The Mourinho Thread

I don't know, do you think Abramovich would be happy seeing over 100m worth of attacking talent in a team but playing a low defensive block, not taking any initiative and settling for 0-0? I am happy with a point but we could have had a better go at them for 3 points. They were certainly there for the taking. I suppose 1 point beats 0 points though but it could have been different if the approach was slightly different.

Benitez defeated Manchester at Old Tradford, 1-0, and also got a 2-2 in FA Cup that could have been a 3-2 if Mata had scored in the last minute.

Football is not as complicated as it seems. Today Mourinho got his tactics wrong, as simple as that. The result was good, but the football was far from convincing.

Benitez defeated United at Old Traford when United was already Champion.

In the last 12 seasons we won 3 games at Old Traford. In the last one they were already champions, we won other when we were Champions with Ancelotti and another one with Mourinho. So yes it's really hard to win at Old Traford in an EPL game.

We did not park the bus and just let them have the ball in our half today. The genius of Jose's plans is that it stops the other team from even creating anything. He did it today just like he did it in the second half against Hull just like he did it countless times in his last stint here.

When you park the bus you need a lot of luck and a lot of last ditch defending because the other team will inevitably create chances. This is different, yes Benitez managed to do it in our home game against City but couldn't repeat the act at the Etihad. It's not as easy at it looks and it does take a tactical genius to pull off.

we didn't park the bus at all today though.

We had a crazy solid defense, but we played with 4 AM most time. We tried to attack. The boys were uninspired maybe, but we didn't park the bus and that's the difference on knowing how to have a reliable defense that will allow you to play your game from relying your game by playing only your defense.

No criticism against Robbie from me, I'm just trying to praise Mourinho's work here because I think it's due

I don't know, but something seems wrong to me.

It was okay when Mourinho did it when he first came here because of the team he had and the size of the club.

But this team is supposed to be attack, attack, attack. Chelsea is a more bigger brand and team then it was a decade ago.

We cannot go and negate the opponent so they don't play their game. We supposed to have the better team with a more flair and exuberant side.

Hopefully this a one of, and come November/December we are in a better shape to be more commanding. Cause no owners pays that much to have their team play like that. Is just pure garbage!

I don't know, but something seems wrong to me.

It was okay when Mourinho did it when he first came here because of the team he had and the size of the club.

But this team is supposed to be attack, attack, attack. Chelsea is a more bigger brand and team then it was a decade ago.

We cannot go and negate the opponent so they don't play their game. We supposed to have the better team with a more flair and exuberant side.

Hopefully this a one of, and come November/December we are in a better shape to be more commanding. Cause no owners pays that much to have their team play like that. Is just pure garbage!

one thing doesn't justify the other.

I think the game plan was okay on paper and the players didn't execute it. He could have tried to fix it, but he seemed to be okay with the 0-0. That's my whole point though... we weren't a defensive team tonight. We defended well, but our problems in the attack weren't because of a defensive formation. I understand what you mean, I'm frustrated too because I feel like those two points could have been added, but the team is new, Mou has just started, I think we should give him time and also the boys.

I criticized them, but I know it's maybe asking too much too soon. Let's see in a few months as you suggested. I think we should keep in mind the team is too young and the management is new

I don't know, do you think Abramovich would be happy seeing over 100m worth of attacking talent in a team but playing a low defensive block, not taking any initiative and settling for 0-0? I am happy with a point but we could have had a better go at them for 3 points. They were certainly there for the taking. I suppose 1 point beats 0 points though but it could have been different if the approach was slightly different.

It's only one game TBF. If this goes on, then serious concern would have to be raised. And Mourinho has said as much that this team is built for the future and he's still looking to set the foundation for this team to truly prosper. He also mentioned before that we usually see the best of his teams in the second season.

It's still early on the season as it's only the 3rd game. Take the point and move on even if Mourinho's approach is dodgy against United. It's arguably still better than RDM going all defensive against QPR away last season.

You can't blame the manager when some of our players cant do simple things like dribble and pass the ball. Hazard/KDB/Andre/Oscar were all woeful today. our defense were solid at the back. our creative/attacking players let us down today.

I think its only fair that he is criticized the same way we did to Robbie, AVB and Benitez. Had it been any of those who sent out that line up and made those dreadful subs we would be calling for their head. He got it wrong by not bringing on Lukaku and Mata

Benitez defeated Manchester at Old Tradford, 1-0, and also got a 2-2 in FA Cup that could have been a 3-2 if Mata had scored in the last minute.

Football is not as complicated as it seems. Today Mourinho got his tactics wrong, as simple as that. The result was good, but the football was far from convincing.

Exactly what I have been saying his not immune of criticism. He messed up today had that been AVB, Robbie or Benitez we would have been calling for their head already

To be fair the PL game at OT is not decisive anymore for them last season.

Thats it. Whats the point of buying 10 attacking players to go to Old Tradford to get a drawn. Some people are even claiming Mourinho when to his match to get a 0-0. Thats pretty weird. Whats more strange is if Benitez was our manager today people would be saying:

-Benitez is garbage, he left Lukaku on the bench.

-This guy is crazy, he left Mata on the bench.

-Many talents and playing a defensive football.

Many things to improve, I really dont see De Bruyne as player start big matches like this, and leaving Mata the entire match on the bench was far from a wise decision. It makes me wonder about Mourinhos tactics against Liverpool in 4 UCL semi-final games, when Chelsea had the better squad but he opted for a defensive tactic. Liverpool was 5th in PL in 2005 and the team could not score a single goal. I hope Mourinho changed his approach in these kind of matches, I hope this was just an unusual game.

edit: watching his interview, it seems he thought the team would be more dangerous, but the players made a lot of mistakes, but I still dont get the fact De Bruyne played instead of Mata.

this is Mou explanation

"He (mata) is very important for me, for Chelsea. The stories coming are nonsense stories, he goes nowhere and is very important for me. He had a very small pre-season after the Confederations Cup, during that small pre-season he was injured. He started training two days before we played the first Premier League match, and had a match last week against Aston Villa, a difficult one, and today I decided to put him on the bench.

'I played with De Bruyne on the right because I know De Bruyne will give complete control of Evra defensively. When Juan plays on the right he comes more inside. I don't say the kid is more tactically disciplined but is more adapted to that situation. I wanted Oscar to play behind the striker so I decided not to play Juan.. Minute 70, 75, I was feeling [it was] difficult to win, I don't want to lose, so I made the changes to control the last few minutes of the game, but no chance Juan goes anywhere.'"

Why did Chelsea just get referred to as a 'brand'? I feel sick now...

Because football and sports in general are huge business. Nowadays thats exactly what big clubs around the world are: brands, and believe me, even people are brands, like Nadal, Federer, Lebron James...Deal with it.

It's only one game TBF. If this goes on, then serious concern would have to be raised. And Mourinho has said as much that this team is built for the future and he's still looking to set the foundation for this team to truly prosper. He also mentioned before that we usually see the best of his teams in the second season.

It's still early on the season as it's only the 3rd game. Take the point and move on even if Mourinho's approach is dodgy against United. It's arguably still better than RDM going all defensive against QPR away last season.

The problem is that we already know Mourinho, and we do know that sometimes he is so afraid of losing, that he makes it difficult to win.