The Mourinho Thread

‘It is clear to everybody that Chelsea next year want to bring a striker,’ said Mourinho. ‘What’s the future for the others? The ones who are staying are competing with the striker we are bringing in.

SO, WHO WILL LEAVE STAMFORD BRIDGE?

Jose Mourinho warned his team to prepare for surgery in the summer after concluding that some simply do not have the personality to compete for the Barclays Premier League title. Who’s for the chop?

David Luiz
Hooked after 45 minutes in midfield on Saturday. Mourinho prefers others and knows he can bank more than £30m for the Brazilian. Barcelona and Bayern Munich are interested.

Fernando Torres
Not scored a Premier League goal since January. Chelsea would accept offers close to £20m. Inter Milan are interested, but do not value him so highly. Sky-high wages would be a problem too.

John Mikel Obi
Among those Mourinho claims will probably want to leave if they are not in the team. Inter also interested in him.

Demba Ba
Distant third among Mourinho’s three strikers this season. There won’t be a shortage of takers for a proven goalscorer.

Ashley Cole
Out injured and seems unlikely to be encouraged to stay. Mourinho has been using Cesar Azpilicueta at left back this season.

Samuel Eto’o
Eto’o fits the profile of those Mourinho accuses of not turning up for humdrum fixtures ... but can Jose afford to let ALL his strikers go?

Romelu Lukaku
Yet to be told where he stands but Mourinho is not keen on his style. Spurs head list of Premier League clubs queueing up to sign him.

I fully acknowledge that but it still doesn't change the fact that our biggest problem is creating quality chances against smaller teams. Yes, a competent striker would've helped us a lot but at the same time, when you select a midfield three of Luiz, Matic and Lampard and set up the team with a more conservative look you're going to struggle. A conservative look in games like these are not needed at all, you need to take the game to the opponent instead of being passive about it. I would've started Matic and Lampard in the pivot (which he has done in previous games against smaller sides, and we have performed a lot better in those games) whilst playing a proper number 10 in Willian or Oscar to give us more impetus in the final third. Lampard has never been good in a number 10 role because he naturally makes the shape of the team go into a 4-3-3.

Mourinho has always had an affinity for 433 against teams like Palace who play a 442 because it automatically gives us a man over in the midfield. The problem is that they put 10 men behind the ball and contracted the play so whilst you may have wanted us to have a number 10 one has to ask where the fuck did you want him to play?

If anything we lacked width in that game, but that happens when teams make the pitch small.

It's not like this is a one off game either, it's happened a lot against the smaller teams this season - and one of the biggest reasons is that Mourinho is too conservative in his look and gives the opponent too much respect. His refusal to play A. Cole and Azpi as our fullbacks in order to spread the play more with overlaps in order to create more runs and spaces for our more forward players is a big reason why we struggle to create quality chances against these sides. Hopefully he has acknowledged that, and hopefully he fixes it next season by bringing in the right players, but as of right now, there are certain players and certain methods of play he's not fully utilising.

Against West Ham who put out a similar tactic against us we created just shy of FORTY chances. But yes, the lack of Ashley Cole is the issue.

I never said we don't have a pattern to our attacking play... What I did say is that we don't have a pattern to our attacking play against teams that sit deep. We rely too much on the individual brilliance of Hazard in these games but you've got to set up your team better in these games so we can fully utilise the attacking potent of players like Oscar, Hazard, Willian (who has been under utilised going forward IMO) and Schurrle.

I think that's a complete nonsense. There's clear patterns of attacking play that simply weren't executed properly. First phase counter-attacks simply weren't executed with enough pace or precision. When they failed you saw Hazard actually come deeper and Azpi push on but the lack of movement from a number 9 (which creates space for someone like Schurrle to get in behind, see the Fulham game) simply wasn't there and ultimately Palace were extremely well drilled.

Like I've said all season, I admire most of the work Mourinho has done this season but my biggest (and only) gripe with him is the way he sets us up against the smaller teams, especially away from home. He has got to be more adventurous in these games.

Jose will always set up to not lose first which is perfectly fine but you need to be clinical when taking chances. We simply don't have a striker capable of that which is why it's remarkable we're where we are right now, but I don't think people need to randomly select attacking patterns as the issue.

My only criticism for him this season is that we approach smaller games in the wrong manner - I've said that all season.

Really? Smaller games or just the last game we played?

In games where we've dropped points we've generally created enough chances to win matches.

That's my main and only problem with Mourinho's approaches in these sort of games, the fact that we have struggled a lot this season to consistently churn out great chances against smaller teams instead of relying on a couple of individual pieces of magic... Surely you have to look at the way the team is set up if it's a recurring theme?

