What would it take to turn the season around?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather not, we're having enough trouble to score a goal as it is right now.

But you are aware of the fact that he is the only player in our squad who is giving everything in every match we've played so far? We need more of these types of players to "get goals" as you've pointed out...

You could add Begovic to that "small list" to be fair, considering some of his saves have made our games a little "less" embarrassing...

We are currently 15th on the table, what is the most realistic position that you guys think we would/could/should end up/aim for at the end of season ?

Champions league football, top 4.

1. What formation or tactics do you think we should adopt going forward?

4-3-3. In order to get the best out of Fabregas without comprimising our defensive midfield. In the current 4-2-3-1 it's always a choice between sticking Fabregas in a 2 man midfield, comprimising our defensive midfield but maximizing his ability to influence our buildup play or sticking him in the nr 10 position which limits his ability to influence our build up play but keeps our defensive midfield solid.

2. What do you think should be our priority going forward?

An identity. A clear direction to where we want to go with this club. What type of football do we want to play ? After that's decided go out and only hire managers that play that type of football.

3. What position do you want to see Chelsea be at the end of season?

Top 4.

4. January transfer window (who should we buy, how will they fit in the grand scheme of things)?

Left back, an allround (hard working, technical) midfielder that can complement a Matic- Fabregas midfield, ball playing centre back.

5. Who should play, who shouldn't?

Begovic

Azpi Cahill Zouma Baba

Matic

RLC Fabregas

Willian Hazard

Costa

6. What kind of tactics do you think will get us out of this slump?

Given the situation we're in atm i'd say go defensive. Compact 4-3-3 but i'd try and help our attack by allowing our fullbacks to push up high when we have the ball.

While we need to stop conceding we also need to start scoring more goals from open play. Adding attacking fullbacks would freshen up our attack and maybe catch some teams offguard.

As a bonus, how did we go from Premier league to staying clear of relegation ? (quiet frankly I knew we weren't good enough to defend title the way we played last season, but this?)

Pfff... honestly i don't think anyone expected this. I mean i was one of the people that "moaned" about our negative approach in big games and our negative playing style we adopted last season (second half of the season ofcourse) but i never imagined it would get this bad. Looking back (hindsight is a wonderful thing) i feel the problems started last season when the team suddenly had a massive dip in form. Instead of looking for the root of the problem(s) we just put a bandage on it (the bandage being us playing more pragmatic). We let it fester and now we're in this nightmare which just seems to be getting worse and worse by every passing game.

But you are aware of the fact that he is the only player in our squad who is giving everything in every match we've played so far? We need more of these types of players to "get goals" as you've pointed out...

You could add Begovic to that "small list" to be fair, considering some of his saves have made our games a little "less" embarrassing...

What we need is Hazard, Costa etc back in form. If we had a Willian on each wing I doubt it'd make a difference, we still wouldn't be able to score a goal. If we can't get Hazard back in form we won't win games imo. As good as Willian is playing he isn't as creative as Hazard or Fabregas (at his best).

Our biggest issue is not playing with real fullbacks imo, we don't have any width, our fullbacks don't go forward and when they do they fuck up. We would look much better going forward if we actually used our fullbacks, atm we just count on our 4 attackers to do everything by themselves.

Some would say that sacking Mourinho would solve all of our problems but I think an interim manager would just exacerbate things - we just need a couple of squad changes and some discipline and we will come around.

Example in hand, we could have put 4 past both Kiev and WHU.

So I don't think the situation is that dire really, albeit frustrating, but the next 3 games are must win and I think we will.

Sacking Mou doesn't solve all the problem but it removes a toxic element.

So to answer your question OP what you want cannot happen without doing the one that you want to eliminate.

However, let's ignore that and assume that Jose can transform into an egoless blank slate.

1. Silverware top 4 etc should not be the focus going forward. Doesn't mean you take those things lightly but they should not be valued over developing progression for the long term. Yes missing out on the CL will be a big blow but we already know that.

2. Determine the play style and Identity of Chelsea football. What style and formation does Chelsea want to play. 4-3-3 with Dutch total footballing style of the seventies? Or something else.

3. Youth integration via meritocracy - To develop depth and talent you need to get them games and not run to the transfer window every time there is a hole. We still don't know how good some of the youth talent is because they never get a good run of games. If a first team player stinks up the joint don't be afraid to play a youth team player. The team is already stinking up the joint why not play a young talent to see if they have a future and if they play well keep playing them.

