The Mourinho Thread

That obviously goes without saying? But if you think that we'd be so defensively vulnerable if Torres had support from two more guys on the counter and if you think we simply can't risk that because Atletico are so dangerous going forward then bravo, because I don't. We're just going to have to agree to disagree on that one here.

OK.

Yes, decent, considering he was up there on his own. It might have been good or excellent if he had a couple of players that supported him when going forward on the counter.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Oscar has generally been good in Europe for us. This would've been a decent game for him to play in.

Good away to Steaua and Schalke, fairly anonymous away to PSG and got less than a minute against Galatasaray.

OK.

Well you're wrong if you think we don't have any sort of disadvantage because the away goal rule is clearly there for all to see. If you were an Atletico fan or rather yet, if we were at the Bridge in the first leg and we played out a 0-0 draw would you say that we have no advantage at all going to the Vicente Calderon with the away goal rule there? Of course you wouldn't.

No, but I'd have expected us to have got a goal at home to take to the away leg. That's the beauty of two-legged ties. At the moment it's half-time and we're level. Lamenting the shoulda, woulda, couldas of a goalless draw away to a top European team is the point at which I'd probably find something else to moan about.

You don't have to patronise me on that, can we not just debate as two intelligent Chelsea fans? I'll say it once again, I seriously don't think committing an extra two men going forward on the counter whilst the rest of the team remain deep would make us so vulnerable that Atletico would punish us. They aren't that great going forward when there's still that many men behind the ball. We'd have enough men to close off any spaces Atletico might attack whilst the rest of the team that went forward on the counter come back and recreate the shape we had started the game with. Simple.

I wasn't patronising you....well actually I was earlier with the timeout comment.

Here I was just repeating your own analysis back to you. But it's interesting you now just want to commit just a couple of guys forward and leave everyone else deep. That's a brilliant way to create holes for teams to exploit and was essentially the root of a lot of problems when we had Mata in the side and had a disconnect between attack and defence.

As a designed tactic it seems like a good way to lose a game.

Apparently say anything that doesn't remotely praise Mou on here and you're instantly seen as the enemy by some. You don't need to remind me of his achievements, we're not discussing his ability as a manager in the CL as a whole. Of course it's a difficult trophy to win, that's not the debate here at all, but to say he usually does well in the CL semi finals isn't correct. I'm not knocking Jose in any way, just stating the fact that he has lost five of his seven CL semi final ties. I'm not talking about winning CLs back to back, I'm talking about his CL semi finals record. That's not knocking him as a manager or knocking his CL record, it just is what it is. You can't try and spin it and say he's done well in CL semi finals because he hasn't.

It's how in the same way he's won every CL final he's been part of. That means he does well in CL finals. I don't know why you're trying to spin it into me saying something sinister or bad about Mourinho.

I'm not trying to spin anything. I think the comment you made was stupid enough without me having to apply context to it to make it patently obvious how absurd it was.

As for the victimisation point, give it a rest. You have a right to post what you want about Jose and so do I. I simply think there's a narrative being built where he's being criticised for his ability to get teams attacking when the truth is that he's not had the right resources at this point in time.

You're bitching about us getting a 0-0 draw in a Champions League semi-final. That's like a 10 year-old being taken on a spending spree at Hamleys and crying because they aren't allowed a Happy Meal on the way home.

It has now somehow conveyed into a unnecessary discussion between us both, you think that Mourinho's plan was 100% perfect and has given us a great advantage and no disadvantages, whilst I think that his plan was very good defensively, but that we could've played better on the counter, not as conservative - instead of sending just Torres and maybe Willian or Ramires forward, we could've sent one or two more because Atletico aren't good enough to punish us with the rest of our team sitting deep - if we leave back 6 men for a few seconds we really won't be as open as you're trying to portray we'd be - and that could've perhaps nicked us an away goal because I think Atletico are capable of grabbing an away goal at ours themselves. I think it's best we just leave the discussion where it is because it's spiralling into a needless, repetitive argument now.

Well that's a simplistic way of viewing my argument. Every gameplan has advantages or disadvantages - the best managers weigh up the risks associated with both and make a judgment call that tends to favour them. That's what Jose did, that's what Jose does and I think on the balance of things he got it about right although if he didn't and we lose the tie I'm sure you'll be amongst the first to point out his mistakes.

Of course because Real have those players at disposal they can play on the counter more comfortably, I mean they are obviously the best counter attacking team in the world, we on the other hand didn't even really attempt a true counter attack in the game though even though we are capable of it and have shown that we can be devastating i.e. against City

When we had Eden Hazard, Samuel Eto'o and Nemanja Matic available.

Well bushman or 'dumbman' as I will refer to you as we still have a chance. I would rather us challenge for the league then throw it away. Like I said the PL has shown anything is possible. What if we do win that game then go on to win the league. Or perhaps lose the game then see Liverpool and City drop points. We would regret playing a weakened team. I think it is possible that City drop points. Less possible than Liverpool however I still think they go to to go to Palace at 8pm on Monday night iirc. By that time they may be 2nd or 3rd if things go our way. Pressure hopefully will get to them.

I think you are the one who needs more maths lessons. If we have a chance of winning it that is mathmetically possible. Regardless of whether we have to rely on other teams it is mathemtically possible. Idiot.

