The Mourinho Thread

According to the Guardian (usually very reliable) the club has said that Mourinho 'was unaware he was being filmed' when he made the striker comments.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/24/jose-mourinho-remarks-chelsea-champions-league-galatasaray?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Jose Mourinho made Chelsea 'a winning machine', says Didier Drogba ahead of Champions League reunion

This is just :lol:..

“When I over-reacted in the Barcelona game and I went to the disciplinary commission and they punished me he was helping me.

“He was very supportive. He spoke up for me. He sent me a message saying if I go to jail he will send me some oranges!”

I love the man more by each passing day - LEGEND

I agree top class manager but he just slammed his own players, how is that legend stuff? Not to say I disagree with you but what he did was wrong imo, if we are out of every competition and he knew they will leave(Eto'o, Ba) he should do that but not during the crucial period of the season.

I agree top class manager but he just slammed his own players, how is that legend stuff? Not to say I disagree with you but what he did was wrong imo, if we are out of every competition and he knew they will leave(Eto'o, Ba) he should do that but not during the crucial period of the season.

He made pretty much the same comments a few months ago, it's Eto'o; Ba and Torres's jobs to prove him wrong.

Besides his comment was tongue in cheek and its fairly obvious the only striker he somewhat rates out of the three is Eto'o

they might be reliable, but the way they translated the quotes is weird. I didn't get the notion that Mourinho was questioning Eto'o's age rather than making a joke along the lines 32 or 35, same difference. Also he's never said we don't have Falcao. He's said we don't have a striker and Falcao doesn't have a team. So I think they're trying to make it a bit bigger than it was for the sake of making it a hit story or something.

To be honest, we don't need an absolute world class striker. Bayern proved it just last season that you don't need the very best striker in the world (although they do help a lot). We need a consistent, reliable guy that keeps scoring - especially if he manages to do it in important moments (few manage that). It's not the amount of goals, but the goals we need. That was something we had with Drogba. Look at his stats and he wasn't that big a scorer in most of his seasons here, still he scored some of the most important goals that led to titles. Benzema, Costa, Mandzukic, Higuain among others aren't world class or at least not as big as Cavani, Lewa, Falcao, Aguero, Suarez but they score decent amount of goals. I do think they aren't that great in big games, but I think any of those guys are decent enough to have us being favorites to the competitions we play. I'd rather have two guys like those, or maybe one of those guys and some guy like Lukaku (as we don't know yet if he's staying or leaving), than have one big name. Cavani, Falcao, Aguero, Sturridge all got injured this season, if we only have a big name and spend all our money in only one player, and they get an injury we're back at square one. With our AMs, our good headers in the team and hopefully us getting more dangerous in set-pieces, I think we're good in the attack department. In a team where the star is a winger/cam (just like Messi and Ronaldo), the striker is just the supporting role that steals the scene sometimes, but just keeps working hard and scoring decently enough. I hate to keep crying on guy we let go and you rarely see me in ex-blues threads weeping about the talent we wasted, but Daniel was the one guy I wish we haven't sold. I don't get why we sold him at all (unless he put a request because he wasn't having as much play time as he wanted). We aren't a selling club, having two good strikers shouldn't be too much (and that's being nice to Torres). We need someone like Daniel. I'd love him to come back like Matic did, but there's no way Liverpool is allowing that... especially if they're back in the UCL which they fatally will with the gap between them and the rest below them.

<sarcasm>I think if we move Branna or JT up top then we will be ok.</sarcasm>

Sorry I couldn't help myself, especially after these past two weeks it seems that our defenders score more goals than our forwards tend to do.

they might be reliable, but the way they translated the quotes is weird. I didn't get the notion that Mourinho was questioning Eto'o's age rather than making a joke along the lines 32 or 35, same difference. Also he's never said we don't have Falcao. He's said we don't have a striker and Falcao doesn't have a team. So I think they're trying to make it a bit bigger than it was for the sake of making it a hit story or something.

I agree with what you say about not necessarily needing a world-class striker, but in fairness to the Guardian I do remember Mourinho saying: 'J'ai une équipe mais je n'ai pas Falcao...Falcao n'a pas une équipe' which they correctly translated. I think Canal have removed the video off their channel now(?) which would perhaps back up the paper's suggestion that Mourinho is angry about it and didn't know he was being filmed.

