Yuri Zhirkov

the wes

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

It was like this with Malouda when he first joined the club. They mentioned that he was second choice behind Joe Cole, and that he would be sold within a year.

I think it's far too early to determine his fate. Give him a chance at least.

Edited by CJ Revo

• 7 months later...

Zenit St Petersburg are considering a £21million bid to take Chelsea defender Yury Zhirkov back to Russia.

The 26-year-old endured a torrid first season at Stamford Bridge, struggling with injuries in both knees and making just 10 Premier League starts following an £18.6m move from CSKA Moscow.

Chelsea agreed to sign Zhirkov before Carlo Ancelotti arrived and the Russia international has struggled to fit into his manager’s plans.

He has mostly been used as Ashley Cole’s understudy, despite forging a reputation at CSKA as an attacking left winger.

Runaway Russian Premier League leaders Zenit would give Zhirkov a prominent role as they build a side for the Champions League and are also on the brink of signing Porto captain Bruno Alves for £18.2m.

Zhirkov refused to comment, saying he was only focussed on being fit for the new season with Chelsea.

‘I can say that I am a Chelsea player and It’s a great honour to play for the club,’ he said.

‘The knee is not a worry. The competition in our club for places is great . But I really want to play and will do everything I can to break into the team.’

------------------------------------

Source:- Daily Mail

------------------------------------

:chai:

Why on earth would we sell Zhirkov?! He's a great asset to us, left back and left midfielder! He can fill in for Ashley Cole or Malouda, a perfect player. Not to mention he was a leaving gift transfer from Hiddink!

We're not selling him back, Carlo would not allow it.

I love how they claim that Zhirkov had a "torrid first season". He obviously didn't. Whenever he played for us he was awesome, he just couldn't get enough game time because Ashley Cole is the first choice left back.

I honestly hope we don't sell him! Like you say, he's an asset to the team, and rightly so.

Edited by CJ Revo

When Cole was out, Zhirkov played a good football in a crucial moment of the season...that was a good season, far from being torrid. Bullshit, thats it.

Chelse won that game against Bolton after he made a superb assist for Drogba.

Edited by Henrique

What does everyone think of this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1300390/Yury-Zhirkov-lined-Zenit-St-Petersburg-21m-swoop-Chelsea-misfit-Russia.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I don't know, I mean fair enough he's only had one season but I think he's a bit over hyped despite the fact he's decent and can improve.

Already been posted on the forum, but it won't happen. Zhirkov had a good debut season, did his roles filling in for Ashley very well. There's no indication we're looking to sell, he's a great asset and player to us.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You