The Mourinho Thread

I would do option 2 in a heartbeat. But to option 1, Kiwomya is awful and only has pace. His ceiling is L1 level. Colkett is interesting but is not ready for the first team although he starred for the youth last season, he would not handle the pace of the PL. DaSilva too is fantastic but he needs more time with the youth first as he is very dimunitive and woudl be very difficult for him imo. JCS is another good prospect but not ready to be playing in the PL. I know Mourinho is not good with youth but tbf to him and I have give him tons of criticisms, no other manager would bring those lot through right now because they are not ready. Imagine if we did play those youngsters then we started to play awful, that would have an adverse effect on the youngsters potentially.

Is Aina potentially ready for a role right now? Maybe. Musonda, I say certainly so. RLC, yes and has played some games but for some reason been completely marginalised and Traore I don't understand why we brought him back in the first place if we were never going to play him. Shoudl have sent him on loan to a more advanced team than Vitesse because he has the ability.

My final thing in defence with Mourinho which is rare, if we did bring in a new manager I don't think we actually will see a change in the youth. RLC might get more sub appearances but I don't think he would be actually trusted with starts unless it is against dead rubber oppositions.

Oh for sure I agree. Musonda, RLC, Kenedy, Traore, Zouma and Baba are our youngsters that are ready for the first team and should be starting. The others I'd like to see in and around squads rather than wasters like Mikel, Ivanovic and Falcao and getting some games off the bench in the COC or EL if we even get that for some experience in the first team to remind them how far they need to develop. I didn't mean 'lots' of game time, that was the wrong phrase to use, but I think they're all ready for at least some game time throughout a season while spending most of their time with the youth team.

Maybe Brown over Kiwomya then but I personally quite rate him, time will tell!

Carragher: "Either Mourinho leaves or a lot of these players have to go"
Or why not both, at the end of the season.
Costa, Fabregas and/or Oscar, Mikel/Ramires, Falcao, Ivanović.

I'm 50 - 50 for Mourinho leaving, I see changes in squad way more important.

Because I know there were times when we weren't so much dependable on coach. Hiddink arrived, Grant arrived, we played good. Di Matteo took us to UCL glory. Those are not so special managers.

When a player is great - he is great. No matter who manager is, as long as he plays and plays in his own (or similar) position.

If Jose remains the big question is can we trust him with rebuilding the squad though? I mean look at us now and look at the players we have let go. Those transfer moves don't seem like of someone who knows what he's doing, but in Jose's defence a big chunk of blame can be put on the board because I'm quite sure Jose never wanted such a thin squad. I'm certain he would absolutely LOVE to have viable options to replace some of the underperformers, but our squad is very thin and lacking quality options. However, when he did have a larger squad with better options, his handling of those players was simply abysmal, so the blame is still shared here.

I still have blind hope that Mourinho can come good and become our undisputed boss who drives us forward, develops proper playing style and promotes youth, but I just can't see it happening anymore :(

If we sack Mourinho and stick with the same squad, we are in way deeper shit then now. This can go to a lot worse than this if we pick wrong choices. If only players could be "sacked".

I just don't think that manager has that much influence on our play, on our players and club in general as most of supporters do think. For Christ's sake, our players are not children! Mou this, Mou that, yadda yadda yadda. Talking so much about him, like he is the one playing on the field. You are player, you need bit of an instructions before some game, but THAT'S IT. Other things - you do on your own! You have your position, you don't need manager to tell you ALL the things you have to do.

Maybe it's different with Mourinho, his image is way bigger than normal manager... But he is still human being. Normal, ordinary human being.

I would maybe sack him for not having long-term potential, for disaster with full-backs, for his part in this insane summer transfer window (targeting impossible players), for buying wrong type of players etc. Surely not for "Hazard's not playing good because Mou defensive" (lol), surely not for "he sold all our good players and bought shits" (lol), surely not for "all attacking players are shit because of him" (lol).

Bad performances of THIS squad, which is worldwide-recognized as top squad, are way way more on them, than on Mourinho.

At this stage I see only two options:

(1) We keep the manager and overhaul the squad.

(2) We sack the manager and forget about stability.

