The Mourinho Thread

On R 5 last night - ''I want to return to Chelsea one day, thats for sure''

Here are the highlights of that interview:

SPOONY: I'm used to calling the top man at a football club 'the manager', but you're head coach at Real Madrid. Do you like being a manager or do you prefer to be called coach?

MOURINHO: In my relationship with my players I had everything. I had the traditional Portuguese 'Mr', I had 'the guv', I had 'the boss', 'coach' and 'Jose'.

SPOONY: Which is your favourite?

MOURINHO:
You know, 'the guv' was the one I took. I think it was Damien Duff, the first one to call me that, and I took a few weeks to understand the dimension. What matters for me is that it remains forever. Even today Frank Lampard and John Terry call me 'boss' and I'm not the boss anymore.

SPOONY: When we see you on the touchline or in a press conference, it would very much appear that those things don't matter to you. But sitting here speaking to you now, you hold these things very dear and close to you.

MOURINHO:
These are the things that matter for me. I read a book from one of the most important coaches in the history of university sports,
(University of California, Los Angeles), and one of the things he says is that the most important thing in all of this is 'the man'. The human relation. The best coach is the one who puts in everything.

SPOONY: Is winning everything?

MOURINHO:
No, winning is not everything. But winning is more important than any one of us. Sometimes you have the feeling during the match that a player cannot improve, and you can read the situation - he didn't start well, but he has the conditions to finish well - but sometimes you feel immediately the team started bad, the players are bad, and you have to make some changes.

If the result goes completely against you, you have to take some decisions and some risks and everyone's afraid of that.

SPOONY: You hold Sir Alex Ferguson in very high regard?

Sir Alex on Mourinho in 2009

_62374616_fergiemourinho.jpg

"I got on very well with him at Chelsea and I think it was a loss to the game when he went. I actually enjoyed watching him on the television. I thought he was good. He was cocky and confident but it was good for the game. Right away he came in and said, 'I'm the Special One', and we all thought, 'Who is this?' and his team thought, 'We'd better win here'. He came to Chelsea and made that declaration himself. Don't forget he was self-anointed. People then sat up but his achievements are there to be recognised."

MOURINHO:
Of course. My first contact with him was not one to forget because
After the match he was knocking on our dressing room door with Gary Neville, and they wanted to congratulate our dressing room.

So that was a moment when I understood that when the win is deserved, you have to respect the winners and you have to know to enjoy a little bit the happiness of the others.

It happened with Bayern Munich last season when we (Real Madrid)
and at the end of the match it was not a drama for me.

I was also in their dressing room. I remember that day of Porto-Man United, and it was the start of my relationship with the greatest manager of British football.

SPOONY: Would you go back to Chelsea?

MOURINHO:
I will go where people really want me. But I have to repeat always this: I'm with Real Madrid, I very much want to be, I have a new contract, I'm not thinking about leaving.

The day I leave is when I want to go. But yes, I want to go back one day, that's for sure.

SPOONY: People always say Barcelona are the greatest club side that we've ever seen in this generation, yet Real Madrid won La Liga. You must be proud?

MOURINHO:
They didn't win, and they didn't win because they had a bad season, because sometimes big teams have a bad season where they lose points.

They had 91 points, and with 91 points you are the champion of every Liga. The point is, Real Madrid had 100 points. We beat every record in the league in Spain and so we won because we were tremendous, because we've had an incredible season.

SPOONY: What drives you? What keeps you so motivated?

MOURINHO:
The club above everything. When I go to a club, I wear the shirt, I feel the shirt like my first one or my last one, I feel the fans as part of myself, I create internal links with fans.

I become immediately one of them, and I feel that I am one of them with a privileged position to fight for the club and to try to bring to all of them happiness.

SPOONY: Is this what happens when there's a potential problem between yourself and an owner, in that they don't always see it from the fans' point of view?

MOURINHO:
You go through my career since day one until now and I've never had problems with clubs and owners.

At Chelsea, I didn't want to stay and let things go into a direction where we were all feeling it was not the best direction.

We felt that was the best decision, because in this moment we are friends. There are no problems between me and Roman (Abramovich, Chelsea owner).