A recurring theme. Come on then, what matches are you talking about? West Ham at home where we created 39 chances and butchered clear goalscoring opportunities?

West Brom away where we were on our way to a 1-0 win until Victor Anichebe used his world-class pace and movement to get away from David Luiz?

Stoke away where we again created more than enough chances, scored two goals and ultimately lost due to a combination of mistakes from Cech and an over-committing of players in attack.

It's not a recurring theme. It's just a kneejerk reaction to a poor performance.

Mourinho has always had an affinity for 433 against teams like Palace who play a 442 because it automatically gives us a man over in the midfield. The problem is that they put 10 men behind the ball and contracted the play so whilst you may have wanted us to have a number 10 one has to ask where the fuck did you want him to play?

If anything we lacked width in that game, but that happens when teams make the pitch small.

We don't need to have a man over Crystal Palace in midfield, Matic - Luiz alone can take care of anything Crystal Palace throw at us from the centre of the pitch. You don't need a deep 3 man midfield against Crystal Palace.

A number 10 would've definitely helped us going forward in the final third... I'm not sure I even need to explain why. Even Mourinho acknowledged that by taking off Luiz at half time and bringing on Oscar.

Against West Ham who put out a similar tactic against us we created just shy of FORTY chances. But yes, the lack of Ashley Cole is the issue.

Difference is, you won't find me complaining about the West Ham game because we played well and created some good chances to win the game and the approach was right from the get go. What harmed us in the game is lack of clinicality - that is not the same problem we faced against Crystal Palace.

I think that's a complete nonsense. There's clear patterns of attacking play that simply weren't executed properly. First phase counter-attacks simply weren't executed with enough pace or precision. When they failed you saw Hazard actually come deeper and Azpi push on but the lack of movement from a number 9 (which creates space for someone like Schurrle to get in behind, see the Fulham game) simply wasn't there and ultimately Palace were extremely well drilled.

That's the thing - we shouldn't be focussing on counter attacking a team that is going to put 10 men behind the ball - that's nonsensical. We need to focus on keeping our better offensive players like Hazard up the pitch, creating spaces for them with off the ball runs from our full backs and our striker and other players around him - none of which happened because the approach we took was too conservative to begin with. We need to take more risks and kill these games off from the get go.

Hazard coming back to get the ball shouldn't happen either, he's our best player offensively so naturally you'd want him to stay in the final third most of the time. You don't want him coming back to get the ball - that should be the pivot and the number 10's (to an extent) job.

Jose will always set up to not lose first which is perfectly fine but you need to be clinical when taking chances. We simply don't have a striker capable of that which is why it's remarkable we're where we are right now, but I don't think people need to randomly select attacking patterns as the issue.

I've said this before but I'd definitely sacrifice a very little ounce of defensive solidity to make us far more threatening going forward. Yes, we don't have a great striker up there (especially when Torres plays) but in my opinion, simply giving the ball the Hazard and hoping he does something magical with it to unlock the defence when he's not even in the final third indicates that against smaller teams we don't have a clear attacking pattern. Often, there is no clear penetration or clever/designed runs off the ball going forward against these sort of teams and that to me indicates we aren't setting up for these sort of situations in the final third correctly.

Difference is, you won't find me complaining about the West Ham game because we played well and created some good chances to win the game and the approach was right from the get go. What harmed us in the game is lack of clinicality - that is not the same problem we faced against Crystal Palace.

But it's been a consistent problem throughout the season against smaller clubs apparently. Sounds like a kneejerk reaction.

We don't need to have a man over Crystal Palace in midfield, Matic - Luiz alone can take care of anything Crystal Palace throw at us from the centre of the pitch. You don't need a deep 3 man midfield against Crystal Palace.

A number 10 would've definitely helped us going forward in the final third... I'm not sure I even need to explain why. Even Mourinho acknowledged that by taking off Luiz at half time and bringing on Oscar.

So Jose wasn't attacking enough.....until he was in the second-half. And then we conceded - kneejerk reaction is that playing 4231 made us concede.

That's the thing - we shouldn't be focussing on counter attacking a team that is going to put 10 men behind the ball - that's nonsensical. We need to focus on keeping our better offensive players like Hazard up the pitch, creating spaces for them with off the ball runs from our full backs and our striker and other players around him - none of which happened because the approach we took was too conservative to begin with. We need to take more risks and kill these games off from the get go.

Hazard coming back to get the ball shouldn't happen either, he's our best player offensively so naturally you'd want him to stay in the final third most of the time. You don't want him coming back to get the ball - that should be the pivot and the number 10's (to an extent) job.