Those are good to start but there are a lot more specifically tied into transfer strategies

We are currently 15th on the table, what is the most realistic position that you guys think we would/could/should end up/aim for at the end of season ?

Champions league football, top 4.

1. What formation or tactics do you think we should adopt going forward?

4-3-3. In order to get the best out of Fabregas without comprimising our defensive midfield. In the current 4-2-3-1 it's always a choice between sticking Fabregas in a 2 man midfield, comprimising our defensive midfield but maximizing his ability to influence our buildup play or sticking him in the nr 10 position which limits his ability to influence our build up play but keeps our defensive midfield solid.

2. What do you think should be our priority going forward?

An identity. A clear direction to where we want to go with this club. What type of football do we want to play ? After that's decided go out and only hire managers that play that type of football.

3. What position do you want to see Chelsea be at the end of season?

Top 4.

4. January transfer window (who should we buy, how will they fit in the grand scheme of things)?

Left back, an allround (hard working, technical) midfielder that can complement a Matic- Fabregas midfield, ball playing centre back.

5. Who should play, who shouldn't?

Begovic

Azpi Cahill Zouma Baba

Matic

RLC Fabregas

Willian Hazard

Costa

6. What kind of tactics do you think will get us out of this slump?

Given the situation we're in atm i'd say go defensive. Compact 4-3-3 but i'd try and help our attack by allowing our fullbacks to push up high when we have the ball.

While we need to stop conceding we also need to start scoring more goals from open play. Adding attacking fullbacks would freshen up our attack and maybe catch some teams offguard.

As a bonus, how did we go from Premier league to staying clear of relegation ? (quiet frankly I knew we weren't good enough to defend title the way we played last season, but this?)

Pfff... honestly i don't think anyone expected this. I mean i was one of the people that "moaned" about our negative approach in big games and our negative playing style we adopted last season (second half of the season ofcourse) but i never imagined it would get this bad. Looking back (hindsight is a wonderful thing) i feel the problems started last season when the team suddenly had a massive dip in form. Instead of looking for the root of the problem(s) we just put a bandage on it (the bandage being us playing more pragmatic). We let it fester and now we're in this nightmare which just seems to be getting worse and worse by every passing game.

This pretty much how I feel, good post. I posted it before, but I like quick aggressive football like Fergie and Wenger employed back in the day of 4-4-2. I don't know if it is possible this season but hopefully in the future it will be.

Sacking Mou doesn't solve all the problem but it removes a toxic element.

So to answer your question OP what you want cannot happen without doing the one that you want to eliminate.

However, let's ignore that and assume that Jose can transform into an egoless blank slate.

1. Silverware top 4 etc should not be the focus going forward. Doesn't mean you take those things lightly but they should not be valued over developing progression for the long term. Yes missing out on the CL will be a big blow but we already know that.

2. Determine the play style and Identity of Chelsea football. What style and formation does Chelsea want to play. 4-3-3 with Dutch total footballing style of the seventies? Or something else.

3. Youth integration via meritocracy - To develop depth and talent you need to get them games and not run to the transfer window every time there is a hole. We still don't know how good some of the youth talent is because they never get a good run of games. If a first team player stinks up the joint don't be afraid to play a youth team player. The team is already stinking up the joint why not play a young talent to see if they have a future and if they play well keep playing them.

Those are good to start but there are a lot more specifically tied into transfer strategies

3a012bf4a72a2b1034917b820b8867ac.jpg

And I mean that. Great post tbh.

There is nothing anyone can do per se. All our best (paid) players are losing it. I am behind Mou here. Last season hazard dropping form alone would drag the team down. Now we have Ivanovic, Terry, Hazard and fabregas playing the worst football of their careers. Matic and Costa are also in terrible form. There is no tactical fix for this.

On a positive note;

I wouldnt be surprised if we went to win CL by the look of how things stand.

There is absolutely no pressure on us because we would never be favourites to win games. We are out of every other competition (bar Fa cup) so we can focus 100% on CL games and IF Mou and players are actualy happy together and not in big rift, then its only matter of time before we bounce back somehow. Never underestimate Mou in big games either. Finaly, winning CL should be enough motivation for these players on its own, and they shown last season they can win titles.

Would be nuts if something like this happend, but it would be typical Chelsea.