Ola Aina

Spike

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 6:54 PM, Blue Colored Sky said:

Would be incredibly hilarious for me if the first player to come through Chelsea's world class Academy to have significant role to play is the guy who was released and then re-signed by Chelsea ! Couldn't make this up.

He was never released. We wanted him to sign a new contract from ages ago but there was an impasse. He is way too talented for us to have not offered him a contract compared to the mediocre ones who have been offered ones. I guess from his angle he wanted a clear view to the first team and that is why the delay took so long.

I'm confused though (but it may just come down to their height differences) - why Aina and not Jay Dasilva? I don't have an above average understanding of football, but when I saw him play I was watching the best left-back I'd seen since Ashley Cole in his prime, youth or not. An article followed a few weeks or months later, tossing with the idea that he's a future Premier League great, which i totally agreed with - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2539708-chelseas-jay-dasilva-has-potential-to-be-1-of-premier-leagues-great-left-backs

So he obviously made an impression on some people. Nobody has ever been speaking of Aina after youth games.

17 minutes ago, Leif said:

All of us watching the youth games thought Musonda, Boga, Chalobah & Solanke would break through first. Evidently not.

They still can. Musonda most likely. I hope Boga too because I think he is brilliant. Just needs to consistently show it. Solanke is still only 18 and the jury is out on Chalobah.

15 minutes ago, Leif said:

I'm confused though (but it may just come down to their height differences) - why Aina and not Jay Dasilva? I don't have an above average understanding of football, but when I saw him play I was watching the best left-back I'd seen since Ashley Cole in his prime, youth or not. An article followed a few weeks or months later, tossing with the idea that he's a future Premier League great, which i totally agreed with - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2539708-chelseas-jay-dasilva-has-potential-to-be-1-of-premier-leagues-great-left-backs

So he obviously made an impression on some people. Nobody has ever been speaking of Aina after youth games.

Yes, I think the fact that Aina is more physically developed, versatile and was already listed as a first team squad player helps. He also signed a new contract so you would think the club want to give him assurances about him being involved in the first team. Jay I like very much but because he is do diminutive, I guess there are reservations about putting him in the deep end. But yeah, I thought he might of travelled with the first team.

TBH, Aina I have always been a fan of but he does not really get noticed the way someone like Jay does when they perform in the youth teams. Maybe it is because Jay is so small and people can make direct comparisons with Ashley Cole but right now I do believe Ola Aina is more suited to the first team than Jay is.

23 hours ago, mccg said:

Unless u know Ola personally u r just going on press,loads of clubs were sniffing around him from last year,but he didnt leave,and Cfc were in talks along time with him

So how the hell Chelsea let Ola become free agent ? Signing up your own youngster should be the easiest thing in the world. If he had good enough offers elsewhere in terms of money/guaranteed playing time he'd be gone.

What happened was that Chelsea released John Swift and Ola Aina, Swift went to the other club to develop his career. Aina probably thought he will get better offers than the ones he got so eventually resigned on more reasonable wages with more reasonable playing time demands.

And that's all that happened.

1 hour ago, Blue Colored Sky said:

If he had good enough offers elsewhere in terms of money/guaranteed playing time he'd be gone. Signing up your own youngster should be the easiest thing in the world.

Yeah easiest thing in world lol quite afew youngsters floating around SW6, back in June this list was released 

