Realistic expectations for the second half of the season

BlueLion.

Can we achieve any of the following?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What can we realistically achieve?

• Win the FA Cup
    • Win the UEFA Champions League
    • Qualify for the UEFA Europa League - either by league position or by winning the FA Cup this season
    • Qualify for the UEFA Champions League - either by league position or by winning the tournament this season
    • None of the above - accept it, we're fighting relegation and will finish top ten at best

Each to their own, but you can't possible claim to know that we won't get Pep or Simeone.

We definitely aren't getting Pep. Simeone is a longer shot and would require a reorganisation of certain responsibilities at the club

The additional six players isn't a problem thanks to the millions being pumped in through TV revenues. This is a blip, a bad season. We will need years to rebuild sufficiently but we will not roll back into the dark ages for a decade like Arsenal did, as some people think.

José will destroy United's long-term future for a couple of seasons of success, as he's done here.

The problem is that EVERY club in the league is getting richer, which is why Everton could reject our overtures to John Stones. You have teams like West Ham buying talent like Payet as well, so the whole marketplace is becoming inflated.

The whole 'long-term future' thing is a little overplayed. Yes we amassed a lot of decent, appreciating talent but that doesn't give you a team. What you need is someone to build that team and Jose did that. He made us league champions and then we stopped giving him the backing he needed. He was undermined when it came to Cech and he was let down when it came to Stones and other targets.

It's why I'm pessimistic because I don't see any of that changing whilst the current board are still in charge. They've stumbled their way to success and benefitted from their massive buying power for much of the last decade, but we can't do that anymore. City can (and do) outspend us and have a far better team in place, and United won't be paying off interest forever. Now is the time for us to rebuild right from the top down, but we won't because the biggest obstacle to that is Roman himself. That's where my lack of optimism comes from.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We definitely aren't getting Pep. Simeone is a longer shot and would require a reorganisation of certain responsibilities at the club

The problem is that EVERY club in the league is getting richer, which is why Everton could reject our overtures to John Stones. You have teams like West Ham buying talent like Payet as well, so the whole marketplace is becoming inflated.

The whole 'long-term future' thing is a little overplayed. Yes we amassed a lot of decent, appreciating talent but that doesn't give you a team. What you need is someone to build that team and Jose did that. He made us league champions and then we stopped giving him the backing he needed. He was undermined when it came to Cech and he was let down when it came to Stones and other targets.

It's why I'm pessimistic because I don't see any of that changing whilst the current board are still in charge. They've stumbled their way to success and benefitted from their massive buying power for much of the last decade, but we can't do that anymore. City can (and do) outspend us and have a far better team in place, and United won't be paying off interest forever. Now is the time for us to rebuild right from the top down, but we won't because the biggest obstacle to that is Roman himself. That's where my lack of optimism comes from.

We tend to rest on our laurels a bit when in top and that's a big problem, but in the past when we've been in a bit of bother and needed to spend we have, January 2011, Summer 2012 and too a lesser extent January 2014.

Can see us splashing a lot in January and the summer, late but better late than never.

We tend to rest on our laurels a bit when in top and that's a big problem, but in the past when we've been in a bit of bother and needed to spend we have, January 2011, Summer 2012 and too a lesser extent January 2014.

Can see us splashing a lot in January and the summer, late but better late than never.

The issue is the person doing the targeting.

Truth is that to get the real problems out of this club, we might need to go through relegation and spend a long-time rebuilding.

would be nice to buy one solid box-to-box CM in January, play some alternate strikers or buy another, see RLC playing and maybe see Ola Aina getting time along with definite match time for Rahman.

I don't want to see more of Ivanovic starting this entire season and I don't want to see more of Chelsea running their midfield with one leg and destroying Nemanja Matic in the process. Poor decisions on transfers and Jose Mouinho have already done enough damage to Nemanja Matic.

well... good luck, Chelsea. More rumours about a Pogba transfer... SMH. buy another superstar and fail to build a solid side first? Why would Pogba want to play with this pathetic side anyway?