The Mourinho Thread

Yes, they don't know what to do. They've already tried : Ranieri ; Mourinho ; Grant ; Scolari ; Hiddink ; Ancelotti ; Villas-Boas ; di Matteo the interim ; di Matteo the manager ; Benitez ; Mourinho mark II. That's 11 managers, and none appears to work, or at least to satisfy their taste (Hiddink and di Matteo the interim are special cases). They have also tried a lot of profiles : the 'young star' (Mourinho, Villas-Boas) ; the 'established' (Scolari, Hiddink, Ancelotti, Benitez, Mourinho mark II) ; the 'promoted from the rank' (Grant, di Matteo the manager) ; the 'old-one' (Mourinho mark II).

What is left to turn to, for non-footballer persons like them ? There are not many 'established' managers left... Guardiola, Enrique, Simeone ? Probably unreachable—and not possible until the end of the season. Klopp is already taken. Ancelotti is free but already tired out. The rest are an average bunch. You have maybe guys like the Dortmund's manager who are rather a 'lower' profile and not hyped like Villas-Boas was. As for the 'rest of the world', that is too underground for the board.

Their inaction might to be attributed to the fact they have already someone for next year. But even then, it does not explain why they do not act ? After all, sacking the manager mid-season when things were bad proved to be an option that actually worked. After sacking Mourinho, we were one-penalty series away of winning the Champions League. After sacking Scolari, we won the FA Cup and if it was our day we would have reached for the second time (in a row) the Champions League Final. After sacking Villas-Boas, we won the Champions League and the FA Cup (and managed to take back the CL spot that slipped away in the League). After sacking di Matteo, we also secured a CL spot that was not certain and won the Europa League.

So yeah, even if we already have a manager, why be passive right now ? Why not try to stop the free-fall that we are enduring and try to secure some 'sane' bases for the next manager to come ? It's not even about winning the FA Cup or the Champions League. It's about de-zombifying our players, to start to push away the wood-legs and to introduce the youngsters that have potential, and more basically, to give them optimism and positivism...some bright light. They are definitely not enjoying their football—you cannot produce when you are not enjoying your stuff—and this miserable situation makes it only worse.

Because that's short termism and we're running out of managers; plus the match day fans (myself included) still love Mourinho; unless it's someone previously connected to the club like Di Matteo or Zola I honestly think the fans will revolt, the atmosphere will become toxic and if it emerges that the players forced him out there will be revolt, there is no desire at all from the stands to sack him, Roman knows it because he hears the name sung every Saturday from his box.

All I can say is that be careful what you wish for. Sacking a fan favourite will not go down well with anybody. It's also another reason why Mourinho will not drop John Terry, the one thing fans will not take is dropping the heart and soul of the club and possibly the best player we've seen in the shirt in times like this. Jose needs stability, lieutenants he can trust (yes, that's why Iva still gets his spot on he team) because it seems like the dressing room is cracking at the seams and he needs glue to hold it together.

Because that's short termism and we're running out of managers; plus the match day fans (myself included) still love Mourinho; unless it's someone previously connected to the club like Di Matteo or Zola I honestly think the fans will revolt, the atmosphere will become toxic and if it emerges that the players forced him out there will be revolt.

All I can say is that be careful what you wish for. Sacking a fan favourite will not go down well with anybody.

as soon as the new manager starts winning games, playing good football like this team should be, all the match going fans will forget about jose.

i dont see the match going fans crying about mata or making banners like "bring back mata".

there is only so much space for emotions in any field. beyond this point, it is simply FOLLY to keep jose.

Ranieri, Mourinho 1st run, Ancelotti, and AVB were all good calls for managers even though AVB didn't meet expectations. Arguably, Chelsea could have kept Ranieri, but I'm not going to argue that one. I don't understand why Ancelotti wasn't kept TBH. If Ancelotti were given good wingers or AMs like we have now along with some more good CMs and fullbacks as time progressed, I'm sure he would have done well enough.

as soon as the new manager starts winning games, playing good football like this team should be, all the match going fans will forget about jose.

i dont see the match going fans crying about mata or making banners like "bring back mata".

there is only so much space for emotions in any field. beyond this point, it is simply FOLLY to keep jose.

Conversely, what happens if we appoint the next AVB and he fails to improve us at all? What if Mourinho goes to United (people keep deluding themselves into thinking he wouldn't go there) and makes them an unstoppable force again whilst City get Guardiola?

I'd reluctantly sack him if I was sure the future would be bright, but that would require us hiring Ancelotti/Pep/Klopp. Two of those are impossible and as of today the third looks impossible too. Every other candidate either has question marks (Hiddink, Emery, Conte etc) or are complete jokes like Juande Ramos.

I get that people want us to improve but we can't think just about the short term. What happens if next season and beyond we have to be going against a Pep led City, Mourinho led United, Wenger's Arsenal who finally look like legit contenders, a Klopp led Liverpool who will grow leaps and bounds, and now even Spuds are getting it together under Poch? We could be completely left behind and set back for years.

I myself was one of the "José out" guys after this latest result but if we're thinking about appointing one of these clown candidates then I'd rather just stick with him and give him total authority to change the squad over the next two windows.

And can the fee we would pay to sack him be the reason for which we do not sack him ? And should it even be a reason ?

Going by that — graphic —, if we stay at our current position (16th), we would receive £10m for 'merit' (i.e. our final position). Had we were in a position to secure the 4th position, we would have received £34m — that's a £24m loss. If we manage to get the 10th spot — we are 8 points away, that is half of our point tally —, we would get £22m, that is a £12m loss. I doubt we will get significantly less 'live' diffusion because of our slump (I'm sure they lick their lips at the idea of diffusing even more of our slump), but it might result in one or two live game in less, which would equal to approximately £2m not a lot but still). Being in the CL group stage next year would have automaticcaly granted us €12m (£8m). For a win in the group stage, the money would be €1,5m — the draw €0,5m. There is always a bully team so even if it's a bad season, we can at least think of a one win and one draw : €2m (£1,5m). It could mean a €14m (£9,5m) loss.

Say, we keep our current position in the league and miss out the CL next year. That would equate to more or less a £30m loss. Had the board acted quickly, we would have potentially been able to almost compensate his sacking by salvaging what is to salvage. Well, even if we do compensate the fee, £40m will still be lost. Though, it is better to compensate it (-£10m) than to add it (-£70m).

Even if the numbers I found are flawed, staying in the current situation is to potentially lose a lot of money anyway. It might save us a few millions in the short term. But it is candle-end economy and might be proved very costly in the medium term. The question is eventually whether would we like : a few millions today or tomorrow... In any cases, we will lose a lot of money, so it cannot, and should not, be invoked as the ultimate reason.

Despite the denial of #CFC, the hypothesis of an involvement of Shevchenko at the club, at managerial level is very real. (via @DiMarzio)

Always on good terms with Abramovich, former striker Shevchenko seems to have become his confidant and possible manager (via @DiMarzio) #CFC

Going to watch #CFC games, close to Abramovich. At the time Shevchenko's role has not been defined but his presence is there (via @DiMarzio)

In addition, the name of Marcello Lippi as a possible replacement was brought forward by Shevchenko together with Abramovich (via @DiMarzio)

The club denies, but the situation is: Shevchenko could return to #CFC. No longer as a player but in the ranks of management (via @DiMarzio)