So a team sets up with 10 men behind the ball and we're not going to look to draw them out then hit them in transition? We should instead stick to the one-dimensional approach you describing?

It's amazing how many times this has happened this season and how many times you've had to point this out over the course of the season. It must be at least 2 or 3 times you've had to moan about this.

I've said this before but I'd definitely sacrifice a very little ounce of defensive solidity to make us far more threatening going forward.

Which is EXACTLY what Jose did in the second-half. You got what you wanted right down to a number 10 being introduced.

We conceded.

Yes, we don't have a great striker up there (especially when Torres plays) but in my opinion, simply giving the ball the Hazard and hoping he does something magical with it to unlock the defence when he's not even in the final third indicates that against smaller teams we don't have a clear attacking pattern.

Thank god that's not what we do. Ever.

Often, there is no clear penetration or clever/designed runs off the ball going forward against these sort of teams and that to me indicates we aren't setting up for these sort of situations in the final third correctly.

That's not true. But hey, let's agree to disagree because I think you're simply a little upset that we lost a game we were expected to win.

Really? Smaller games or just the last game we played?

In games where we've dropped points we've generally created enough chances to win matches.

So you're suggesting that our main problem isn't creating enough quality chances against smaller teams?

A recurring theme. Come on then, what matches are you talking about? West Ham at home where we created 39 chances and butchered clear goalscoring opportunities?

I've already addressed this in the post above; I didn't complain about the West Ham game as the approach was correct and the number of quality chances

West Brom away where we were on our way to a 1-0 win until Victor Anichebe used his world-class pace and movement to get away from David Luiz?

How many quality chances did we create against West Brom? We struggled in that game. The result was fair.

Stoke away where we again created more than enough chances, scored two goals and ultimately lost due to a combination of mistakes from Cech and an over-committing of players in attack.

Stoke away we lost due to stupid mistakes and us not being clinical, the match was ours until a stupid mistake from Eto'o. I didn't complain about the approach in that game because I would rather have my team go for it against Stoke when you've got 30 minutes to grab the winner, than to be satisfied with a draw, because let's be honest Stoke are a team we should be dispatching.

It's not a recurring theme. It's just a kneejerk reaction to a poor performance.

So you're genuinely telling me that we've played well in general against the smaller teams this season? I've said it all season long that I didn't like our approach in these sort of games, it isn't a knee jerk reaction to me at all.

How many quality chances did we create against West Brom? We struggled in that game. The result was fair.

How many did West Brom? ONE in the 87th minute until your boy went missing as usual.

So you're genuinely telling me that we've played well in general against the smaller teams this season? I've said it all season long that I didn't like our approach in these sort of games, it isn't a knee jerk reaction to me at all.

I'm saying we've done enough to get good results despite us lacking a quality striker. The approaches have been cautious but sensible when you actually look at what this team actually has.

The overreaction after the Palace game has been a fucking joke though with a few of the usual suspects (Henrique, Rubber Bullets) using it to have a pop at the manager and others desperately looking for deeper issues like our attacking patterns not being good enough.

And now we have threads asking if this season has been a success or a failure. It's a joke.

But it's been a consistent problem throughout the season against smaller clubs apparently. Sounds like a kneejerk reaction.

So you genuinely believe our problem this season hasn't been under performing against the smaller teams?

So Jose wasn't attacking enough.....until he was in the second-half. And then we conceded - kneejerk reaction is that playing 4231 made us concede.

That's what happens when you don't go at the opponent and allow them to settle into the game. Mourinho obviously agreed that we weren't attacking enough to begin with, which is why we made the change to a 4-2-3-1.

So a team sets up with 10 men behind the ball and we're not going to look to draw them out then hit them in transition? We should instead stick to the one-dimensional approach you describing?

Yes... We are going to draw a team that will be happy with a draw out when they've already decided we're getting majority of the ball. Let's try to counter attack a team that is more than happy not to have the ball for the rest of the game.

It's amazing how many times this has happened this season and how many times you've had to point this out over the course of the season. It must be at least 2 or 3 times you've had to moan about this.

So apparently we've been dispatching smaller teams with ease all season now?

That's not true. But hey, let's agree to disagree because I think you're simply a little upset that we lost a game we were expected to win.

I think it is best that we do as you clearly think we've played great in general against the smaller teams this year whilst I don't.

So you genuinely believe our problem this season hasn't been under performing against the smaller teams?

I think we've missed a striker all season who can score goals in games like this. Until we solve that we're always going to be lacking.

That's what happens when you don't go at the opponent and allow them to settle into the game. Mourinho obviously agreed that we weren't attacking enough to begin with, which is why we made the change to a 4-2-3-1.

