Gonzalo Higuain

BlueTillIDie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually really like Higuain but we already have an old man on the books. We should be targeting a young, explosive striker. Maybe Sarri has big plans for Batsman and Morata.

2 hours ago, The Skipper said:

If we sell Batshuayi then I’m okay with Higuain, Morata and Giroud as the front three tbh. 

I'd be more okay with selling Morata.  I think Bats has a lot of potential whereas Morata is more the finished article.  If we have Higuain and Giroud, we could get away with keeping the player with more potential, IMO.

Having said that.  I'd be happier to keep Morata instead of buying Higuain.  Unless we end up better off financially (by selling Morata for more), I just don't see the point in getting Higuain in.

4 hours ago, The Skipper said:

If we sell Batshuayi then I’m okay with Higuain, Morata and Giroud as the front three tbh. 

Would be a good choice, plenty to work with, all three are different types of players. Not 100% sold on Higuain but what I've always liked about him is hes guaranteed goals and a hard worker, always was at Real, Napoli and still is at Juventus, despite constantly criticisms regarding his weight, playing style etc. 

If anybody has to go out of our strikers its got to be Batshuayi, hes not cut out for a top team, even at the world cup it took him about 7 chances to score against Panama... plus I've seen enough of him in a Chelsea shirt, never impressed.  

Higuain was not exactly inspiring last season. He scored only 15 goals from open play in 32 league starts from my working outs. Is he really much of an upgrade on Morata who scored around the same amount with less starts. Don't see him being the player he was before. He is 31 by the end of the year.  Sceptical. Would rather keep Morata but doubt both of them will stay on board.

7 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

So am I to believe Chelsea are going to break their policy ( one yr deals for players over 30 ) for Gonzalo Higuain? We didn't sign Dzeko or Llorente for this reason, correct?

Dzeko or Llorente were only ever considered as our Plan B backup. Higuain would presumably be our main man.

His goal record is good. He would never be my first choice especially considering his age but if he can bang in goals I’m happy with that. 

Hopefully Moratta plays better under Sarri. It’s hard to judge him off of 1 season. I remember fans getting on Drogbas case after his first season here. 

17 hours ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

I'd be more okay with selling Morata.  I think Bats has a lot of potential whereas Morata is more the finished article.  If we have Higuain and Giroud, we could get away with keeping the player with more potential, IMO.

Having said that.  I'd be happier to keep Morata instead of buying Higuain.  Unless we end up better off financially (by selling Morata for more), I just don't see the point in getting Higuain in.

Even if we sell Morata, I just don't see the point of getting Higuain either. Sure, he has a good goalscoring record but like others have pointed out, he's turning 31 years old in December. Is it really wise to have two 30 y/o+ strikers in the team? They can easily go downhill in 1-2 years time and when that happens, we'll have to go buy ourselves another striker again and wouldn't be able to recoup much by selling them. As for Batshuayi, he's more of a poacher (even then, he needs several chances to score a goal) and he doesn't offer much outside the box. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Even if we sell Morata, I just don't see the point of getting Higuain either. Sure, he has a good goalscoring record but like others have pointed out, he's turning 31 years old in December. Is it really wise to have two 30 y/o+ strikers in the team? They can easily go downhill in 1-2 years time and when that happens, we'll have to go buy ourselves another striker again and wouldn't be able to recoup much by selling them. As for Batshuayi, he's more of a poacher (even then, he needs several chances to score a goal) and he doesn't offer much outside the box. 

Don't get me wrong.  I really don't see the point in buying Higuain.  To be honest, I really don't know who or what kind of striker we need.  Under Sarri, Higuain and Mertens have both been proficient.  Completely different types of players.  

12 minutes ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

Don't get me wrong.  I really don't see the point in buying Higuain.  To be honest, I really don't know who or what kind of striker we need.  Under Sarri, Higuain and Mertens have both been proficient.  Completely different types of players.  

Way I see it is he would definitely be a step up to what we have at present as for being more technical and for giving us goals.

A big plus is Sari knows him well so will know what each other wants.

If course the downside is his age and lack of resale value/ But if we get 3 odd years out of him would be great and HOPEFULLY in the meantime we can be training someone younger.

In a perfect world of course I'd rather buy a top young striker now. Icardi would be my choice and many more of us no doubt. Roman should get over to Inter and do some of his business.

60m plus wages? For a declining 31 yr old? Are you guys nuts? If Higuain comes in at a similar number to Giroud I’m fine with him but a three year deal ( which breaks Chelsea’s own policy ) will be suicide. He’ll end up amortizing at 30m a season! Sorry that makes little sense.

37 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

60m plus wages? For a declining 31 yr old? Are you guys nuts? If Higuain comes in at a similar number to Giroud I’m fine with him but a three year deal ( which breaks Chelsea’s own policy ) will be suicide. He’ll end up amortizing at 30m a season! Sorry that makes little sense.

From what ive seen we seem to be his only intended destination, that gives us some good leverage. If we do end up buying higuain I would be comfortable around 40m with performance related bonuses. But a flat 60? even I am probably not down with that, and i always try to be optimistic.

From what ive seen we seem to be his only intended destination, that gives us some good leverage. If we do end up buying higuain I would be comfortable around 40m with performance related bonuses. But a flat 60? even I am probably not down with that, and i always try to be optimistic.

Anything more than 30m is a gross overpayment. Bare in mind we will have to sell a striker to accommodate him as well. Our non-homegrown player quota is now full.

9 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

Anything more than 30m is a gross overpayment. Bare in mind we will have to sell a striker to accommodate him as well. Our non-homegrown player quota is now full.

im willing to eat the extra 10 to keep Hazard/Sarri happy. But at this point the numbers are an over payment for sure. Ya but I think we all knew one of Bats/Morata were gonna move on this summer. (If neither do I would be fine, i have faith at least one will come good)

im willing to eat the extra 10 to keep Hazard/Sarri happy. But at this point the numbers are an over payment for sure. Ya but I think we all knew one of Bats/Morata were gonna move on this summer. (If neither do I would be fine, i have faith at least one will come good)

Makes no sense... you don’t move young pieces like Bats and Morata and replace them with an aging, declining striker. If we move one of these players I want someone coming back who is either in their prime or nearing it. Otherwise we will be in the same predicament in a year or so.