Mourinho's trophy haul

Porto (2002-04):
Primera Liga (2003, 2004), Champions League (2004), Uefa Cup (2003), Portuguese Cup (2003), Portuguese Super Cup (2003).

Chelsea (2004-07):
Premier League (2005, 2006), FA Cup (2007), League Cup (2005, 2007), Community Shield (2005).

Inter (2008-10):
Serie A (2009, 2010), Champions League (2010), Coppa Italia (2010), Italian Super Cup (2008).

Real Madrid (2010 to date):
La Liga (2012), Copa del Rey (2011).

When people know me they understand that if sometimes I'm not an easy person to work with it's because I fight for my people, for the best conditions for the players and I fight for the club and I fight for the fans, and I become a fan.

SPOONY: Sir Bobby Robson is a national treasure in the UK and you were his right-hand man. How much did you learn from him?

MOURINHO:
I was lucky. I was lucky because he took me in when I was really young. I spent something like five years with Sir Bobby, and of course he was very important for me.

But again, if you ask me to say the most important things with Sir Bobby and why did I learn a lot, I keep the person. I forget everything about football and I keep the person.

SPOONY: You've signed a new contract until 2016 at Real Madrid, but the accusation in the past is that you're just about winning trophies, and not bothered about young players coming through. So what is your master plan for Real Madrid?

MOURINHO:
You know, first of all the challenge was to come here and to win, and to stop that domination of Barcelona in the Spanish league. We did it, and I could say 'job done', but we want not to win in an isolated way - we want to keep winning.

Real Madrid was the biggest club of the last century because of results, and we want Real Madrid to go in the same direction in the 21st century.

SPOONY: And just before I let you go, do you see yourself one day managing an international side? Would you manage an international side that wasn't Portugal?

MOURINHO:
In this moment I don't see it because it's a completely different kind of job. In the club we play 60 matches a season, in an international team we play maybe 10, so it's a job I don't want to have in this moment.

But it's a job that makes people full of pride, especially if you do it with your own country, and I will do it with Portugal because I think Portuguese people wouldn't understand if I do it with another country. I don't imagine myself in the World Cup playing against Portugal.

SPOONY: Managing England against Portugal in the semi-finals…

MOURINHO:
It would be dramatic…

don't want him back

Love Mourinho for what he did at the club.

Would I want him back? Maybe.

I just can't stand the media circus which follows him around, the controversies, fighting and negative press he seems to attract. Almost every week he comes out with something which makes the back pages of the paper. He was the tag tops dreams come true.

Every single season since he´s left Chelsea, he teases and gives hints at his return to england and his love for chelsea, which is sweet obviously. I am getting tired though, i am happy with RDM at the helm and i think it is time for now to forget about Mourinho, keep his fire and the memories alive is fine, but we can´t be that obsessed about him. We are History Makers, and not constantly reminisscing about the past, which was glorious but not flawless obviously.

Interesting to learn Essien was actually going elsewhere before Mourinho asked for him; presumably Arsenal. We know he's not even a shadow of what he once was but seeing a Chelsea player on loan at a direct rival for two years in a row would have been infuriating.

• 1 month later...

Anyone watch 'Revista De La Liga' tonight? Here's one of the stories that was talked about anyway:

http://www.skysports.com/tv_show/story/0,,12385_8290552,00.html

Anyway, they then went on to talk about Madrid not backing Jose anymore in his bid for more control of the club (one thing mentioned was his want for Courtois to come in and challenge for no.1 spot!). With these rumblings of José, perhaps, leaving Madrid at the end of the season, who thinks he'd make a comeback for us? Who says it's not José who Roman is really waiting for? I think it's quite possible...

Anyone watch 'Revista De La Liga' tonight? Here's one of the stories that was talked about anyway:

http://www.skysports...8290552,00.html

Anyway, they then went on to talk about Madrid not backing Jose anymore in his bid for more control of the club (one thing mentioned was his want for Courtois to come in and challenge for no.1 spot!). With these rumblings of José, perhaps, leaving Madrid at the end of the season, who thinks he'd make a comeback for us? Who says it's not José who Roman is really waiting for? I think it's quite possible...

more likely to go to Manure or Man City