Matt Miazga

Jase

Matt Miazga’s game by numbers vs Aston Villa:

6 clearances -- 4 aerial duels won -- 3 tackles won -- 3 blocks -- 1 interception

Pretty solid stats for a debut game, even if it is against Villa. Was part of out first clean sheet in 10 games, I call that progress, confidence is key!

I'll be honest, i didn't expect much and the opposition was not that brilliant. So that will play a big part in my judgement, and no doubt most of you as well. Nonetheless it was encouraging and i would like to see how he performs against a better opponent before forming a legit opinion.

As the rest have said, it's only Villa, but then again, he clearly made his solid contribution and looks very, very calm and reassuring on the ball. Off the ball he's strong and has that Zouma-esque heading so I'm excited to see if Matt can end up playing alonside Zouma one day. For now, I want to see him start the rest of our games (just like RLC) and let's give him some valuable time on the pitch - especially if Terry leaves next season, because Matt could do with that kind of mentorship right now.

1 hour ago, lucio said:

should start the remaining games.

No reason not to, we are not getting relegated or making CL. Might as well see what you got going forward including other young players. Learning nothing new out of Cahill or Ivanovic. 

1 hour ago, lucio said:

yeah , big mistake. Poland much more glorious. probably regrets it now, with the move to chelsea, and potential to play in euros...

Disagree the kid will gain much more fame and recognition as an American player. Landon Donaven and Tim Howard good players in their own right, they would never have gained the status they have received if represented other nations.

2 hours ago, manpe said:

Impressed. First start and full 90 in the EPL coming from a weak league, he was rock solid and barely put a wrong foot in, calm in possession and facing opponents. Looking forward to seeing him more, he might not be another Papy after all. Borderline MOTM for me, considering between him and RLC.

Miazga, Zouma, Christensen + a new established and experienced CB would do the trick for the next years to come.

Thinking purely for next season I think one of them will need to go out on loan (probably Miazga) purely because the experienced defender will play every game which will leave three fighting for one place so one will almost certainly be "doing a De Bruyne", especially with no European footy potentially.

My ideal would be experienced defender, Christensen, Zouma and Terry/Cahill for next season.

Not bad making a debut, and helping the club to its first clean sheet in 10 games, eh?

Was really looking forward to his start from the moment he got here...Ofc, there are tougher opponents than Villa, but really pleased to see this performance.

Like manpe said, no signs of nerves despite this being his first game in the English league.

I think he should go out on loan next year tbh. We need to have something like x, Zouma, Christensen and ideally Terry (but probably Cahill), with x being a really good experienced defender. 

Footballers won't love and respect or have any passion for a club if you loan them. It's the new modern footballer mindset.