The Mourinho Thread

transcript of Mou's post match presser

Were you fortunate to win?
It was a free-kick against Aston Villa. If somebody pushes an opponent especially in the box in a dangerous area it is a free-kick against them.

Was it a struggle for you tonight?
If in this moment we are here with a draw it wouldn’t be an unfair result. I think they fought a lot for a result. I don’t think they played a lot because they don’t play a lot.
Every ball the goalkeeper had every ball the goalkeeper kicks so they don’t play a lot but they fought a lot and they created great difficulties and if Petr doesn’t save the one on the far post from Weimann we probably don’t even get a point out of this game.
This is what they do. They have a special player with special qualities. They use him. Goalkeeper kicks it and Benteke is fantastic with the first ball and they play from Benteke.
They do this and the counter attack. The counter attack we controlled fantastically. In 90 minutes they had the one situation and we controlled it very well and killed their counter attacks because we played with great balance between the lines and positionally we were very good.
The situation with Benteke is very difficult to control because the goalkeeper has the ball, you can’t press the goalkeeper. The ball is there and he kicks the ball and after that everything goes from Benteke. It’s difficult. They gave us a very difficult match.

Was Benteke in your thoughts as a striker to buy?

He is a great player but he is a great player for a certrain style of football. We tried to play a different style of football.
We tried to play the way we played against Hull. We tried to play the way we train every day but the good thing from my team today was Villa gave us a different match and we coped with that.
Defensively we were strong. I think we could do better with the ball. Better decisions. Maybe my decision of not making many changes, only two, maybe was not the best.
Maybe it would be better to put more fresh players from the beginning because I felt my players found the midfield in the attacking areas were not very, very sharp which was understandable but the team fought very hard and sometimes you have to win because you play fantastic football.
Sometimes when you don’t do that you have to play based on other things and today other things gave us the game.

Did you fear Ivanovic would be sent off for an elbow?
No, first of all this is the Premier League. This is English football. For some reason the world loves it more than any other league.
One thing is a real aggression. Another thing is duals that land in a certrain way and I think the referee did very well and from minute one to minute 95 there was a real fight.
A football fight between Benteke and Ivanovic and fouls, foul on one side, fouls on the other side and I think that is football.

Two games, two wins but no goals from your strikers. Is it time to buy someone who can actually score?
In this moment we are scoring enough goals to win our matches and I try to I tried to put all my three strikers more or less the same time on the pitch.
Today I started Ba. Lukaku didn’t start but was the one who played both matches and I tried to give them the confidence to play and to get into the team. They did their work for the team in different matches.
They work hard, they open spaces for the team, they have a defensive job for the team they were humble on the service they gave to the team so I cannot say that I’m not happy with them.

What happened on the touchline?
When it is 1-0 nothing happened. When the game is over after 20 minutes nothing happens. From the minute until the 95th minute with the result unpredictable when nobody knows what is going to happen, Paul has a certain type of personality and behaviour on the bench that pushes for that.
He reminds me of myself 10 years ago when I was complaining about every decision, when I want to coach my team and at the same time I want to have a whistle on my lip. He is the same. He will change.
With time and experience he will change because he complains about every, every, every decision.
But he is a young manager, very intelligent. He plays very well adapted to the quality of his players. I wish him good. I like him and no problem. Just little discussions.

Have your side recovered?
Yeah, yeah. Today was today. We played Sunday and Wed after national team matches. Now we have four days with no football, absolutely nothing, and we have Friday, Saturday and Sunday and they are fine.

Are you more likely to go for Rooney after Monday's game?
I don’t want Chelsea to do it before we go there and everybody in the club in the board they agree with me. There is time to do things. We did it before and we will do later but what I think with this period where we are going to be quiet and just be thinking just about that game.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2399452/Jose-Mourinho-takes-aim-Paul-Lambert-spat-saying-He-reminds-years-ago.html#ixzz2ceFABMNg

Agree with that, I said it in the beginning of the match.

However, those weird wins are what make teams champions...

