Stoke 1-1 Chelsea

Jase

Man of the Match  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

1st half was very good, 2nd half okay, ET terrible. Since we couldn't score for half an hour against a 10 men Stoke we didn't deserve to win on penalties.

Define 'very good'. I didn't watch the first half but have seen a lot of people say the same thing as you there. Any past performances you can use as reference?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define 'very good'. I didn't watch the first half but have seen a lot of people say the same thing as you there. Any past performances you can use as reference?

For me our two best performances this season were 1st half against Arsenal and 1st half last night against Stoke.

Very good in terms of overall attacking play, with a few clear cut chances chances created from open play, plenty of good passing and runs in behind their back line.. Improvement was definitely there to see, but it stopped in the second half and especially ET when we became shit again. Even defensively we were decent in the 1st half.

Pressing was good, aerial duels were mostly won I think, high energy level all over the pitch. Everyone looked in control of the ball (even Ramires), passing was positive and good, the players were moving intelligently causing Stoke all kinds of problems. Costa was particularly good, he wasn't fighting with the ball. In fact, he looked as in control as he ever will. Mikel was surprisingly good as well. Hazard and Willian were leading the troops.

The final pass was lacking though and you can't ignore that. But then again, creating clear-cut chances was always an issue. Ramires wasted a brilliant opportunity after a Baba through pass (Baba was offside when he received the ball but don't tell the conspiracy theorists). I have a hard time remembering another golden opportunity. The rest were more half chances.

Stoke was poor but you could argue Chelsea made them look weak. They created a great chance after some beautiful play right before half-time but I think they only slightly threatened at times before that.

In the first half it looked like the Chelsea of old.

Fast running, four or five good chances, we should have gone ahead really.

Not so in the second half, even before their goal - we were down physically.

In the ET some good chances again -against 10 men now- but again no penetration.

In the ET some good chances again -against 10 men now- but again no penetration.

that was pretty much how I saw it as well

The second half was definitely not so good. We didn't really create too much. Lacked penetration, which has been the story for some time. Our best chance of scoring these days is from a set piece. The last time we actually scored some good goals in game was against West Brom and that was in August!