The Mourinho Thread

The thing is, whether right or wrong, Mourinho has tried a lot of things to get a reaction from the players and none have worked. He's backed them to the hilt (e.g. Costa) and still doesn't get anything. He's criticized them and still doesn't get anything. At this point, he's probably taking things further up a notch and see it if works. And if it doesn't, then he's surely dragged those under-performers down with him.

Tried a lot of things? He is playing with same starting 11 and same 4-2-3-1 rigid approach all season ...

How could Chelsea find a good replacement given that there is nothing left to save for the rest of the season (forget the CL and the top 4) and that he could be sacked 6 months later just because some players have decided so?

Now he thinks there's a mole in the squad that has leaked the line-ups prior to the Porto and Leicester games. Jesus Christ! He couldn't have had a similar season to his 3rd one in Madrid even if he had tried to, could he?

Source?

Mourinho in survival mode, haha. I originally wanted to ignore everything involving this subject but I came across it anyway, damn internet, and I just can't help myself. His passion comments are priceless. It's such hogwash. He's playing the crowd, making full use of his god-like status in the eyes of many Chelsea fans. He knows that word is something that hits the hearts of many football fans, especially in English football. And unsurprsingly, it has hit home with many fans. People who are actually watching the games start to see a team that is 'not trying and doesn't care'. Nonsense. They are running, they are defending, they are attacking. It's just not working. Nothing is working. There was no difference in terms of effort in the games vs Porto and Leicester. The matches were different though. Football is and always will be a game that is decided by the slightest of details and margins.

'Passion' - better known as excessive running and tough tackling, let's not kid ourselves - doesn't win you jack. If so, British nations and the likes of Ireland, Turkey, Uruguay, Ghana, Australia and many other countries would be extremely succesful. Wenger's early Arsenal team didn't win because of passion. Mourinho's first Chelsea team wasn't succesful because of passion. Passion wasn't the staple of Ferguson's dominance of English football. They won because they played good football. Quality and calculated football. That's it. More passion wouldn't have caused Chelsea to leap up from 16th to 6th on the table. That 16th place is the result of terrible football.

Never expected Mourinho to stoop so low. I always saw him as man who knew that if he gets sacked at whatever job, he'll easily get another top job and be succesful again. So these kinds of desperate attempts - throwing players under the bus, publicly bluffing the club and putting himself on such a high pedestal - would never be necessary. But I guess this is just him trying to save his job. The circumstances seem to be different this time. I think it's because he's in such a terrible situation right now. Going out like this is a big dent on his rep, despite his past succes.

His time is up imo. The candle is flickering and the wax is almost completely melted. This experience does not make him a bad manager but this isn't working. You'd have to create a new team every two, three years because every team would eventually lack passion, balls and vaginas and betray his work. That's not how football works. You can get longevity out of the core of a group with two or three managers at the helm over a 5 to 10 year span.

I don't understand why such a big deal is made of him being a short term manager btw. The vast majority of managers are short term so it's not a bad thing. He'll be fine.

I remember Henrique mentioning something similar happen to Ariggo Sachi and Fabio Capello.

They was awesome in their time, but then they just faded.

This is an interesting topic that requires further study.

I think the problem is that everyone thinks that they can do a Ferguson, but that was once in a blue moon. We might never see something like that again in our lifetime.....well you can say Wenger, but that's not nearly close to what Ferguson did.