It was a MASSIVE result, imo. It puts a lot of pressure on united and Moyes because it will be a huge hit for them to already be 6 points behind us 9 days into the season, so they come into the game on Monday with more pressure on them than us.

But performance wise, it was just terrible, there are no two ways about it.

What i really like is him questioning his own decisions and analysing them etc. And what he said about the team was correct.

At least we know we won't have to be subject to the 89th min left back sub when we need a goal. He won't be afraid to change things at half time or before if he thinks something is not right. Great to have him back.

He is still learning with the team, so he is gonna make slight errors here and there, tactically or selection wise.

I read some comments here and I find it funny like we should be fantastic in every game we win especially when villa didn't even come to play but to defend from the start just like manu does this days. We played as we could against a team that parked the bus and most importantly we won. That's what makes champions for me.

Tactics and team selection all wrong for tonight's game. He should share the blame with the players for the bad performance.

In his post-match interview he sort of blamed himself for the line up and players he had selected, so at least something. Hopefully he will learn from that. It was an awful performace and Villa seems to be his bogey team so luckily we got the points.

In his post-match interview he sort of blamed himself for the line up and players he had selected, so at least something. Hopefully he will learn from that. It was an awful performace and Villa seems to be his bogey team so luckily we got the points.

This is a typical Mou ploy! Take the bad limelight away from the players..

Of course, Jose knows he made mistakes. He's still getting to know the players and I think he'll make a few more before he figures out what works and what doesn't.

I think there are a few things to consider from the match before we crucify players and manager.

Last page I used probably 1000 words in a debate with Blue Army about how takes time to a manager to establish and solidify his philosophy and style of play in a team.
We aren't the same Chelsea (squad wise) from 6 years ago and neither is Mourinho. So while he already knows the club, is familiar how things are handled there off pitch, he's starting over. There's little he can use from his first time here to find the team that will work best. Even the club's philosophy seems to have changed from his first spell to now. So while he's familiar with Terry, Cole, Cech and Lamps, that's too little because six years are a lot, and those players - maybe with the exception of Cech - aren't the same anymore.

He needs to get to know his players, but really know them. Their weaknesses, their strengths, the areas they can improve, the areas they just can't. Then he needs to see how those players compliment each other and compensate weaknesses. I'm sure he already has a plan in mind, but there's a long distance between having that plan and reaching his goal. At some points he will have to make adjustments because plans rarely go completely smoothly.

And it means he'll make mistakes, just like he did yesterday. 65 minutes to do the changes was a bit late imo (still way better than 85). I think Torres would have been more suited to the match than Ba was. Whether we like him or not, whether we want to strangle him for playing deeper than he should or not, his movement and linkups against Hull offered more space for Kevin, Oscar, Hazard and even Lampard play. That's not enough, don't take me wrong, but I think he could have done the same with Villa. We insisted on playing in the center where all their players were concentrated and when Torres goes deeper to receive the ball, he frees one of AM to go wider because there are so many players that can occupy the same zone. According to Newton 2 bodies can't occupy the exact same space, but last night we tried to challenge the physics law with the insistence of centralizing the play.

I also think he should start considering a rotation with Lampard. Forget the squad rotation now, he won't rotate the squad so early in the season. he might make a few changes to try to find a better tactical result, that's experiment, not rotation. The only reason he's rotating the three strikers is because he's trying to give them equal chances before a new striker arrives, so they know where they stand in his plans. Had Rooney or whoever else been here already, I doubt he'd be trying to give the same play time for all 4 strikers. He's rotating where we are the most deficient because his better prospect is still two young, inexperienced, a tad nervous and he needs to be careful with the boy otherwise he'll damage his progress.

Back to Lamps... I think it's only a matter of shape. he can't play twice a week. He will produce really well one match, but the other he'll be more prone to mistakes, just like yesterday. When you body doesn't obey your brain, there's nothing left for you to do and I hope they both recognize it soon.

Of course, Jose knows he made mistakes. He's still getting to know the players and I think he'll make a few more before he figures out what works and what doesn't.

