Buy leaders in the summer

Tomo

As PSG shown with Ibra, Thiago Silva, Motta, Ibra and Maxwell, they are around and can be brought, question is who and where? Maybe Ibra himself on a short term deal will be our first port of call.

The summer we should prioritize boosting the mental strength of the dressing room anyone else (unless their names are Pogba or Stones) should come secondary.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As PSG shown with Ibra, Thiago Silva, Motta, Ibra and Maxwell, they are around and can be brought, question is who and where? Maybe Ibra himself on a short term deal will be our first port of call.

The summer we should prioritize boosting the mental strength of the dressing room anyone else (unless their names are Pogba or Stones) should come secondary.

Why bother with a short-term deal in Ibrahimovic (especially when Mourinho is no longer here)? The players that we have didn't even pick up a thing or two about leadership from Lampard, Drogba, Cech and even Eto'o from the last 2-3 years.

I will be honest and I can see your point but its not like we have a really young team or really young squad, people seem to forget we have got guys here who have won basically everything there is to win in football at club level and some at international level. Leaders aren't the problem, performances are.

We could easily have competed for the PL this season but it really has been a shit season, the manager and players need to take the blame, not a lack of leaders, its not like Arsenal 3 years ago when United and City were demolishing them because they were a team of 20 year olds.

Like we saw last summer, you don't need to buy some experienced guy who is going to be only a good fit for the mental side of the game but for me someone who is hungry, will improve and add competitiveness to the squad, guys like Courtois, Zouma, Cesc, Costa, Filipe Luis, Remy, Drogba... although Drogba was a big influence off the pitch (although he played more times than Costa and Remy that year) you look at what Courtois, Cesc and Costa in particular added to the team who lets be honest our first season under Mourinho were beyond average and relied a lot on one guy.

It's not really as easy as 'buy some leaders' though.

Leaders emerge playing within the team for a while, the ones who actually take straight to the club and fans. A lot of the players we buy are coming from different leagues and set ups. You can buy all the Ibras and Silvas etc, but leaders can emerge anywhere.

As Ossie said, we have to hire leaders first to inspire players. Who knows, Zouma could be a leader under the right manager.

Leaders are made & can be broken. I'm sure if we buy some leaders they'll fall short of expectations for various reasons. Like a broken record, the hierarchy needs reshuffled prior to the squad.

The importance of leaders are exaggerated by retired footballers in England. Those pundits usually say two things: the players need a kick in the butt and the team need leaders. Boring.

“Clichés are clichés for a reason, man! Because they f*cking work!” –Samurai Apocalypse (Californication) :D

I'd like us to start how you build a house, with the foundations. Get proper football people in behind the scenes and start the whole process again from bottom to top. Do whatever it takes to fetch in the right manager with the right attacking philosophy.

Not just leaders on the pitch but football people behind the scenes.

I'd like us to start how you build a house, with the foundations. Get proper football people in behind the scenes and start the whole process again from bottom to top. Do whatever it takes to fetch in the right manager with the right attacking philosophy.

I see what you mean. I have thought for years that maybe, just maybe our coaching staff is not all that. I don't know if it's just me, but notice how most of the technical players we sign lose their ability over time. They become unrecognizable, while the butch tanks almost always flourish and improve here. Could be that they have this old school Mourinho-esque approach and don't really know what to do with all the flashy players. We are still trying to play like we always have, but it clearly isn't working because the profile of the players just doesn't suit. This, for me, is an indication of possible stagnation in coaching methods. This is just a far fetched theory of mine.

I cannot believe the number of people here calling JT "shit" and things like that. He's not playing as good as he used to, but show some respect, for Christ's sake. It's our captain, our legend you're talking about. How dare you call him "shit"?

Took words out of my mouth. Before planing how big the kitchen is going to be one needs a solid house plant and a constructor to actually build it!