Palace has proved to be difficult for many teams. City were outsocring most teams before. Now would you have predicted them to batter Sunderland? I would of but no. A team who was last in the league nearly got 3 points there. Until the last day anything is possible. I will always keep believing.

The question is what do we have a greater chance of winning? The CL is in our hands, the league isn't.

Does playing our starters for the Atletico game in the Liverpool game diminish our chances of getting a result on Wednesday? If the answer is maybe then why take the risk?

As for throwing away the league we already did that against Villa, Palace and Sunderland.

Well, for some in here, math has never been their favorite subject during their schooling, I read.

Of course, Chelsea has got a much better chance to win the CL than the PL. To rely on Citeh or Liverpool losses is just not very smart. Jose knows it, most of us know it & let Jose to field the B team on Sunday.

I don't believe his hands were tied at all, he had good options in Oscar and Schurrle who everyone knows are more than capable of effectively contributing to the defensive part of our game but could do something going forward.

You don't think his hands were tied 'at all' without his best and most dynamic player?. Because otherwise, Willian and Hazard would have started, with one of Lampard and Mikel dropping to the bench.

As for the options Mourinho had, Oscar has been terrible lately and doesn't deserve to play... but Schurrle i agree with like i said previously.

The truth of the matter is Mourinho can't risk any of his potential starters for the Champions league against Liverpool even if he wanted to.

The season is coming to a conclusion and players have a great number of mileage on the clock and anyone can pull up injured even with a minor knock, we are already short in numbers for Wednesday, The game which will define our season so the sensible thing to do is rest players for the Semi Final.

Get lost asshole!

Truth hurts doesnt it and btw I call it 'maths'.

I am happy you have done that. Lol.

Well when many members of the forum has maybe you should reflect on your attitude. It stinks and you have the nerve to tell other people to don't insult you. Do one you lunatic.

The question is what do we have a greater chance of winning? The CL is in our hands, the league isn't.

Does playing our starters for the Atletico game in the Liverpool game diminish our chances of getting a result on Wednesday? If the answer is maybe then why take the risk?

As for throwing away the league we already did that against Villa, Palace and Sunderland.

I see your point but Atletico are going to have to put two similar teams out against Valencia and Chelsea. We can rotate some but putting these youth players in defence I am not sure about. But I would rather we put our best into both. The CL is definitely more realistic but you know beating Liverpool and being only 2 points behind I will believe in both. I don't think we will win the league but I will hate the thought of Liverpool virtually winning the league against us. I don't really mind what midfield and attack he puts out as I am sure it will pose Liverpool a threat but only in defence I am worried about. Might be a risk but I would rather he played an experienced defence for pride sake and with the hope of winning the game. Can see both points of view but I would rather if we have to only play one out of Kalas, Ake and Christensen.

Can see both points of view but I would rather if we have to only play one out of Kalas, Ake and Christensen.

Christensen will probably play in the youth cup the next day (WHS reminded me that was coming up), Ake is probably third choice left-back which we might be down to if we rest Cole and Kalas is third choice right-back and probably fourth choice centre-back right now.

I'd rest Cahill entirely now. He's too important with JT being out and would probably be captain on Wednesday with Cech, JT and Lamps all missing.

Ivanovic has had a few days rest so could start both games, although I'd probably want him in central defence against Atletico with Luiz in midfield.

Luiz struggles with the rigours of midfield work, so I'd rest him completely on Sunday.

So if we start Azpi, Ivanovic, Cahill and Cole on Wednesday then I think it'd be pushing it to go with anything to different from Azpi, Ivanovic, Kalas and Ake on Sunday. But we'll see. Jose could go first-choice in both games - 3 games in 8 days is tough but not earth-shatteringly so.

I think it will be vital for Mourinho to strike the right balance for Sunday, I believe Ivanovic has to play Sunday in order to get accomodated to the centre back position for Wednesday A also think Ashley Cole needs to play in order to get further match practise.

My team would be:

Schwarzer

Azpi, Ivanovich, Kalas, Cole

Mikel, Matic, Lampard

Salah, Oscar

Ba

People say (usually the corporate media, such as Sky who have a vested interest in covering anything dodgy up) that the Premier league is beyond corruption. I am not so sure. We've seen it in Italy and South America, China, Korea. etc

One thing is for sure they would do anything and everything to cover it up as its worth billions in TV revenue, and if anything was proven however small they would do all in their power to make it a damage limitation excercise

I'd be genuinely surprised if cash was changing hands directly.

However the 'politics' at play in both the FA and the PMGOL, might result in people being 'guided' down a path of actions, for say, the betterment of their career. The gold mine of the Champions League awaits those who tow-the-line. A referee gets over £5000 for officiating a group stage game in the CL. So if you do 6 group games, that's well over £30grand on top of your salary. These CL and PL refs are earning well over £100'000 per year, and taking their assistants with them as well on the wealth creation journey.

If you can pick up a cheap copy of Mark Halsey's book, I recommend it. It lays out the political nature of 'professional' referees and politicking of the structure, the cliques and their lead mans style I.e. at that time and currently Mike Riley. Halsey slaughters Riley, accuses Poll of all sorts of stuff to ensure Poll remained the main man in refereeing at that time.

My own take on Jose saying he congratulated Riley on achieving his objective is not directly to do with us but more to do with Liverpool.