What i really like is him questioning his own decisions and analysing them etc. And what he said about the team was correct.
At least we know we won't have to be subject to the 89th min left back sub when we need a goal. He won't be afraid to change things at half time or before if he thinks something is not right. Great to have him back.
He is still learning with the team, so he is gonna make slight errors here and there, tactically or selection wise.

I agree with you guys. But if we know he's made mistakes because he has to know the team better, let's give him time to get to know his players (I'm not implying any of you isn't giving him time)

He blamed himself for two reasons: 1) he was to blame 2) he protects his players for the most part.
But let's not confuse him with Daddy Carlo. He protects the players, but he's also very tough on them, sometimes even in the press room - where he shouldn't. But the thing is journalists know Mourinho well and they start making questions that will lead him to talk about players when they're sub par or when he, for example, leaves Torres even out of the bench... They're baiting for a reaction, for player criticism and while yesterday the reason was tactical, sometimes it will be technical. But overall I feel like Mou protects the players that trust him and his decisions. It's the players that challenge his decisions (and consequently his leadership) that usually aren't spared in pressers.

Good 3 points Mourinho.
Was ugly, and you will get criticism for that.
But for me, I'm happy.

Just one thing. Mata as RW......hopefully you can try to make it work, or find a better solution.

The problem wasn't where Mata played - Mazacar was as dynamic as they were under di Matteo and they exchanged positions a lot. The problem is Mata is completely out of shape and it'll take a long while for him to be at the same level as the rest of the squad. Nobody is 100% fit already. I'd say in general they're around 70-80% while Mata is I don't know 40%. Then he takes 3-4 weeks to finally be 70-80%, by then the other guys will already be 100%, but he'll still need another 3-4 weeks to reach it. So no matter where Mourinho plays Mata now, he won't deliver what he usually does and there's no way Mourinho shouldn't use him because the less he plays the longer it'll take for him to reach his ideal form and we need Mata - much less than we needed him in the last couple of years - but we still need him. You can't ignore a player of his caliber.

Oh there was something I wanted to comment.

I remember Mourinho saying that the scouting system that Chelsea now has is one of the best he seen.

Said it was better then Inter, Madrid and Porto.

While he might be right about the first two, nobody can beat the Portuguese club when it comes to scouting.

But yes, it's true our scouting system has improve massively since he was last here.

Well done to the board and staff running the club.

Jose is one hell of a manager. Very manipluative. If he is holding 4 aces he will make you think he has 4 jokers. I can guarentee you, this is all a ploy for the more important games.

Why would he show his full hand?? So other teams can study our game tapes and find a way around us?? Wake up people!! Jose's insructions are simple, go out there, get the 3 points and relax. It's a long season and we wan't to peak at the right time.

IN JOSE WE WILL ALWAYS TRUST!!

Don't overhype mourinho, he isn't perfect. You really think that was how he wanted it? With zero chances created after our goal and them having three or so goal scoring chances. Of course he is gonna make mistakes. With mazacar he even fielded our (potentially) strongest attacking trio, so how is that consistent with hiding our gameplans.

Don't overhype mourinho, he isn't perfect. You really think that was how he wanted it? With zero chances created after our goal and them having three or so goal scoring chances. Of course he is gonna make mistakes. With mazacar he even fielded our (potentially) strongest attacking trio, so how is that consistent with hiding our gameplans.

'He is not God, but almost' - Hazard on Mourinho

No, it wasn't.

"Mourinho is the best coach in the world."

Source: L'Equipe (direct quotes)

True, he called him the best coach in the world, but regarding the god-quote

"Everyone is talking about him here. He is not God, but almost. The fans and the players love him. I wait and see."

Anyhow there are more important things to discuss i believe

True, he called him the best coach in the world, but regarding the god-quote

"Everyone is talking about him here. He is not God, but almost. The fans and the players love him. I wait and see."

Anyhow there are more important things to discuss i believe

Context is everything, it was from the same interview.

He called Mourinho THE best coach in the world, and you tried to act like Hazard merely echoed his status at the club, smh.