CONTRACT PLAYERS
Abraham, Tammy
Aina, Temitayo Olufisayo Olaoluwa (Offer)
Ake, Nathan Benjamin
Ali, Mukhtar Abdullahi
Angban, Bekanty Victorien
Azpilicueta Tanco, Cesar
Baba, Abdul Rahman
Baker, Lewis Renard
Bamford, Patrick James
Beeney, Mitchell Ryan
Begovic, Asmir
Blackman, Jamal Clint-Ross
Boga, Jeremie
Borges da Silva, Willian
Brown, Isiah Jay
Cahill, Gary James
Chalobah, Nathaniel Nyakie
Christensen, Andreas Bodtker
Christie-Davies, Isaac David
Clarke-Salter, Jake-Liam
Colkett, Charlie
Collins, Bradley Ray
Conroy, Dion John
Courtois, Thibaut
Cuadrado Bello, Juan Guillermo
Cuevas Jara, Cristian Alejandro
Da Silva Costa, Diego
Dabo, Sheik Mohamed Fankaty
Dasilva, Jay Rhys
Davey, Alex James
De Souza, Nathan Allan
Delac, Matej
Djilobodji, El Hadji Papy Mison
Dos Santos Emboaba, Oscar
Fabregas Soler, Francesc
Feruz, Islam
Grant, Joshua
Hazard, Eden
Hector, Michael Anthony James
Houghton, Jordan
Ivanovic, Branislav
Kalas, Tomas
Kane, Todd Arthur Lucien
Kiwomya, Andrew Alexander (Offer)
Loftus Cheek, Ruben
Maddox, Jacob
Marin, Marko
Matic, Nemanja
Miazga, Matthew
Mikel, John Obi
Mitchell, Reece Steven (Offer)
Moses, Victor
Mount, Mason
Muheim, Miro Max Maria
Musonda, Charles
Nunes Nascimento, Robert Kenedy
Oliveira Dos Santos, Wallace
Omeruo, Kenneth
Palmer, Kasey Remel
Pantic, Danilo
Pasalic, Mario
Perica, Stipe
Piazon, Lucas Domingues
Quintero Quintero, Josimar Aldair
Remy, Loic
Rodriguez Gonzalez, Jhoao Leandro
Rodriguez Ledesma, Pedro Eliezer
Salah, Mohamed
Sammut, Ruben
Scott, Kyle
Solanke-Mitchell, Dominic Ayodele
Suljic, Ali
Swift, John David (Offer)
Terry, John George (Offer)
Thompson, Jared
Tomori, Fikayo
Traore, Bertrand
Twasam, Christian Atsu
Ugbo, Ike
Van Ginkel, Wulfert Cornelius
Wakefield, Charlie Mark
Zouma, Kurt Happy

Scholars 
Baxter, Nathan
Chalobah, Trevoh Tom
Colley, Joseph
Dasilva, Cole Perry
Hinckson-Mars, Malakai Daylan
McCormick, Luke
Nartey, Richard Nicos Tettey
St Clair, Harvey

9 hours ago, Leif said:

Jay just turned 18 a few months back, Aina is 20 in a month or two. Aina has always been a solid dependable youth player, and I guess that's what Conte likes about him. Also probably that he can mold Aina into a great utility player because of his versatility. 

57 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

Don't think he was nearly as bad yesterday as some were making out.

Will need to be tested in competitive matches, but he seems reliable enough to be a backup fullback for us.

He did a good match apart from his weird dribbling which led to a stupid goal

Just as I said last season, I am definitely in favour of throwing him in this season as opposed to buying elsewhere. None of the alternatives seem compelling.

Azpilicueta is better on the left flank anyway. He's crap going forward on both sides.

IMO doesn't look convincing. He still has lapses in concentration and omg it will cost us a lot I tell you right now. On positive note, he is good at dealing with crosses in the box when he acts as a third CB.

He can be good cover for all the backline positions. I beg for proper left-back still.

19 minutes ago, Blue Colored Sky said:

IMO doesn't look convincing. He still has lapses in concentration and omg it will cost us a lot I tell you right now. On positive note, he is good at dealing with crosses in the box when he acts as a third CB.

He can be good cover for all the backline positions. I beg for proper left-back still.

Deffo ,but look at others who r older and experienced and still make schoolboy errors ffs ! Also he is predominantly right footed but yeah the need for a wc left back is now 2nd priority behind Cb unless Conte plays 3 Cb's at the back , and uses Kennedy out on the left .

56 minutes ago, Blue Colored Sky said:

You gotta trust em some time. The way I figure it, we might as well do it while we have no international football. Don't forget, he looks (at his worst) no worse than Ivanovic, and when Zouma returns the whole defence will look more stable.

If we keep Kenedy knocking around then we can always rotate the two depending on the match situation.

He was very very bad in the first 20-30 minutes yesterday, got a bit better as the game went on but overall a very poor showing. He's still shown enough to be kept around as cover but he'll get destroyed if he's thrown in as first choice. Need to take small steps with him, he's still very young. 

We definitely need to sign at least one more fullback, right or left, because Aina isn't ready to start and Ivanovic should never start. With Baba leaving, I'd reckon a fullback is a higher priority than CB now.