Gonzalo Higuain

BlueTillIDie

2 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

If that deal being reported is correct, that is a great effort by the club and almost a 'no lose' situation.

If Higuain struggles then he'll go back in the summer and we start again. If he does well then we'll want to keep him another season anyway, and I'd be more than happy for that to happen if he scores the necessary goals to get us into the top 4. 

We're still likely in the summer to go for a striker as I can see Morata, Giroud and Batshuayi all leaving. It would give us the opportunity to bring in a top young striker and settle in for a season under less pressure if we have Higuain here.

The only disappointment I assume is that he's cup tied in Europe?

I thought they removed that cup tied thingy for this season

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is also a clear sign of the board listening to and backing Sarri. Jorginho, Kepa, now Higuain and soon Pulisic (hey they asked his opionion :P ). Could be worse, especially the first two were nice surprises. If we also got Paredes that would make it 5 already. We're slowly getting in players for his style, I think if this continues, then it's worth to have some patience and wait and see how it plays out with Sarri once we have some more new players in. I also think we can now ease a bit with our criticism of the board not backing him, actions are speaking otherwise. We will still need to revisit the striker situation this summer though, Higuain and Giroud are not sustainable for another full season, we will need to go in big for someone.

Just now, manpe said:

This is also a clear sign of the board listening to and backing Sarri. Jorginho, Kepa, now Higuain and soon Pulisic (hey they asked his opionion :P ). Could be worse, especially the first two were nice surprises. If we also got Paredes that would make it 5 already. We're slowly getting in players for his style, I think if this continues, then it's worth to have some patience and wait and see how it plays out with Sarri once we have some more new players in. I also think we can now ease a bit with our criticism of the board not backing him, actions are speaking otherwise. We will still need to revisit the striker situation this summer though, Higuain and Giroud are not sustainable for another full season, we will need to go in big for someone.

Agreed, this deal speaks volumes I believe because of the club's stance with over 30's. This must show an intent to make things work with Sarri.

The board can't go and trade off half the team in one summer, this evolution will be a slower pace but hopefully we can get top 4 this season and another summer window with a full pre season under Sarri to work on his style and tactics I believe will have a big impact and I would expect us to be far more competitive next season so long as the board don't pull the trigger early.

1 minute ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Agreed, this deal speaks volumes I believe because of the club's stance with over 30's. This must show an intent to make things work with Sarri.

The board can't go and trade off half the team in one summer, this evolution will be a slower pace but hopefully we can get top 4 this season and another summer window with a full pre season under Sarri to work on his style and tactics I believe will have a big impact and I would expect us to be far more competitive next season so long as the board don't pull the trigger early.

I'm optimistic that next season will be much better if we keep at it. Sarri having full pre-season with the whole squad, board doing some more good moves in the market and we will be in a much better situation than we were last summer or this season in general.

Kepa 

Azpi         Rudiger      Luiz       Alonso

Jorginho

Kante               Kovacic 

Pedro               Higuain            Hazard 

That will best arsenal and a spurs without Kane & Son. 

Top 4 may not be lost. Just having hazard on the left again will do wonders! This loan is great because we get our playmaker back! 

I like this signing very much, he'll give us goals at rate Morata and Giroud can only dream of.

However, what I have never understood about Sarri's obsession with Higuain is that the man is quite slow. You'd think a slow striker wouldn't fit well into the vertical tiki-taka aka Sarriball that relies so much on runs behind the defensive line. Are Higuian's movement and runs so intelligent and is his linkup so good that it compensates for his lack of speed?

3 minutes ago, !Hazard! said:

I like this signing very much, he'll give us goals at rate Morata and Giroud can only dream of.

However, what I have never understood about Sarri's obsession with Higuain is that the man is quite slow. You'd think a slow striker wouldn't fit well into the vertical tiki-taka aka Sarriball that relies so much on runs behind the defensive line. Are Higuian's movement and runs so intelligent and is his linkup so good that it compensates for his lack of speed?

When you keep the ball as much as we do movement is more important than speed.

11 minutes ago, !Hazard! said:

I don't think he's slow like somebody like Giroud is, but on the other end of the spectrum he isn't going to get the ball 40 yards out and beat the defenders for pace.

His movement off the ball though has always been good and i think has made him look deceptively quicker than he likely is and helps him get the initial couple of yards. His positioning around the box has always also been strong, especially compared to the likes of Morata and Giroud - he'll look for dangerous spaces to get into when in the box which the rest of our players seem incapable of at times. 

And one of the biggest positives is he will fight and work for everything. I believe after 18 months of Morata being generally poor overall and pathetically feeble, he'll get huge support from the fans just by doing the things that Morata isn't willing to do. His passion and desire leading the line should be a breath of fresh air.

11 minutes ago, communicate said:

Just get this thing done so we have a striker for Arsenal game

Do you think he'd start, even if he came in tomorrow, 2 days before the match?  Personally, I doubt it, maybe on the bench.  I think Anelka was on the bench in his first match which was a day or 2 after his transfer, but we had an injury crisis, IIRC.  We'll see.

Gonzalo Higuain is just another Alvaro Morata per these shocking stats

https://www.chelsea-news.co/2019/01/image-gonzalo-higuain-just-another-alvaro-morata-per-shocking-stats/

Chelsea are making attempts to sign Gonzalo Higuain from Serie A, and although Blues fans may be excited by that prospect, the Juventus striker is not an upgrade on Alvaro Morata.

According to WhoScored, Chelsea will only be getting a striker hitting similar numbers to the player they are keen to move on. Both players have below 10 goals this season in their league campaigns and Europa League combined.

In fact, Morata goes 168 minutes per goal as compared to Higuain’s 216.3 minutes before finding the back of the net this season. It’s understandable that Sarri wants his former red-hot striker to join him in England, but his days of scoring record-breaking 36 goals in a single season are over.

Here’s the full comparison between the two stars by WhoScored.

20192f12fMorataHiguain.jpg

snip