I would personally let Jose construct a new team, and would let him do so every three years if that be what it takes to win again. Besides JT, our squad is mentally weak and they all crumble the second something goes against us in a match.

We need to establish a clear spine which is suited to playing direct football where we've always thrived.

It's his third season here, he has had plenty of time to get the players he wanted.

Bielsa is available. He may not be great but I'd love to see his type of coaching in the EPL

Me too, would love to see that madmen at least for a season or two.

I think he is like Mourinho, only good for short term but the difference is that he can leave us with an attack minded philosophy in a short time.

As oppose to Mourinho BS philosophy.

If Jose remains the big question is can we trust him with rebuilding the squad though? I mean look at us now and look at the players we have let go. Those transfer moves don't seem like of someone who knows what he's doing, but in Jose's defence a big chunk of blame can be put on the board because I'm quite sure Jose never wanted such a thin squad. I'm certain he would absolutely LOVE to have viable options to replace some of the underperformers, but our squad is very thin and lacking quality options. However, when he did have a larger squad with better options, his handling of those players was simply abysmal, so the blame is still shared here.

I still have blind hope that Mourinho can come good and become our undisputed boss who drives us forward, develops proper playing style and promotes youth, but I just can't see it happening anymore :(

Imagine if Pogba deal really did went through. Fabregas would be glued to bench.

EDIT: Transfers of Costa and Fabregas were good, actually. Not great, but good. Costa was promising in Atletico, can't blame him for wanting him here. Fabregas not so much in Barcelona, but he already played in Premier league and is proven player in league.

I blame Fabregas and Costa for not being good as expected, not Mourinho for bringing them.

At this stage I see only two options:

(1) We keep the manager and overhaul the squad.

(2) We sack the manager and forget about stability.

I would personally let Jose construct a new team, and would let him do so every three years if that be what it takes to win again. Besides JT, our squad is mentally weak and they all crumble the second something goes against us in a match.

We need to establish a clear spine which is suited to playing direct football where we've always thrived.

Good first post Samuel.

Welcome by the way !

Samuel, he already has done that and the third season has turned out to be a disaster. He has had his short term success. But let him overhaul the squad? That has happened and look who we lost... KDB, Lukaku, Bertrand, Luis, Mata and now look who we are left with and look at our unconventional way of playing Ivanovic and Azpi as our FB. How can we progress as a club if that is Jose's mentality? Bertrand should have been our no.1 LB for years to come. Then we had Luis and he should have been our permanent LB but also sold. Azpi had a torrid time yesterday but he is generally consistent but from his side as a team looking to win trophies we need natural attacking players like Bertrand and Luis from the left which Azpi can not provide naturally. All of this sets us back. We are the only major club who plays this way and it needs to stop and once again all comes down to Jose.

We lost KDB and Mata, with Lukaku and Bertrand (Winter) out on loans in the 13/14 season. We hit a record number of points 82 since 2009/10 when we won the double, and also made it to a CL semi-final.

Then we sold Luiz and Bertrand in winter, to win a title since 2009/10. He overhauled the squad and got his results. He needed the players this summer and the club failed to get them. So I don't really believe there has been a problem with him overhauling.

Though you are right about the whole Azpilicueta-Ivanovic setup, which isn't conventional, but did yield results last year.

Should we really let Jose build another team? We can't keep on building a new team every three or four years when Jose loses the dressing room. We want stability yes, but is Jose the manger for that? i don't think so.

And that is the question. He was never the man to bring stability and last for years, because he doesn't have a track record to prove it. We brought him, and put faith into his plan, and now the idea is to pull out cause things cannot be any worse. I guess it really isn;t about building a new team, it's about just updating it. When we failed to do so this year, it's going to force us to overhaul. Overhaul or sack him, and once you sack him who do we go to? Because if the idea is for the next manager to step up to the plate and provide a long term vision with stability then we're going down the same path once again.

Not sure if anyone has considered or mentioned this, but if he's sacked there has to be a worry about the new manager doing an AVB and trying to radically change things too quickly and angering players in the process.

There's a chance a new manager turns things around but also a risk of making things even worse.