Claude Makelele

the wes

Well if he does go, i'd wish him well. He has been a fantastic player for us. I remember the day it was announced we had signed Maka, I was so excited I nearly pee'd my pants. World class is used far too often, but in Maka's case, it fits like a glove.

well i doesn´t surprise me that much....i supposed him to quit professional football or leaving to do so at another smaller club.

for me he is what i call a reasonable, professional footballplayer....lots of expirience, someone who can calm down a stressy sitution on the pitch...

well, thanks Maka, with 35 you deserve some rest now , man !

For me he is what i call a reasonable, professional footballplayer....

I don't know if your meaning was lost in translation diskoviolente, but Maka is much more than a reasonable player. He was for a long time the best in the world in his position. But now John Obi or Essien can play there and they have had a good teacher. Although personally, i'd have liked to see Diarra stay and make that position his own.

well it was mybe lost in translation

i wanted to say that Makelele seemed to me like down to earth who kept cool and arranged the midfield besides Lamps and Ballack or if need ed the defense wing....

well it was annoying to see him discuss every decision of the refs in the Euro...that didn´t fit that much to the Makelele i knew

well, hope you guys understand what i wanted to say

It is hard for players to play at the very highest level at the sort of age Maka is now. He did incredibly well last season, but i think given the chances in the club this season i think now is the time to look forward without him and build our midfield without him, which has been hard up till now..

Claude Makelele is staying at Chelsea having signed a one-year extension to his contract which will keep him at the club until 2010.

The French midfielder had been widely expected to leave Stamford Bridge to spend the remainder of his career at French club Paris St-Germain. But new manager Luis Felipe Scolari had insisted that the club keep the experienced player for at least another year.

ufnmakelele.jpg

Makelele joined Chelsea in 2003 from Real Madrid for £16.8 million and has since made 144 appearances for them.

The 35-year-old will now be able to focus all his attention on his Chelsea duties following his retirement from international football last week.

Makelele was involved in every minute of France's Euro 2008 campaign, which ended after the group stages following their 2-0 defeat to Italy.

It is the third time he has announced his international retirement - and it is thought that Chelsea wanted to know for sure before offering him an extension.

He first made the decision to retire in 2004 but later changed his mind deciding that he would help his country qualify for the 2006 World Cup. After losing to Italy on penalties in the World Cup final, Makelele again hinted that international retirement was what he wanted but he was still playing for France until last week.

He retires with 71 international caps.

Ex-Chelsea manager Avram Grant revealed last night that his former club are tracking Russian midfielder Yuri Zhirkov.

Grant was commenting on the Euro 2008 semi-final between Russian and Spain for Israeli TV when he made the revelation. It was previously believed that Chelsea were eyeing Andrei Arshavin but Grant corrected rumours stating that the interest was in fact in Zhirkov.

Source: Telegraph

2 more years which will take him to 37! That is quite a bold move. It has been mentioned before but it would be great to get Maka involved in coaching with the youth teams after he retires.

We are really going to have to look at our midfield hard in the next year or so, with Maka seemingly on a new contract to take him to 37, Ballack it is said is going to sign a new contract to take him to 35 and Lampard wanting a new contract which could take him to 34/35 we need to be looking what to do after these.

2 more years which will take him to 37! That is quite a bold move. It has been mentioned before but it would be great to get Maka involved in coaching with the youth teams after he retires.

We are really going to have to look at our midfield hard in the next year or so, with Maka seemingly on a new contract to take him to 37, Ballack it is said is going to sign a new contract to take him to 35 and Lampard wanting a new contract which could take him to 34/35 we need to be looking what to do after these.

I agree. We certainly need to look for the next generation in the likes of Moutinho and Ribery.

• 3 weeks later...

More confirmation, which is good news. To be fair if he was with Milan or any Italian team they'd be playing him in his 50s

Claude Makelele has informed the club that he has turned down the chance to join Paris St-Germain and wants to remain at Stamford Bridge. Reuters

More confirmation, which is good news. To be fair if he was with Milan or any Italian team they'd be playing him in his 50s

Claude Makelele has informed the club that he has turned down the chance to join Paris St-Germain and wants to remain at Stamford Bridge. Reuters

Blimey, this one has changed so many times now! Maka has been 100% leaving, then 100% staying!!

If used Sparingly Maka could certainly do another season, although as i have mentioned before, the age of our midfield is something that needs to be looked at sooner rahter than later.