The Hiddink Thread

MefiX19

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Fernando said:

In fact, the rush of fixtures since Hiddink took over has left little time to develop intricate new tactics. But there has been one significant change of note: Chelsea attackers aren't bogged down with the many defensive responsibilities they had under Mourinho.

http://www.espnfc.us/club/chelsea/363/blog/post/2781132/chelsea-making-positive-changes-under-guus-hiddink

If this is true, then hallelujah to Hiddink and the coaching team.

The display against Palace was the best I have seen since the Jan 2015 5-0 thumping of Swansea City.

Attackers interchanging and passing angles being exploited by the midfield is what we footy fans want to see. 

22 hours ago, James said:

Great quote, hopefully the tactics used against United was a one off then.

I think not. I think we might see a similar counter-attacking approach at some point this season again. We were too defensive at times under Mourinho yes but one thing that compounded it was our inability to do the basic things - e.g keep the ball, make accurate passes, make the right decision when we have the ball. Basically, we didn't know how to launch a counter attack! As a result of that, we often found ourselves in defensive situations and had to repel wave after wave of attacks. I imagine Hiddink would adopt a similar approach but tweak certain things - e.g. do not sit too deep so that when we have a chance to counter, we have players high up the pitch to do damage - and work on those little basic things to ensure we can create proper counters.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Yes and isn't that an interesting change of tune? While it was made clear that his appointment was temporary, Guus's previous response to the question about staying beyond the end of 2015/16 was to say let's get to the end of the season and then see. Reasonable to guess that, between Guus's first media conference after returning and now, CFC have reached an agreement with the next coach.

Not much chance of finding out who any time soon I suppose.

I criticized Hiddink's team selection today and I still stand by it but fair play to him for his half-time change - bringing on Loftus-Cheek for Oscar. Introducing a youth player for a supposedly experienced one when we aren't playing great and are still only leading 1-0 is something that Mourinho would never do, even against teams like Scunthorpe.

32 minutes ago, Jason said:

I criticized Hiddink's team selection today and I still stand by it but fair play to him for his half-time change - bringing on Loftus-Cheek for Oscar. Introducing a youth player for a supposedly experienced one when we aren't playing great and are still only leading 1-0 is something that Mourinho would never do, even against teams like Scunthorpe.

That's right, he would've started at least one of Baba, Rlc or Kenedy.

Not criticizing Hiddink btw, fair play to him for today.

I think it's better to play RLC from 45' to 90'+, than 0' to ~ 60' min, like Mourinho sometimes did. All youngsters, not just him. It's the time when opponents are already a bit tired, and there is no scare that our youngster will get too tired in last 45 minutes. And there is always one under-performer in team who can be taken off for youth (usually Oscar).

Was a bit dissapointed with starting line up, but with those three subs it's all great. Keep it up, Guus.

EDIT:

If we somehow manage to play 4-3-3 with Matić-RLC-Fabregas and make it work, that could be the best thing that happened to this squad this season.

--------------Matić-------------

---------RLC-------------------

--------------Fabregas-------

---------------------------------

Willian---------------Hazard

------------Costa-------------

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Same here. In the end, it was a good idea to defeat the opposition in one match with the thought of using the regular starters, but I still get the feeling that it would have been better to use one or two younger players who could have provided something more to kill them off earlier.  Cesar can do even better from the right side and we know that Baba puts in excellent crosses.

At least there's no 2nd leg. That's a plus.

On 10/01/2016 at 8:06 PM, quickpassnmove said:

Same here. In the end, it was a good idea to defeat the opposition in one match with the thought of using the regular starters, but I still get the feeling that it would have been better to use one or two younger players who could have provided something more to kill them off earlier.  Cesar can do even better from the right side and we know that Baba puts in excellent crosses.

At least there's no 2nd leg. That's a plus.

There was never going to be a second leg under any circumstance but I know what you mean. :)

You'd be the first to point out, I know, that there is a lot more to playing full back than good crosses but we've seen little evidence of them from Baba in a Chelsea shirt anyway. He has made eight appearances; one was decent, one just about tolerable, and the rest ranged from poor to appallingly bad. So bad as to prompt speculation that if Baba trained as poorly as he played on those occasions, we might never see him in the first team again. Well we haven't seen much of him and there is clearly a reason for that.

Hiddink's line up against Scunthorpe pleased me because it suggests that his priorities are where I want them to be. I want to win the FA Cup. I'd be delighted to win with kids, but defeat with kids is of no use to me. I've read the argument that the presence academy graduates would be some sort of consolation in the event of defeat but I don't agree with that line of thought. If we lose with what Guus sees as his best XI then that is a consolation. At least then there would be no doubt that he had tried to win. If, however, the coach put out a side he felt was not our best, then defeat would attract my fury. I don't want consolation, I want Chelsea to compete for the magnificent trophy which was on the line at the weekend.

To those who ask how Hiddink can know if this player, or that player, is good enough unless they are played, I say that this is exactly what Hiddink is paid to decide. The only way for young players to get their names on the team sheet is to convince managers that they have the required abilities and attributes, and that all they lack is experience. They have to sell that idea to the coach with what they do in training, in development squad matches or out on loan. If they are unable to do that then they will not get minutes, and nor would they deserve to.