. Its weird when people are saying Conte is so unlucky because he didn't get the likes of Nainggolan (good player, but nothing special). If we have a manager that need a Nainggolan tier to got a decent game, then we are definitely fucked. 

Its important you realise how good Liverpool can be. I dont think they are as good as the media an the bin dippers think, but its almost normal in the past year for them tp take city, Arsenal, united and spurs to the sword. We arent talking some random performances either. Some times they are useless, sometimes they're rabid. One isnt more common than the either, its like a lucky dip. But a squad that can do that cannot be described as average. They are dangerous but notoriously inconsistent. 

Our Squad certainly isnt able to outgun the other big teams as often as they have, regardless of whether you think we should or not. 

Klopp didnt masterclass the quick free kick for the first goal, or the quick throw and good finiah from Henderson. Apart from Origi's header chances were  pretty thin. Similarly, Conte cannot be faulted for the shambles that was our first goal, or the folly that was Cahill's excuse for a clearence for the second. He cant be faulted for a naive Oscar or a lazy Matic. That has to fall on their shoulders. 

The moment players step on the pitch its down to them. A halftime talk a 3 subs is all a manager can do. The halftime talk seemed enough today for an improvement. The subs were undoubtedly wrong, but he is again limited by a squad on shoddy players apart from Batshuayi and Fabregas, the latter of which he doesn't think fits the style he's going for. Conte deserves criticism for his subs but only when remebered the background situation. 

1 minute ago, Supermonkey92 said:

Klopp didnt masterclass the quick free kick for the first goal, or the quick throw and good finiah from Henderson. Apart from Origi's header chances were  pretty thin. Similarly, Conte cannot be faulted for the shambles that was our first goal, or the folly that was Cahill's excuse for a clearence for the second. He cant be faulted for a naive Oscar or a lazy Matic. That has to fall on their shoulders. 

Game today wasn't a close match decided by small details or a superb goal as you are suggesting. We were outplayed for most part of the game, first minutes of 2nd half aside. 

2 minutes ago, Henrique said:

Game today wasn't a close match decided by small details or a superb goal as you are suggesting. We were outplayed for most part of the game, first minutes of 2nd half aside. 

The performance wasnt close but the result was. The two arent the same thing. Liverpool's dominance wasnt turned into chances let alone clear chances. If Cahill thumps the clearence into the crowd no second goal, forgetting about the disaster defendinh for the first. Or, just keep the entire game the same but fabregas scores the free kick at the end and its a draw. The result absolutely could have changed due to minute details, regardless of how badly we were outplayed. 

Regarding the performance of the two teams in the first half, Conte cannot in my eyes be seen to have any significant fault.The midfield was strolling around, they didnt even chase shadows, they waved at them as they walked by. Except, of course, Oscar who would frequently leave the guy behind him (thus destroying whatever shape the team did have) only to chase a CB who plays it around like a family teasing a dog with a bone! Such stupidity is frustration which gets the better of a naive and unintelligent player.

24 de set - Premier League
-m-0xbm__56x42.pngArsenal

x
13:30
Chelsea-m-023fb__56x42.png

1 de out - Premier League
-m-02b2np__56x42.pngHull City

x
11:00

15 de out - Premier League
-m-023fb__56x42.pngChelsea

x
08:30
Leicester City-m-01rlzn__56x42.png

23 de out - Premier League

x
13:00
Manchester United-m-050fh__56x42.png

________________________________________________________________________________________

Next games are not looking good. There is a good chance we don't get more than 2 points in next 4 games, and that will mean 3 points 6 games.

53 minutes ago, Henrique said:
24 de set - Premier League
-m-0xbm__56x42.pngArsenal

x
13:30

1 de out - Premier League
-m-02b2np__56x42.pngHull City

x
11:00

15 de out - Premier League

x
08:30
Leicester City-m-01rlzn__56x42.png

23 de out - Premier League

x
13:00
Manchester United-m-050fh__56x42.png

________________________________________________________________________________________

Next games are not looking good. There is a good chance we don't get more than 2 points in next 4 games, and that will mean 3 points 6 games.

We always beat Arsenal, so that should be a no brainer. If we are having problems against Arsenal I'll be worried. 

Repetitive and Boring for watching Chelsea this era

Same XI Line up Which whole world Chelsea fans doubt over a year that why players like Ivanovic, Cahil, Oscar or even Matic still be our main squad 

70+ min for 3 sub between Mosess Cese Batman or Pedro well it's too often give them more minute or do smth. I don't wanna see this "sub-tactic" every game 

Something must be wrong with our managers to keep picking that 3-4 players or that was the order from people over him. 

It doesn't make any sense to keep playing RB that always lose his position and focus on crossing with his 1/100 crossing skill

this is klopp 2nd year at pool,,and they get chemistry stronger than last year. so i'm all out for Conte to make this season "a gamble" with the main target is CL spot. now,,we know we're shit when playing sit deep. why not try 3-4-3/3-5-2 when faces big teams antonio???

5 hours ago, Styles said:

We didn't invite pressure. What happened (and what tends to happen when we play good teams that do things like pressing well) is we got exposed for what we are: a shit footballing team that cannot build play under pressure or even keep the ball beyond 4 passes. So we end up camped inside our own half with no outlet.

This has been the Chelsea way for several years. We only play well against shit teams that don't press and show us too much respect.

What needs to be addressed more than anything is the fact we have so much fucking dead weight all over the place - players that wouldn't make the bench at top clubs are first choice here. It's a joke. Conte may or may not be a good manager but we'll never know because of the group of players.

*Sighs* 

the truth hurts.