The Mourinho Thread

The end is definitely near if even Tomo is no longer defending Mourinho.

90% of the things I've said 're Jose still stands, but right now its not working for either party.

It's sad it's came to this but on the plus side, future managers won't get judged compared to Mourinho and have the fans chant for Jose when we have a bad spell, like what happened between both his spells every time we hit a rut, every cloud and that.

Article by Michael Cox of Zonal Marking on our game against Bournemouth and problems this season.

"When absolutely everything has fallen apart, it cannot realistically be about technical or tactical weaknesses it hints at an overriding problem in terms of fitness or psychology. It is probably a combination of the two and the pattern throughout Mourinhos career of his teams falling away in the third season is clear. When unveiled at Stamford Bridge in the summer of 2013, he correctly pointed out that his success came usually in the second season and he has triumphed in his sophomore campaign at Porto, Inter, Real Madrid and now in both spells at Chelsea.

But he failed to explain that he has never won a title in a third year. At Porto and Inter he had already departed for bigger clubs, at Real and in both spells at Chelsea his side have simply underperformed. The theory that Chelsea's players simply become bored of Mourinho's antics is clearly nothing new but there is also an argument his players are tired physically. When Mourinhos defences are at their meanest, its usually because he has kept the same unit intact and rotated very reluctantly"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/dec/06/jose-mourinho-chelsea-champions-relegation-fight

I don't agree with your definition of stability. Peace wrote an outstanding post regarding stability not so long ago and used two perfect examples alongside his points, which I believe also represent where I stand regarding this issue.

How is the stability of a club that ages centuries affected by individuals such as managers or players that last at the very most two decades in that club?

Barca have enjoyed success despite having 4 managers in the last 10 years. Only 4 players are still playing in Barca. Despite the major changes in players, managers, and even the president, they have experienced great success by sticking to their identity of attractive and positive Football.

Arsenal were invincibles but then a group of young players that were trying to imitate Barcelona. Now they are a team that are satisfied with fourth place. But remember, they have had one manager this entire time.

We on the other hand with Mourinho went from acceptable football to beautiful football, then ugly football and now 14th place.

This goes to show that stability in football is reached when you establish a Football identity and the managers and players you sign are reflective of that identity. We as a club are a joke in this department. Going from unbeatable side in Mourinho's first tenure to Ancelotti's sexy Football, to AVB's team that emphasized on developing youth, to signing attacking players and at the end of the story giving Mourinho the control of these players.

It's just not right; we can't be jumping from side to side anymore. Choose what identity you want established in the club and stick with it. The next step would be signing managers and players that fit what we're trying to not achieve not ones that are totally contrasting to what we're trying to build.

A feeling tells me the board haven't learned their lesson yet. It's not a good sign when I see Simeone OR Ancelotti as the next managerial option. These two are totally different in coaching styles, and the possibility of the board looking at both as replacements for Mourinho goes to show you they do not have a clue what they are doing.

Great post - think we have all considered what our footballing philosophy is/was/could be...

The belief was inverse to reality.

It was stability then identity, when it should have been identity then stability.

We got it the wrong way round :(

SAF basically repeated everything the fanboys have been saying, "he's the best, he won titles, give him time!". Nothing new.

I'm just wondering, how long do we have to struggle till the line in the sand is drawn?

Sir Alex has always defended his fellow managers, past and present. There's nothing new in that. Take what he said with a lorryload of salt.

He deserves his share of the criticism, but criticism and firing are two different shoes. After cutting ties i think he is gone for good.

I said before that till January, if we lose all of the upcoming games, maybe his time has come.

We'll have to discuss it then, different situation.

Jose Mourinho wanted to experience different cultures, he could have picked the easy way and stayed in Porto;

beautiful blue chair, the Uefa Champions League trophy and an exciting young squad.

At Chelsea, he delivered big time, but not good enough for the owner.

Inter, he switched (his decision) and Real Madrid; how many managers stayed there for long?

At least he gave young players a chance; Khedira, Özil, Varane, Callejon and so on.

It's okay to think differently, but it's not black and white, it's impossible to make a binary assessment, imo.

For me, the greatest manager of all time:

Sir Alex Ferguson:

If ties are cut, let it be that Mourinho is gone for good. It's clear that he isn't cut out to be a long term manager for reasons I and several others have already stated in this thread. What he did at Madrid and Porto is water under the bridge.

That has confused me a bit now, in the past he has always been quick to drop underperforming players even if they are his favroite (kissed Pepe on the forhead then dropped him for Varane weeks later) yet with Ivanovic, nothing.

With the sales however, in my opinion only kdb was an error (admittedly a big one), Lukaku didn't want to be a rotation player and we got Costa, we got good money for a player we didn't need and Lukaku got the right move for his career. Mata was a great bit of buisness for me, he tailed off in early 2013 and he hasn't been anywhere near the same player since, in fact a lot of United fans I speak to say he is invisible on the pitch sometimes and last season they critisised his end product (which was the main argument to play him over Oscar when Jose got here).

Well, Mourinho has certainly regressed in picking players in form, that's for sure.

Regaridng Mata, I feel strongly that he would continue to fluorish in a more offensive team formation as he did before the transfer to Man Utd. The fact that he has been lukewarm in his performances at Old Trafford is due to Van Gaal's turgid, safety first football which is somewhat similar to Mourinho.

Back on Mourinho and this mess, we could be in the bottom three by New Years.

That's a massive problem. Dortmund were in this situation last season but were able to bounce back and grab a European spot. But it was done in an arguably weaker league. A lot of things must go right just to make any European competition next season. Where does that leave the club? There's players that are Chelsea through and through and will stay, but there are a number of players that will want to move on. Is this a quick dip that can be remedied next season (starting this season) or will it cause a shift in #1 priorities and #2 expectations, taking into consideration the financial implications of no Europe and a new stadium build on the way.

I'm left with a ton of questions and no answers.

Sacking Mourinho may be a blessing in terms of form, but there's a ton of damage that's been done already.

Hypothetically, a new manage comes in and things don't improve. What then? Who is to blame? So we blow everything up and start new?

A new manager is the only option left.

Since Mourinho insists on repeating on making the same mistakes.

Insanity and all that.

I can't stand the fact people are paying attention to what SAF said. His opinion is based in abstract ideas. I'm sure he is not watching Chelsea games, he just want Mourinho to stay based on portuguese's CV. He was also the man who appointed Moyes as his own successor, thats enough reason to not listen.

I love how so many people complain about English sports media but they are the same ones who are the first to consume it.

Who gives two cents to what Ferguson says about CFC? Its pathetic. We had 6 new pages of posts about SAF. I mean, WTF!

fucking hell, this seems real. if we lose (which is very likely), he is GONE.

wake the fuck up jose. for once, play a fucking team that can actually give us a chance of winning than a team you seem to have casted in stone. PLEASE. atleast give yourself a chance.

drop and kick out shitty cunts like cesc and oscar. just drop iva till the end of the season. give, RLC, remy, baba a true oppurtunity. PLEASE!!!!!!!!

He doesn't really care anymore. He plays the same players because he's lost interest. Just waiting to be sacked so he can collect his millions before another club signs him again.