• Baba Rahman
    • Mikel
    • Fabregas
    • Willian
    • Hazard
    • Pedro
    • Costa
    • Oscar (sub)

I have reserved opinion on Baba for a long time, since when I saw him play he wasn't always that good. Tonight he proved him self and then some! Man of the match in my opinion!

Hopefully he keeps his place when Terry gets fit, and keeps improving. He is only 21 and could become our new nailed on starter at LB (which also moves Azpi to the right).

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, DYC. said:

They're simply better. Comfortably better. It was like watching a ship (Chelsea) in a heavy storm (PSG) for large parts of the game.

Some good spells here and there but they were short. Good thing was Chelsea could conjure up some good moments despite struggling.

Hoofing the ball. Chelsea's big game trademark. And no team can do last-ditch defending and survive an onslaught like Chelsea. It's quite amazing.

Chelsea's not keeping a clean sheet so at least three goals are needed. Not impossible but hard.

Costa can't score in Europe. Worried it's going to become a 'thing'. Hazard can barely get out of first gear. Not good. Sad too. Cesc is too limited.

Courtois, Azpilicueta, Baba and Willian, well done.

I had no expectations whatsoever, but you are too dramatic I feel. This was an away game and Paris have some record at home in this competition. Madrid have played there back in October and did not even score. 

Courtois needs to improve his distribution...our defenders should display more composure some times instead of hoofing the ball....we need to build from the back...anyway perfromance was a lot better than i expected!!..we must dominate the home leg game !!

I don't think it was our defending that let us down today; more like our midfield with anonymous players like Mikel and Fabregas letting PSG absolutely boss the park and create as many chances as they needed to win the game. Christ, I miss players like of Ballack, Essien and Mak.

I would say we should go for Verratti in the summer, but why the fuck would he come here?

If I was told 2-1 before the game I would've taken it though.

Baba = boss.

1 minute ago, petre.ispirescu said:

I had no expectations whatsoever, but you are too dramatic I feel. This was an away game and Paris have some record at home in this competition. Madrid have played there back in October and did not even score. 

You think? Simply stating they were better. I'm not saying Chelsea was awful but it wasn't good. Maybe my expectations were higher than yours.

Still some good moments. Could've scored twice on another day. But then again, they could've scored three or four on another day. They created quite a few chances.

You're right about Real but it has to be said that they were in poor form back then.

PSG is a very good team.

Our away record in Champions League knockout stage is pretty rubbish...

1999/00 - P1 L1

2003/04 - P3 W2 L1

2004/05 - P3 L3

2005/06 - P1 D1

2006/07 - P3 W1 D1 L1

2007/08 - P3 D2 L1

2008/09 - P3 W1 D2

2009/10 - P1 L1

2010/11 - P2 W1 L1

2011/12 - P3 W1 D1 L1

2012/13 - KOed in Group Stage

2013/14 - P3 D2 L1

2014/15 - P1 D1

2015/16 - P1 L1

Only 6 wins from 28 games.

It is very sad that Baba will be back on the bench when Terry is back and Ivanovic will be against Di Maria on Stamford Bridge :( This is why we need manager who trust in young players because Baba brought a great perfomance tonight on the big stage .. well done :)

37 minutes ago, Robguima said:

I was not referring to the clubs or recent teams, but these lineups.

we have players out of their depth, others can't be bothered, while others are n decline. Plus we are, as usual but more so, lacking strength in depth - Ramires might have helped today.

the club has given up on this season and selling Ramires while getting no replacement attest to that imo. They are thinking next season.

W.r. transfer matters, you belong to the club of optimists when you say they plan for next season.

1 hour ago, lucio said:

bran excellent bar the goal

fullbacks excellent
pivot was outclassed by the 3
cahill was awful
hazard seems to be a lost cause

Cahill awful? How. He done well tonight.

24 minutes ago, The Mak said:

I don't think it was our defending that let us down today; more like our midfield with anonymous players like Mikel and Fabregas letting PSG absolutely boss the park and create as many chances as they needed to win the game. Christ, I miss players like of Ballack, Essien and Mak.

