Peter Osgood would have been 69 today.

Vincent

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My childhood hero. My favourite ever player could have been even better if that squeaky voiced cunt Emlyn Hughes hadn't purposely broken his leg and then stood over Ossie laughing. Another great thing about him is if you go on Youtube the number of times he gives the old two finger salute to the opposition fans.

1 hour ago, Iggy Doonican said:

My childhood hero. My favourite ever player could have been even better if that squeaky voiced cunt Emlyn Hughes hadn't purposely broken his leg and then stood over Ossie laughing. Another great thing about him is if you go on Youtube the number of times he gives the old two finger salute to the opposition fans.

Awesome man, i am too young to call him my childhood hero. Although i do wonder, without placing myself above others how many people who label themselves as Chelsea fans do actually know anything about Peter Osgood.

Looks like @Iggy Doonican wrote my post for me above. I would only add that it makes the hairs stand up when the Osgood song is sung by lads & lasses whose dads weren't born when Ossie first played for Chelsea. It's natural and right that younger fans should have their own heroes but I really hope that song is sung at The Bridge forever.

Heroes don't have to be perfect and Ossie certainly wasn't that. Nor was he (in my opinion) the best player to play for this club, He wasn't even the second best but he was, and is, The King. May he reign forever.

Sorry about the hair in the video but that was the 70s for you. :)

36 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 39 secs on the vid who was that goal against Orient perhaps ?

Yes it was in that fateful FA Cup 5th round tie in 1972.

I think that was a mammoth game in the history of our club. The game which marked the start of our decline from perennial challengers to wilderness dwellers. Shortly before half-time in that game we were favourites for the league title, had  a two-nil lead and one foot in the quarter-finals of the cup (a simply huge deal back then), a date with Stoke at Wembley for the League Cup Final, and a top-five hit single in the charts. Life was good and Blue really was the colour.

Little did we know that it would be pretty much all downhill from there. Not just for the next forty-five minutes, not just at Wembley 7 days later, but for most of the next twenty-six years.

It took us that long to recover from Orient's fight back that day and took me a fair while too. Webby had a great chance to snatch a draw late in the game but fired over. I remember watching it on Match of the Day that night with my uncle. Although I knew the result, I didn't know about that miss. Instant reaction when I saw it was head in hands and a scream of, "Kill yourself." My poor unc tried earnestly to explain that it was just a game and there was no call for me to shout things like that about Chelsea players.

Just a game? What did he know. :)

3 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Yes it was in that fateful FA Cup 5th round tie in 1972.

I think that was a mammoth game in the history of our club. The game which marked the start of our decline from perennial challengers to wilderness dwellers. Shortly before half-time in that game we were favourites for the league title, had  a two-nil lead and one foot in the quarter-finals of the cup (a simply huge deal back then), a date with Stoke at Wembley for the League Cup Final, and a top-five hit single in the charts. Life was good and Blue really was the colour.

Little did we know that it would be pretty much all downhill from there. Not just for the next forty-five minutes, not just at Wembley 7 days later, but for most of the next twenty-six years.

It took us that long to recover from Orient's fight back that day and took me a fair while too. Webby had a great chance to snatch a draw late in the game but fired over. I remember watching it on Match of the Day that night with my uncle. Although I knew the result, I didn't know about that miss. Instant reaction when I saw it was head in hands and a scream of, "Kill yourself." My poor unc tried earnestly to explain that it was just a game and there was no call for me to shout things like that about Chelsea players.

Just a game? What did he know. :)

I mentioned it somewhere else on the forum that Orient game was the first time I remember getting the piss taken out of me over a Chelsea game I was six years old. The worse ever was when we lost 1-0 to Wigan in the cup in 1980 I was at the game and the piss taking was so bad I feigned illness and went home early from school ha ha. I still have the programme we were so potless then that we couldn't change the cover so it said Chelsea vs Wigan or Northwich Victoria. 

On 23-2-2016 at 4:14 PM, LDN Blue said:

Rest In Power Ossy! :cfc:

--

NB: Good to see you around @Vincent - Hope all is well now regarding your circumstances!

I'm doing better than before! Cool to see that someone still remember me, lots of new members i've noticed.