The Mourinho Thread

They had numerous chances in the game to break at us with pace but blew it by slowing the game down and letting us reorganize, in fact they had a last second free kick and a great chance to ping it in the box and see what happens but what do they do? Pass it back to the defense.

We maybe could have been a little more adventurous given our position in the table, but let's not pretend Spurs were going all out to win this because they were just as happy with the point if not more.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread - I think our 11 men behind the ball confused them massively, they just didn't know what to do.

If we could 'actually' counter with precision we might have won the game.

That's the biggest problem though - we just rarely look like scoring :(

I think if Remy was available it might have been a little different, but Diego definitely wouldn't have worked as he has no pace, unless he could give and go and then make it into the box...

The problem with our approach is against teams where we need to win (and let's face it, we need to win a lot of games) - we do need the ability to be able to change from containment counter-attack, to containment + attacking

I'm not sure we have the personnel for the above - RLC would be a good start next to Matic, but that looks unlikely this year. I think we also need to drop Ivanovic, he made a few errors, but it's mostly his inability to attack as team - it means we only ever play down the left and that's easy to defend against.

If Baba won't play, then we need a RB and a decent forward, or a better option for Cesc as he is good, but just not athletic enough in the No 10 role and too weak for the Pivot.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread - I think our 11 men behind the ball confused them massively, they just didn't know what to do.

If we could 'actually' counter with precision we might have won the game.

That's the biggest problem though - we just rarely look like scoring :(

I think if Remy was available it might have been a little different, but Diego definitely wouldn't have worked as he has no pace, unless he could give and go and then make it into the box...

The problem with our approach is against teams where we need to win (and let's face it, we need to win a lot of games) - we do need the ability to be able to change from containment counter-attack, to containment + attacking

I'm not sure we have the personnel for the above - RLC would be a good start next to Matic, but that looks unlikely this year. I think we also need to drop Ivanovic, he made a few errors, but it's mostly his inability to attack as team - it means we only ever play down the left and that's easy to defend against.

If Baba won't play, then we need a RB and a decent forward, or a better option for Cesc as he is good, but just not athletic enough in the No 10 role and too weak for the Pivot.

That's the thing, when they had the chance we didn't have 11 men behind the ball, there lack of urgency allowed us to regroup.

Remy wouldn't have made much difference, we were struggling with our decision making in the final 3rd and Remy would have made that worse.

Spurs counter attack?

For them to 'counter attack' that would require us to 'attack' ;)

They were attacking and we were trying to counter. 11 men behind the ball whenever Spurs had it.

I guess I just see the game differently and if this is called 'progress' then I'm devastated as we are truly in a dark place.

Indeed. When I was watching the game I thought it was a good piece of football. To other side, people think it was a good performance because it was Spurs (in form team), so its okay to park the bus and play like the underdog. Mourinho again was playing to not lose the game. The team cant play like that the whole time. Mourinho didn't fixed the defense, because playing with 11 players behind the ball is not how you fix your defensive system. To other side the team showed tactical discipline, something that was not there in other matches, so there is some kind of "progress".

To other side this season is doomed. At the end of the season the club must evaluate what happened since 2013 and come up with a decision.

That's the thing, when they had the chance we didn't have 11 men behind the ball, there lack of urgency allowed us to regroup.

Remy wouldn't have made much difference, we were struggling with our decision making in the final 3rd and Remy would have made that worse.

Spurs is a 5th ot 6th place quality material. The fact a 0-0 after parking the bus 90 minutes is seen as a good results speaks loud about the current state of things. After 14 games played, the 14th place in table is well deserved for what this team has produced this season.

Spurs is a 5th ot 6th place quality material. The fact a 0-0 after parking the bus 90 minutes is seen as a good results speaks loud about the current state of things. After 14 games played, the 14th place in table is well deserved for what this team has produced this season.

I understand how many view the result and performance as an improvement, i agree with that. However, with how much we have invested into the squad, it is almost mortifying how bad/anti-football we play with all the talent in our disposal.

I understand how many view the result and performance as an improvement, i agree with that. However, with how much we have invested into the squad, it is almost mortifying how bad/anti-football we play with all the talent we have in our disposal.

Shhh... we're in the minority here - can't you see the results of the poll :) :) :) :)

We have to remember that we are fortunate for such a manager and without him we'd likely be facing a relegation battle :)

well seeing as it's likely a 'false flag' episode and Mourinho is the 'false' special one.... I do wonder :)

I know you reckon hes the best man for the job really M, youre just overpowered and find it hard to reconcile your strong manlove for him. ::D

I know you reckon hes the best man for the job really M, youre just overpowered and find it hard to reconcile your strong manlove for him. : :D

Dam, my thin veneer has been shattered!

I honestly, 100% DID believe he was the right man for the job, but since Jan - it's just been very weird :(

I remember the elation of August, September and October of 2014, November and December were ok too, Jan was a bit shit and from then on it's just slid down the pole (quicker than a 40yr old greased up stripper!)

He has until the summer to rescue the situation I guess. Yes I wish we'd beaten the Spuds (as half my family are season ticket holders) and my old man (Millwall) is giving me plenty of stick as well (despite them being two divisions lower).

I dunno - just keep hoping for a miracle, maybe it will happen this Xmas :) - if not Hollywood is not to be believed ever again LOL :)

Honestly I don't care anymore. I don't care if Mourinho stays or not, I don't care anymore if we win or lose. As long we don't get relegated I'm happy now. I've written this season off completely.

I'm even prepared for no Champions League football next season.

thats the spirit !!

look forward to you trying to put a positive spin on things from now on then ;-)

I am OK with him not sacked. But supporters of the club shouldn't be OK with letting it slip without an explanation. A failure as epic as ours warrants an explanation and Chelsea fans deserve to know what went wrong.

...it is almost mortifying how bad/anti-football we play with all the talent in our disposal.

I think the implication of this statement is completely wrong. Hazard obviously, and certainly Courtois too if he were fit, but how many other of our first choice players would be automatic selections for top six clubs? The answer you'd give might be higher than the number I would offer but it can't be that much higher I'm sure. We are getting the results our squad deserves, no more no less.

Now, if you blame Jose for the shortcomings of the squad then that is at least arguable. (Personally, I don't blame the boss for this, at least not entirely, but it could be argued.)