Rate the players - 2015/16

BlueLion.

Time for some honest player evaluation.

Yes, we can point the finger here, there, and everywhere, but the fact is that it is those eleven blokes out on the pitch who are ultimately responsible for performances and results.

Simply copy and paste the squad list below (N.B. I have only included those players who have made a minimum of three appearances) and give the players a rating out of 10, followed by a brief explanation:

Goalkeepers
1. Asmir Begovic
13. Thibaut Courtois
Defenders
2. Branislav Ivanovic
5. Kurt Zouma
6. Abdul Baba Rahman
24. Gary Cahill
26. John Terry
28. Cesar Azpilicueta
Midfielders
4. Cesc Fabregas
7. Ramires
8. Oscar
10. Eden Hazard
12. John Mikel Obi
16. Kenedy
17. Pedro
21. Nemanja Matic
22. Willian
36. Ruben Loftus-Cheek
Forwards
9. Radamel Falcao
18. Loic Remy
19. Diego Costa

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really tough to judge when almost everyone has been so bad. Only worth praising 3 players:

Azpilicueta - 9 (mr consistency and an unsung hero of the team)

Begovic - 7.5 (without him, some of our results could have been a lot worse)

Willian - 7 (doesn't boast a lot of quality but he's done well so far this season, stepping up when others have been woeful. his free kicks have been pretty good)

The rest...well, the less said the better. One fella definitely deserves 1/10 (to put it kindly) and no prizes for guessing that player.

Goalkeepers

1. Asmir Begovic 8

13. Thibaut Courtois Didn't play enough

Defenders

2. Branislav Ivanovic 4

5. Kurt Zouma 6

6. Abdul Baba Rahman 5

24. Gary Cahill 6

26. John Terry 6

28. Cesar Azpilicueta 7

Midfielders

4. Cesc Fabregas 5

7. Ramires 5

8. Oscar 4

10. Eden Hazard 3

12. John Mikel Obi 6

16. Kenedy 6

17. Pedro 6

21. Nemanja Matic 5

22. Willian 8

36. Ruben Loftus-Cheek 6

Forwards

9. Radamel Falcao 1

18. Loic Remy Didn't play enough

19. Diego Costa 5

Goalkeepers

1. Asmir Begovic - has been brilliant. must be feeling sick that he left a good strong mid table side for relegation material. 8

13. Thibaut Courtois - cost us the swansea game. 5

Defenders

2. Branislav Ivanovic - worst PL player of the season 0

5. Kurt Zouma - has been decent. still needs a lot of positional sense. will get it with experience. one for the future. 6

6. Abdul Baba Rahman - has looked shaky in defence. but in his 3 games, he has been okay-ish. had a shocker in the first half against villa but came back really well. 5

24. Gary Cahill - has not done much wrong. if he is not covering for iva, then he is covering for zouma. our CBs have had any protection at all. 7

26. John Terry - poor. he has regressed massively. his fluffed clearance almost cost us against kieve and his fluffed clearance DID cost us against WHU. he was shit against WBA, city. 4

28. Cesar Azpilicueta - defender of the season. no doubt about it. puts in his 100%. if only we could clone him. 8

Midfielders

4. Cesc Fabregas - shit. shit. and some more shit. i said it at the time of buying him, he is the most over-rated footballer on this planet. cant defend, cant attack unless he is given a minimum of 5 seconds on the ball. even the slightest pressing and he is taken out of the game. hopeless. 1

7. Ramires - defensively has provided us some stability but his poor passing means we have to work doubly hard to win the "won ball which now he has lost" back. 6

8. Oscar - started well and then got injured. apparently the only reason we won against tel aviv and walsall was cos oscar played. after that has been as poor as the others. i would still take him over the fraud. 4

10. Eden Hazard - one of the worst performers on the pitch. has lost all confidence he ever had. cant take a player on if his life depended on it. 3

12. John Mikel Obi - had a good game against walsall (if i remember correctly). was poor against everton and then had a good match against WHU. has not got any more chances. probably should replace matic for the foreseeable future. 6

16. Kenedy - has looked promising. infact has looked better than hazard and pedro combined. but obviously he is not getting any playtime unless its a meaningless game. 6