Or you win 4-0 like we did against Spurs.

So apparently we've been dispatching smaller teams with ease all season now?

Are you expecting us to beat small teams with ease now? There are no small teams, there are no easy games - again the David Luiz mentality rears it's head.

It's 21 shots not 21 chances. Big difference. Maybe 2 chances created - Schurrle (counter) and Hazard's chance that's all. The team looked lost in attack - trying long balls very often

Ok shots / chances - then it's the players fault? Why are they taking unrealistic shots? Or did Mourinho tell them to do that too?

Look - Mourinho makes mistakes, all humans do - I'm not saying he is infallible.

He's working with the players he has - and they simply aren't good enough to 'do if on a warm afternoon in crystal palace'

I don't know why that is - it pisses me off considerably, but I know it pisses Mourinho off more!

So that's why I'm expecting CL qualification, summer re-org and title champions next season.

Anybody critical of Mourinho - answer me this...

If we had Suarez up front - would Palace have beaten us?

The answer as we all know - is 'No'

There's the issue a massive lack of a striker. Occam's razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.... ;)

Not aimed at you Strike, and apologies to The Skipper if you felt I was being personal - I'm not, just stating my opinion :) I just hope, come next season I am right. Feel free to quote me if not - and I will apologise.

It doesn't matter if you put your best team out, you don't win if you don't have the right tactic. No one is questioning Jose's play selection or sub, all of that are fine but rather the TACTIC THAT HE IMPLEMENTED. And for the bold bit isn't that for all the teams?

You could win the league in an ugly way, it been proven before by Jose himself. I think the reason Dave is playing LB started after that Cole party scandal in Dec, Jose doesn't have anyone else to rely on so he just started to drop Cole to make a point(which is fine for me).

Mou made the Cole-Azpi change in November vs Schalke, 10 games and nearly 2 months later Cole went to the Gooner party.

So what point was he trying to make exactly?

I completely understand what Jose has been saying about mentality and all. I do NOT understand who the fuck he is talking about though. Because I look around us, and specially ahead of us, and don't find the qualities he's speaking of.

All I see is extremely technical players in City... like Silva, Nasri. Fernandinho's first season... Demichelis (8m bargain buy)? Yaya who's actually known to lack concentration. The cool Dzeko.

Or Liverpool with diminutive players (Coutinho, Allen) who value pace and keeping the football, not to mention employing two strikers and no holding mid. Talking about no holding mid and there is Arsenal.

While I completely understand a head coach must seek balance (mental, technique, and physical), I'm getting worried... I mean Lee Cattermole and Andy Carrol would be available at the right price. :)

You know, perhaps our players are not good enough?! Or we don't have enough good players on the squad? Yes, I know we don't have strikers, but our defense line is comprised of 4 players who play twice a week. Any surprise 33yo Terry scored an own goal - beautifully struck btw. Or that Azpi has finally shown signs of fatigue? Not to me.

Or maybe it's all just Mourinho playing mind games not only with the supporters but his own players as well.

Ok shots / chances - then it's the players fault? Why are they taking unrealistic shots? Or did Mourinho tell them to do that too?

Look - Mourinho makes mistakes, all humans do - I'm not saying he is infallible.

He's working with the players he has - and they simply aren't good enough to 'do if on a warm afternoon in crystal palace'

I don't know why that is - it pisses me off considerably, but I know it pisses Mourinho off more!

So that's why I'm expecting CL qualification, summer re-org and title champions next season.

Anybody critical of Mourinho - answer me this...

If we had Suarez up front - would Palace have beaten us?

The answer as we all know - is 'No'

There's the issue a massive lack of a striker. Occam's razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.... ;)

Not aimed at you Strike, and apologies to The Skipper if you felt I was being personal - I'm not, just stating my opinion :) I just hope, come next season I am right. Feel free to quote me if not - and I will apologise.

No. I don't think Mourinho told the players to try long shots/long balls. After the Everton game, he said that the team was getting hurried into long balls and that should not happen. i think it's more to do with the team lacking ideas in attack in games like Palace away. Lot of times, the ball ends up 35 yards from goal with no movement in front of the ball. so Luiz, Matic, Ivanovic all decided to have a pop. No one got anywhere near the goal

a better striker would settle Chelsea more games but the lack of chances is created is also an issue. not down to just a change of striker

Yeah but what's a Strikers main role - making runs in behind te defence, creating space - for people to move into...

We have a donkey leading our line... Hence no space, no movement and long shots...

Honestly. Striker is such an important role in the team - we so badly lack... Sure our midfielders can score - but not all of the time...

LOOOL