The Mourinho Thread

Mata and De Bruyne - limited athleticism and physicality (something which wouldn't normally hinder an AM) but technically very good/world class = sidelined and sold

Ramires and Ivanovic - good athleticism (Ramires) and physicality (Ivan), but technically atrocious (to the extent you wonder how they are footballers) = untouchables

Mindboggling. Can someone explain the reasoning to me?!

Azpilicueta at RB & Cole/Bertrand at LB > Ivanovic at RB & Azpi/Bertrand/Cole at LB

Any decent central midfielder > Ramires

Remember the two home games with Stoke in 2012? It was a Mata moment of brilliance in both that helped us win 1-0.

Remember the two home games with Stoke in 2012? It was a Mata moment of brilliance in both that helped us win 1-0.

Indeed. I would be much more accepting of Mourinho's decision to sideline Mata if he was consistent in his approach. Seems like he wants the players to be more all-round, but the fact that he plays Ramires and Ivanovic every game says it all really.

Thats why he regularly takes off defenders to bring on midfielders or forwards when chasing games.

Then again he goes defensive when we're winning, which at times is really annoying. Winning 3-0 vs United and a thrasing could well have been the order of the day. They themselves sensed it bringing on a defender.

Just a quick question I'd like to ask you all?

Liverpool were leading 4-0 at home to Everton and went on the hunt for more,

while when we were leading 3-0 against United (or lead in any game) we decide to shut up shop rather than hunt for more. Why all this negativity?

Personally, I find it funny to read Jose accusing West Ham playing 19th century football today.

If I remember correctly, back in 2010 the CL game of Inter vs Barca he has done exactly the same parking the bus shit as we saw last night.

So did Jose expect any different from West Ham if he was in the same position ?

Mourinho's philosophy is neither offensive nor defensive, it's winning.

Tactical genius is Mourinho! Never realised the point of the game was to win!

So that means all other manager's philosophy is to lose?

btw even that winning thing u said can be argued against since he has gone into some games this season just looking to draw lol

Indeed. I would be much more accepting of Mourinho's decision to sideline Mata if he was consistent in his approach. Seems like he wants the players to be more all-round, but the fact that he plays Ramires and Ivanovic every game says it all really.

He also plays Eden Hazard, Oscar and Willian in most games. These are fantastically exciting players but he isn't adverse to throwing in some work/warhorses at the same time to balance it out and keep things tight at the back.

Then again he goes defensive when we're winning, which at times is really annoying. Winning 3-0 vs United and a thrasing could well have been the order of the day. They themselves sensed it bringing on a defender.

Are you seriously moaning about us not beating United by more than 3-1???

We've beat them 5-0 in the past but it didn't make us any more likely to win the title. That was a fantastic result.

while when we were leading 3-0 against United (or lead in any game) we decide to shut up shop rather than hunt for more. Why all this negativity?

Because we were beating the league leaders 3-0 at home so why bother risking it? Sorry, but I have to ask....what the fuck do you want?

Tactical genius is Mourinho! Never realised the point of the game was to win!

So that means all other manager's philosophy is to lose?

btw even that winning thing u said can be argued against since he has gone into some games this season just looking to draw lol

Winning in the greater context. Looking at the games at Old trafford and the Emirates in isolation is missing the bigger picture. When I say he's driven by a philosophy to win, I mean his philosophy in the grand scheme of things isn't driven by an inclination to play a particular style of attacking football like Arsenal neither is it to defend. Unlike Wenger for example (who was beating Barca at emirates but went to camp nou and lost 4-0) Mourinho isn't so naive that he will stick to one philosophy but changes it for each game depending on what is required to win trophies in the grand scheme of things. ala. Inter Milan v Barca.

Winning in the greater context. Looking at the games at Old trafford and the Emirates in isolation is missing the bigger picture. When I say he's driven by a philosophy to win, I mean his philosophy in the grand scheme of things isn't driven by an inclination to play a particular style of attacking football like Arsenal neither is it to defend. Unlike Wenger for example (who was beating Barca at emirates but went to camp nou and lost 4-0) Mourinho isn't so naive that he will stick to one philosophy but changes it for each game depending on what is required to win trophies in the grand scheme of things. ala. Inter Milan v Barca.

Precisely simply trying to classify Mou's as being defensive or offensive is disingenuous, as he realized that winning things in the grand scheme depends more on flexiblity than anything else and his records speaks for itself I would think that in his mind the ends almost always justify the means which is why you'll seem him play 'negative' (lol) football to get results.

He also plays Eden Hazard, Oscar and Willian in most games. These are fantastically exciting players but he isn't adverse to throwing in some work/warhorses at the same time to balance it out and keep things tight at the back.

I don't think you actually even addressed my point. Are you referring to Ivanovic and Ramires as 'work/warhorses'? LOL. Yes let's put technically inept players at the core of the team because they work hard - passing the ball to the opposition and row Z must really take the life out of them.

Are you seriously moaning about us not beating United by more than 3-1???

We've beat them 5-0 in the past but it didn't make us any more likely to win the title. That was a fantastic result.

Because we were beating the league leaders 3-0 at home so why bother risking it? Sorry, but I have to ask....what the fuck do you want?

Let's not pretend most Chelsea fans (except you who deems any Mourinho move fantastic) weren't disappointed that on the one occasion there was a heavy chance of running riot against a poor United side there for the taking Mourinho decided to shut up shop and they ended up with a much more respectable scoreline.

This thread is turning ridiculous. When a result doesn't go our way, people come here to bash one of the greatest managers ever in the game. Its sad really.

Well it would help if you actually addressed the concerns rather than deeming any criticism of Mourinho as a knee-jerk reaction to the loss. If you read the forums you'd see my concerns with Ramires' and Ivanovic's technical ineptitude hindering our performances is shared by many and has been for a while.