A New Technical Director

First thread but in all the discussion about new managers, maybe what the club needs is someone to replace Michael Emenalo and develop a cohesive footballing identity that unifies youth development, transfer dealings and coaching hires because at the moment, we don't have that.

It's nothing personal with the guy but Roman seems to have a blind spot when it comes to this role hiring people who are seemingly completely unqualified and poorly regarded in the world of football with first Avram Grant and now this chap.

Rather than hiring men of vision and experience, they seem to be chancers or 'yes-men' whereas maybe we need a more resilient buffer between owner and coaching staff so we don't become the 'rich man's plaything' that some rival fans have long described us as.

When City were taken over, the owner put footballing men in charge, gave them the resources they needed and took a step back. Whilst it's brilliant having such a passionate owner and he deserves our thanks for many things, maybe he isn't the best architect for a long-term footballing dynasty that survives managerial changes in the mould of Barcelona or Bayern Munich. Maybe he needs to let someone who knows what they're doing have the freedom to do that, much like he allowed the architects to design the new stadium.

For the first time I think a Director of Football or Technical Director might be the most important hire we could possibly make because otherwise we'll simply repeat the same cycle.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The technical director at this football club isn't your traditional one. He isn't the one that oversees the vision the club and decides what sort of dealings go on in the transfer market. It doesn't work like that at CFC IMO.

Emenalo is there to assist the first team manager and to assist the youth academy structure. He doesn't decide anything.

The technical director at this football club isn't your traditional one. He isn't the one that oversees the vision the club and decides what sort of dealings go on in the transfer market. It doesn't work like that at CFC IMO.

Emenalo is there to assist the first team manager and to assist the youth academy structure. He doesn't decide anything.

Is that last piece 'IMO' too?

He's essentially an intermediary who ties together every single department and to be in that role he needs to have a vision of where the club should be heading. I'm of the opinion that he doesn't, nor does he have to tools or the experience to do so.

What I'm saying is that we need someone in that role who does have both of those qualities but is also afforded the freedom and resources to go about their work without overbearing interference from the owner. He needs to trust this person to do the job he's hired them for.

I also think the role of Chief Exec could be problematic considering the horrific job that was done in the summer with regards preparing for the new season.

I'd scrap the lot of Roman's little fucking monkeys if I am honest. Maria Granwhatsherface, the glove puppet Emenalo and every other little side kick that comes with them.

If people want a different outlook and model then we need rid of these so called glove puppets, because I honestly think they have no clue about football what so ever.

The summer was a piss take, and this lot were all involved in it.

Is that last piece 'IMO' too?

He's essentially an intermediary who ties together every single department and to be in that role he needs to have a vision of where the club should be heading. I'm of the opinion that he doesn't, nor does he have to tools or the experience to do so.

What I'm saying is that we need someone in that role who does have both of those qualities but is also afforded the freedom and resources to go about their work without overbearing interference from the owner. He needs to trust this person to do the job he's hired them for.

I also think the role of Chief Exec could be problematic considering the horrific job that was done in the summer with regards preparing for the new season.

Emenalo's role according to TOCFCWS:

Michael Emenalo previously worked in both the scouting and coaching departments before being promoted to his current role in July 2011.

He has been an important part of the first team management structure since his arrival in October 2007, and now supports the work of the first team manager, leading the club's international and domestic scouting network, and assists in driving the technical programmes of our Academy and international youth network.

Emanolo is not a member of the board. http://www.chelseafc.com/the-club/about-chelsea-football-club/club-personnel.html

We need someone in the board who knows more about football than the current members.

The football director at Bayern is Sammer and at Atletico Caminero is the director. I don't think Simeone or Guardiola would want to work with our director or with our board. Even if they did I am not sure if can they repeat their success at Chelsea.

Emanolo is not a member of the board. http://www.chelseafc.com/the-club/about-chelsea-football-club/club-personnel.html

We need someone in the board who knows more about football than the current members.

He's a de facto member simply because our board are Roman's puppets and yes men. If you compare this summer with the last in the way we completed our business, you also need to look at the move from Ron Gourlay to Marina Granovskaia as Chief exec.

We're a club run by Roman and his mates (with the exception of Dave Barnard) with nary an ounce of football nous about them apparently. And they're untouchable, even if they offer their resignation as Emenalo rightly tried to do when Jose arrived. It's a joke.

Arnesen. Left or sacked, don't remember. After him, the TD role became so vague to me that I completely lost interest.

Hiddink might be our man. I'd like him.

Abramovich really does need to find highly qualified people to run the club. It's 'his' club but he's obviously not a visionary or anything. Appointed managers and player recruitment have been all over the place.

Arnesen. Left or sacked, don't remember. After him, the TD role became so vague to me that I completely lost interest.

Hiddink might be our man. I'd like him.