<sarcasm>I think if we move Branna or JT up top then we will be ok.</sarcasm>

Sorry I couldn't help myself, especially after these past two weeks it seems that our defenders score more goals than our forwards tend to do.

actually you made me realize I didn't ever finish the line 'With our AMs, our good headers in the team and hopefully us getting more dangerous in set-pieces, I think we're good in the attack department' it was supposed to be continued with: adding any of those guys to the squad.

I agree with what you say about not necessarily needing a world-class striker, but in fairness to the Guardian I do remember Mourinho saying: 'Je n'ai pas Falcao...Falcao n'a pas une équipe' which they correctly translated. I think Canal have removed the video off their channel now(?) which would perhaps back up the paper's suggestion that Mourinho is angry about it and didn't know he was being filmed.

oh, my bad then. I only listened to the first vid - the official one - and even then my French is less than scrappy, so I sort of just understood partially. I was trusting the many people here quoting him saying 'I don't have a striker'

oh, my bad then. I only listened to the first vid - the official one - and even then my French is less than scrappy, so I sort of just understood partially. I was trusting the many people here quoting him saying 'I don't have a striker'

Yeah I'm not sure why some of the translations I've seen have missed that bit out (I don't have Falcao/Falcao isn't mine) but he definitely said it midway through the conversation and said the striker bit (I don't have a striker) at the start.

To be honest, we don't need an absolute world class striker. Bayern proved it just last season that you don't need the very best striker in the world (although they do help a lot). We need a consistent, reliable guy that keeps scoring - especially if he manages to do it in important moments (few manage that). It's not the amount of goals, but the goals we need. That was something we had with Drogba. Look at his stats and he wasn't that big a scorer in most of his seasons here, still he scored some of the most important goals that led to titles. Benzema, Costa, Mandzukic, Higuain among others aren't world class or at least not as big as Cavani, Lewa, Falcao, Aguero, Suarez but they score decent amount of goals. I do think they aren't that great in big games, but I think any of those guys are decent enough to have us being favorites to the competitions we play. I'd rather have two guys like those, or maybe one of those guys and some guy like Lukaku (as we don't know yet if he's staying or leaving), than have one big name. Cavani, Falcao, Aguero, Sturridge all got injured this season, if we only have a big name and spend all our money in only one player, and they get an injury we're back at square one. With our AMs, our good headers in the team and hopefully us getting more dangerous in set-pieces, I think we're good in the attack department with any of those guys added to the squad. In a team where the star is a winger/cam (just like Messi and Ronaldo), the striker is just the supporting role that steals the scene sometimes, but just keeps working hard and scoring decently enough. I hate to keep crying on guy we let go and you rarely see me in ex-blues threads weeping about the talent we wasted, but Daniel was the one guy I wish we haven't sold. I don't get why we sold him at all (unless he put a request because he wasn't having as much play time as he wanted). We aren't a selling club, having two good strikers shouldn't be too much (and that's being nice to Torres). We need someone like Daniel. I'd love him to come back like Matic did, but there's no way Liverpool is allowing that... especially if they're back in the UCL which they fatally will with the gap between them and the rest below them.

The Guardian is notoriously anti-Chelsea, so the crude tone is not surprising. I agree, next season's strike force should be Costa, Eto'o and Lukaku.

Regardless if he meant that to be public or not, he's been saying basically the same thing in the past couple of weeks. For example, on Saturday, after the match, he said "...we could not gamble much (at HT) because I know that our strikers don'st score much..."

There's a time and place for everything and jose either doesn't give a fuck and he's constantly being an arsehole on purpose for attention or he just can't help himself. There was no reason whatsoever to make such a ridiculous and unprofessional statement in public when you know there are cameras and recording device and you are in an industry or position that demands certain level of professionalizm and less than savy comment and behaviour usually atttact bad press and unwanted attention (from the clubs prspective anyway). He's s great manager but his antics gets boring and lame after a while. Like be matured and professional for a change.

Mourinho on those comments about Eto'o (the STs).

He also said the comment was obviously not good but was basically just a joke in a friendly conversation with someone not in the footballing world. Said there is no reason for Eto'o (or Torres and Ba) to be upset with it.