17. Pedro - shit. has not looked at all comfortable. 4

21. Nemanja Matic - he keeps blowing hot and cold. he had brilliant performances against city, palace and everton, and then simply got lost for newcstle and soton and porto. came back strongely agaisnt villa and kiev and then again had a shocker against WHU. no idea whats going on with him. 4

22. Willian - player of the season without a shred of doubt. anything and everything positive we have done this season has been from him. 9

36. Ruben Loftus-Cheek - just like kenedy, has looked promising. he was built up so much before the villa game just to give the fans something to think on "a youngster is actually going to be a starter for us" and then BAM... 45 minutes in 3 games while cesc keeps starting. on RLC, he provided us the moment of the season. 6

Forwards

9. Radamel Falcao - torre2.0. i did not agree at the time he was bought. infact i thught this might just be a success. but like everything else this season, he has been shite. 4

18. Loic Remy - poor. has not got much time to prove anything but in the time he did get, he was poor. 5

19. Diego Costa - shit. the 2nd best striker in the world has not even looked the top 3 striker in london. his link up play and hold up play are shit. his aerial presence is non-existent. the fact that WHU defenders provided him with ample space and time told us how much they felt "threatened" by him. they probably did not want to get elbowed, scratched or boxed though. he continues doing his "fakes" in the box. but the only person he fools by his brilliant "fakes" is himself. the defenders actually have enough time to take a yawn and put in a tackle between the time he does his thing. has looked fat, unfot and a shadow of the player we had bought from ATM. 3

lastly, JOSE - horrendous. egoistic, stubborn, arrogant. everything negative towards the club stems from him. not dropping cesc and iva after the city game was a massive mistake. i said it at that time and will continue to say this. i was gutted when i saw the line up against WBA. that was the moment to make a statement. give the players something to think about. but he apparently took a lets "wait and see" approach. tactically, we have looked shit. defensively we have been ripped apart and in attack we have been toothless. his persistence with cesc and iva has cost us massively. the EVA-gate, blaming the refs antics have been embarassing. he honestly needs a break. as much for us as for himself. but he definitely needs a break. 0

Goalkeepers

1. Asmir Begovic -7- Good keeper, saved us a couple of times but feel a lot more confident with Courtois in the goal.

13. Thibaut Courtois x

Defenders

2. Branislav Ivanovic -3- Definitely our worst player.

5. Kurt Zouma -6- Solid defending, a lot of promise though he still seems erratic at times

6. Abdul Baba Rahman -5- Also very erratic, isn't afraid of going forward, didn't get enough chances

24. Gary Cahill -6.5- Reasonably good performances.

26. John Terry -5- Slow, not the Terry of last season

28. Cesar Azpilicueta -8- Our best defender, confident and a good fighting spirit.

Midfielders

4. Cesc Fabregas -6- Not as good as first half last season, still has his qualities though he is very slow

7. Ramires -6.5- Better than last season, fighting spirit and the occasional flash goal.

8. Oscar -5- Know he's talented but don't know how , bit vague I know but so is Oscar.

10. Eden Hazard -5.5- Slump, no confidence, not enough willpower, though i still got THAT feeling when he is on the ball.

12. John Mikel Obi x Didn't really notice him.

16. Kenedy -6- A lot of promise, didn't get enough chances.

17. Pedro -5.5- Had a good start, dissapointing afterwards.

21. Nemanja Matic -5- Is this the same Matic?

22. Willian -8.5- Without a doubt our best player atm.

36. Ruben Loftus-Cheek -6.5- Promising young player, has shown that he is able, has to get more chances.

Forwards

9. Radamel Falcao -5- Not that different from ManU Falcao, didnt get a lot of chances though

18. Loic Remy -5

19. Diego Costa -6- Has to concentrate more on scoring goals.

Goalkeepers

1. Asmir Begovic 7/10

13. Thibaut Courtois 3/10

Defenders

2. Branislav Ivanovic 1/10

5. Kurt Zouma 4/10

6. Abdul Baba Rahman 3/10

24. Gary Cahill 7/10

26. John Terry 6/10

28. Cesar Azpilicueta 7/10

Midfielders

4. Cesc Fabregas 2/10

7. Ramires 2/10

8. Oscar 5/10

10. Eden Hazard 3/10

12. John Mikel Obi 4/10

16. Kenedy 5/10

17. Pedro 5/10

21. Nemanja Matic 2/10

22. Willian 7/10

36. Ruben Loftus-Cheek 4/10

Forwards

9. Radamel Falcao 1/10

18. Loic Remy 1/10

19. Diego Costa 2/10

For my ratings, 5 is the absolute minimum I expect from that particular player. That is their average, anything less is unacceptable. If a player isn't performing to a level I expect from them; they will receive harsh ratings. Oscar while being one of Chelsea's better players hasn't done anything that I don't expect from him, hence the 5.