Abramovich really does need to find highly qualified people to run the club. It's 'his' club but he's obviously not a visionary or anything. Appointed managers and player recruitment have been all over the place.

Got there before me :lol:

Remember Arnesen then went to Hamburg and basically tried to recruit a lot of our youth player that he himself has signed. Tbh, he did a lot of good for our youth teams, but he wasn't allowed to stay on and see them come through.

As for who we should have, well that'll remain the big mystery won't it. I don't see Emenalo going any time soon, unless we continue to perform poorly and Abramovich has no choice. The problem is, I just see him hiring someone like Grant to takeover and we're going to have the same problems. Again.

Guardian had a piece on the 'individual' last week.

The ex Notts County full back was brought to SW6 on Avram Grants recommendation. He was promoted from scout to assistant first team manager when Ray Wilkins was sacked. Then made Technical Director and oversees the recruitment at academy and First Team level. He has avery close relationship with Abramovich and reports as to what is going on in the dressing room etc.

I would boot the prick out, and get someone of Arnesens calibre back. If Abramovich is so insecure, it would be cheaper to bug and have CCTV everywhere anyway.

not sure why people are having a dig at Marina Granovskaia for. She is the deal maker and is highly respected in the business side of football.

She doesnt get involved with deciding which player is right for the club until negotiation stages. I do believe she misread the John Stones situation and should have gone in with a big bid first off.

Emenalo has seen his role change and to be honest the further he is away from the footballing matters ...the better. One day, he will get found out but it was interesting that the board used him as their mouthpiece ref Mourinho sacking.

Seemed like they were setting him up for a fall from grace...and that CTV interview was bloody awful.

I too would like to see a senior footballing man on the board as a TD. Needs to be someone that isnt perceived to be a threat to whoever the manager is, but be able enough to step in if things were not right and Guus would fit the bill perfectly

not sure why people are having a dig at Marina Granovskaia for. She is the deal maker and is highly respected in the business side of football.

She doesnt get involved with deciding which player is right for the club until negotiation stages. I do believe she misread the John Stones situation and should have gone in with a big bid first off.

Emenalo has seen his role change and to be honest the further he is away from the footballing matters ...the better. One day, he will get found out but it was interesting that the board used him as their mouthpiece ref Mourinho sacking.

Seemed like they were setting him up for a fall from grace...and that CTV interview was bloody awful.

I too would like to see a senior footballing man on the board as a TD. Needs to be someone that isnt perceived to be a threat to whoever the manager is, but be able enough to step in if things were not right and Guus would fit the bill perfectly

Probably because of her position of power, she's being held accountable. Which to be fair, she is. But that doesn't mean she should be sacked, because you're right in her effectiveness. She was key in getting back Mourinho, Costa, Fabregas, Hazard's contract extension etc.

She's a negotiator and a bloody good one at that! But she needs someone to tell her WHO to negotiate over.

Emenalo's role according to TOCFCWS:

IF that is truly his role why are so many crying to get him out of the club? I think he's done a fantastic job highlighting talent and bringing it to the club... People are just looking for someone to blame I do not support the vitriol being slung at Michael at all.

Can someone please elaborate on why he needs to be fired?

IF that is truly his role why are so many crying to get him out of the club? I think he's done a fantastic job highlighting talent and bringing it to the club... People are just looking for someone to blame I do not support the vitriol being slung at Michael at all.

Can someone please elaborate on why he needs to be fired?

Because in his time he we haven't seen a cohesive vision emerge, although my first thought was to ask you why he should be retained? What qualifies him to be director of football of a major European club? For instance, City installed a man who had a track record of success at Barcelona as well as a history as a player with them. Emenalo quite simply doesn't.

Marina didn't just misread the John Stones situation, she turned the relationship toxic so that it stopped being a matter of money and became a matter of principle that they wouldn't sell to us. They still might not. She absolutely butchered that deal but I think the main issue I have is that she's another of Roman's people. We now have a circle at the top of the club who are entirely loyal to him and aren't football people, not to mention the shambles they made in 2011 when they essentially tried to steamroller the CPO. They seem to have learnt from that, but for the first time I really don't trust them.

What I'd like is for Roman to decide that he wants the best for the club and acknowledge that for that to happen he needs to hire the right people. Otherwise I don't see any manager having a chance.

Because in his time he we haven't seen a cohesive vision emerge, although my first thought was to ask you why he should be retained? What qualifies him to be director of football of a major European club? For instance, City installed a man who had a track record of success at Barcelona as well as a history as a player with them. Emenalo quite simply doesn't.

He works WITH the manager, how many managers have Chelsea had throughout his tenure? I count 5...

And just because he doesn't have a track record means absolutely nothing! In my eyes he's done a very good job at highlighting talent... He's uncovered a lot of world stars.