I would say we should go for Verratti in the summer, but why the fuck would he come here?

If I was told 2-1 before the game I would've taken it though.

Baba = boss.

Them dominating the game is not down to Mikel and Fabregas. It is down to the tactics of our manager who wanted us to keep tight and counter with force. The plan was never for us to dominate the ball. The plan worked quite well tonight too. Unfortunately we just were on the losing side. If Oscar scored that goal, everyone would of been praising Fabregas. When he got the ball, he was effective imo.

Regarding Verratti, he just signed a new contract but yeah quality little player :D

Just now, Ryan Fong said:

Oscar for Hazard was a bad bad move. Should've done better Guus, but well it's not the end of the world, expected result.

Why was it a bad move? What did Hazard do all game? Not very much. Sure he has been a great player for us in the previous seasons but this year he has been so average at times and just didn't offer too much bar one or two little flashes of what he can do. Willian and Pedro's performances were much better as well as the fact Pedro and Willian offered more than what they do going forward although. If Oscar stuck that chance from Cesc's pass in for 2-1 it would have been the right sub, although it probably was the most ideal sub we could make anyways. Hazard absolutely has to take these games by the scruff of the neck if he wants to be truly be one of the top players like Messi, Ronaldo or Neymar. 

58 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

I will ask this again....Any chance Hazard can rear his head for this...

The fall from grace has been so sharp... I can't believe this is the same player who basically won us the title last year, a shadow of himself is a total understatement.

Big players need to be decisive in these matches. Can you imagine Neymar, Messi or even Silva being subbed out of a game like this with it still in balance? He's doing next to nothing out there and it is extremely frustrating as a chelsea fan. 

The fact that Oscar came in for him at 70 tells me one of two things, either Hazard is still out of shape and was knackered or he just doesn't possess the focus and concentration to make a difference in these big ties. Either way this is very bad for Chelsea... 

A mostly-good performance that was certainly our best of the three occassions that we have played PSG away. Baba was probably the standout, although Courtois, Azpi, Cahill, Ivanovic (apart from Cavani's goal), Willian, and Pedro all contributed well throughout. Costa and Mikel were fairly up-and-down, despite the assist and the goal respectively; Fabregas was mostly down after a very good past few weeks; Hazard was FAR too quiet, despite some brief flashes of quality.

My main take-away from the game was that Hiddink needs to sort out the midfield for the 2nd leg (obvious point is obvious), as the lack of pressing and the deep positions being taken-up by both Fabregas and Mikel (all done to prevent PSG's pacey players from having free runs at our defence, I would presume) meant that Willian and Costa were ridiculously exposed and therefore easy for PSG's defence and three CMs to play around.

Hazard needs to leave this club ASAP. Our fans our beyond clueless. He was great in the 1st half and was at the heart of our best moves yet he's getting abuse for tiring? Yeah he gave the ball away but you need to take risks when you're playing on the counter and can't keep the ball.

All this criticism is mind-boggling it's like people don't even watch games anymore. Costa missed two clear-cut chances and was the worst player on the pitch in the 2nd half yet all the talk is about Hazard who's not even fit.

With a patched up back four I think we done well to get away with a 2-1 defeat. They are a talented side with strength in depth on the bench. My fear for the home leg is that we know we have to attack and score and that they will pick us off on the break. And we will have to score a few because we cant keep a clean sheet to save our lives.

I thought we done well in the first half and were for periods the better side. But in the second half they upped their game and we just couldn't cope in midfield. Mikel a bit slow and cumbersome, and Fabregas is lightweight and too easily bundled off the ball. We will need to improve greatly if we are to turn this around.

Oh and fuck you Cavani..........I fucking knew you'd score when I saw you coming on.

For me, it was a better performance than our entire 120 minutes at The Bridge last year.

The fact that we are 12th in our league and held our own against the French champions speaks volumes. We're 12th for a reason, so it's better to not expect a spectacular display at such a difficult moment for us.

Hopefully having the JT spirit back will inspire us to win the tie! COYB!