Goalkeepers

1. Asmir Begovic - 7
13. Thibaut Courtois - dunno

Defenders

2. Branislav Ivanovic - 1
5. Kurt Zouma - 5
6. Abdul Baba Rahman - 3
24. Gary Cahill - 5
26. John Terry - 4
28. Cesar Azpilicueta - 7

Midfielders

4. Cesc Fabregas - 2
7. Ramires - 5
8. Oscar - 3
10. Eden Hazard - 3
12. John Mikel Obi - hasn't played enough to evaluate properly
16. Kenedy - hasn't played enough
17. Pedro - 4
21. Nemanja Matic - 3
22. Willian - 8
36. Ruben Loftus-Cheek - 6

Forwards

9. Radamel Falcao - 2
18. Loic Remy - 2
19. Diego Costa - 5

The 2 keepers & Dave would score between 5 & 7, only Willian as has already been rightly pointed out would score above a 7 which says everything about our performances that one player in the whole squad is playing to his abilities.

The rest of the squad I'd score 3 or less & that should include Jose & the board who seem to have escaped most of the shit flying around cus the manager is always the number 1 target when things start to go pear shaped, they need to be held responsible too.

Goalkeepers

1. Asmir Begovic - 7

13. Thibaut Courtois - 7

Defenders

2. Branislav Ivanovic - 1

5. Kurt Zouma - 6.5

6. Abdul Baba Rahman - 5.5

24. Gary Cahill - 6

26. John Terry - 5

28. Cesar Azpilicueta -7.5

Midfielders

4. Cesc Fabregas - 4

7. Ramires -6.5

8. Oscar - 5.5

10. Eden Hazard - 4

12. John Mikel Obi -6

16. Kenedy -6.5

17. Pedro - 5.5

21. Nemanja Matic - 4.5

22. Willian - 8

36. Ruben Loftus-Cheek - 7

Forwards

9. Radamel Falcao - 5

18. Loic Remy - 5

19. Diego Costa - 5.5

Rated on how they've done in the minutes they've been given.

Goalkeepers

1. Asmir Begovic 7/10

13. Thibaut Courtois 3/10

Defenders

2. Branislav Ivanovic 1/10

5. Kurt Zouma 4/10

6. Abdul Baba Rahman 3/10

24. Gary Cahill 7/10

26. John Terry 6/10

28. Cesar Azpilicueta 7/10

Midfielders

4. Cesc Fabregas 2/10

7. Ramires 2/10

8. Oscar 5/10

10. Eden Hazard 3/10

12. John Mikel Obi 4/10

16. Kenedy 5/10

17. Pedro 5/10

21. Nemanja Matic 2/10

22. Willian 7/10

36. Ruben Loftus-Cheek 4/10

Forwards

9. Radamel Falcao 1/10

18. Loic Remy 1/10

19. Diego Costa 2/10

For my ratings, 5 is the absolute minimum I expect from that particular player. That is their average, anything less is unacceptable. If a player isn't performing to a level I expect from them; they will receive harsh ratings. Oscar while being one of Chelsea's better players hasn't done anything that I don't expect from him, hence the 5.

With the exception of RLC rating I pretty much agree with all the ratings. I think RLC has done as good as anybody in his short spells.

Begovic - 7/10

Courtois N/A

Zouma 5/10

Terry 5/10

Cahill 6/10

Ivanovic 2/10

Azpi 8/10

Baba 3/10

Aina N/A

Matic 3/10

Fabregas 4/10

Ramires 6/10

Mikel N/A

RLC 5/10

Oscar 4/10

Willian 9/10

Hazard 3/10

Kenedy 7/10

Pedro 4/10 (but I think he is carrying an injury)

Costa 6/10

Remy N/A

Falcao N/A