UCL qualification - permutations and combinations

BlueLion.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First I have to admit that I have not read the regulations so I'm basing this comment on my knowledge of NFL tiebreakers, which uefa's version is modelled on after all. Jason may therefore be absolutely right, and my point might be nonsense but...

In the NFL, the three-team tiebreakers are applied only untill one team advances or is eliminated. The rankings of the two remaining clubs are then reconsidered using the two-team tiebreakers. In that method a draw at The Bridge and a home win in Kiev would eliminate us, as Blue Lion originally said, since the head to head between Porto and ourselves would favour them.

Given that uefa introduced this method because they felt it was fairer, and that they borrowed it from the NFL, it must be at least possible, if not probable, that their Champions League regulations run along the same lines. Just to restate though, I'm being lazy and have not read the rules so Jay could very well be right.

7EUXFED.png

And Porto have never won on English Soil In the Champions League..

You just know how that's gonna turn out :sweating::sweating:

Try to think positive mate, as much as it costs you to do it, the team will need all of our support and posite vibe during these next weeks :) Cheers and keep the good faith. KTBFFH

Discussion point:

Is finishing third, and therefore dropping into the Europa League, our best hope of qualifying for next season's Champions League?

Nope.

You can't risk your season on the assumption that you will win a European competition, as it depends on a lot of factors, which makes our decision on 2012 pretty unreasonable, yes extremely lucky, and turned out pretty euphoric, still unreasonable. The way we threw away the Newcastle game at home ( Papiss' screamer ) was a joke btw.

And don't even get me started on the FSW who took a team 3rd in the league within 4 points of the leaders and made it 20 points by the time United lifted the trophy, just to focus on a not-that-important Europa League trophy and most of all on the FA Cup, where we would get knocked out in the semi-final, playing extra games and winning fuck all from the competition in the end.

Fuck I just remembered why i hate that wanker.

I'm not shitting on the Europa League, I really celebrated it hard, but those 2 years were awful decision making, pathetic.

Mourinho came back to ensure we don't find ourselves in those positions again to begin with, we do now, so he should take the right decisions, and that would be get back to the top 4 in the league as soon as possible.

So yeah, you should always favour the league, as your final result is made on the basis of your record after 38 games, and not a couple of unfair penaltys in a semi-final knockout, except if you don't have much to hope from the league anymore, and we can't say that about ourselves, with only 1/3 of the season played.

At this moment it might look like our best hope, but a couple of home wins and a draw at WHL and we would be within acceptable distance of top 4.

does that eliminate Porto.....and then revert to h2h between us and Kiev putting us top?

This.

@Rhino's Skin, Nop, If we draw and Dynamo win, they go first, because they have the best Goal difference in the 3 teams mini league. If we draw and Dynamo fail to win, there is only us and Porto with 11 points, Porto go first as they beat us in head to head ( 2-1 in Porto and an aventual draw in SB ).