The Mourinho Thread

You make it sound as if we lost by huge margin, we went out on away goals. PSG are a great team, with arguably more consistent and overall better constructed team, no shame in losing to them.

There's no shame in losing to the likes of Barca, Bayern, Real Madrid. PSG are an average side, they just took advantage of our defensive approach. If we played a more attacking brand of football, we would of won that game.

Do you remember how hopeless and shit we were? The scoreline doesn't even tell half the story.

Of course I do, but in that situation you've got to stand up and say the best team won. That's what I'm saying, no shame in losing to a better team and given the scoreline, we worked hard to defend and fight it till end not to lose by a bigger margin.

There's no shame in losing to the likes of Barca, Bayern, Real Madrid. PSG are an average side, they just took advantage of our defensive approach. If we played a more attacking brand of football, we would of won that game.

I understand where you're coming from and partly agree, but they've got quite a few players who can make things happen from nothing, technical, quick, gifted players who are for the most part on their prime, very much like our team 8-9 years ago. But to call them average? Disagree with you there mate, they're right near the top in Europe, wouldn't be surprised if they'd go for semis or even final given their squad keeps fit.

Of course I do, but in that situation you've got to stand up and say the best team won. That's what I'm saying, no shame in losing to a better team and given the scoreline, we worked hard to defend and fight it till end not to lose by a bigger margin.

Dude, don't confuse Chelsea with Estonian national team :lol: A club of Chelsea's stature shouldn't feel proud for "not losing by a bigger margin" against 10 men. I don't think anybody is claiming that the best team didn't win, it's about how they won (or rather how we lost) that is still bugging people and rightfully so, because our approach was atrocious and it is a valid concern in regards to big European games.

Dude, don't confuse Chelsea with Estonian national team :lol: A club of Chelsea's stature shouldn't feel proud for "not losing by a bigger margin" against 10 men. I don't think anybody is claiming that the best team didn't win, it's about how they won (or rather how we lost) that is still bugging people and rightfully so, because our approach was atrocious and it is a valid concern in regards to big European games.

That's called confidence. You're confident enough to admit that, on that day, we lost to a better team. That doesn't mean anything more than that, no need to draw far reaching conclusions. Not proud of the result at all, but I can accept it, I can digest it. We've absolutely smashed teams over the years, does that make them bad teams? No, just bad luck, bad day, bad moment. They're still, objectively speaking, a great team.

We've had this defensive counter attacking apporoach to our game for so long, that's how we lucked out way to Champions League trophy, you know you're against a better team (which Barcelona, Bayern were that year), we had tons of injuries, suspensions and you just hang on and wait for your moment to strike. That's the plan, that's the approach. Is it the right way to go long term? Probably not, but you work with what you have. Like the saying goes: sitast saia ei tee (translated from Estonian: you can't make bread out of shit).

We've had this defensive counter attacking apporoach to our game for so long, that's how we lucked out way to Champions League trophy, you know you're against a better team (which Barcelona, Bayern were that year), we had tons of injuries, suspensions and you just hang on and wait for your moment to strike. That's the plan, that's the approach.

That year was a freak show, and indeed we lucked our way to glory. Such luck doesn't strike twice.

Do you remember how hopeless and shit we were? The scoreline doesn't even tell half the story.

what I can remember is Mourinho on the touchline trying to get the team to press more and the team seemingly just trying to play out a 1-0 and then a 2-1 only to be undone at the end both times.

Got the impression that the league was priority and the team were trying to see through the match with minimal effort.......is that Mourinho's fault when he was actively trying to get them to play with more energy?

That year was a freak show, and indeed we lucked our way to glory. Such luck doesn't strike twice.

how can it be luck?? the matches were won on certain gameplans.

Or can we now say that if teams defend deep and with numbers against us and get a draw that it was all down to them being lucky as well

At least he is not afraid of bigger opponents :) We were knocked out by 10 men PSG ...

I thought we had established that, no one saw what PSG did to Real at the Bernabeu ?

They are just too good, we were bad, indeed, but they are really good.

what I can remember is Mourinho on the touchline trying to get the team to press more and the team seemingly just trying to play out a 1-0 and then a 2-1 only to be undone at the end both times.

Got the impression that the league was priority and the team were trying to see through the match with minimal effort.......is that Mourinho's fault when he was actively trying to get them to play with more energy?

So if Jose was trying press on them so why they didnt listening to him? For me that match was so shit to watch and it was pure Mourinho tactic, Moreover, it wasnt only one match when we played on 0-0 or 1-0 in CL. PSG home played last time or Atletico home we just want to take 0-0 and TRY win on Bridge. It stupid for me to dont try score at least one in away match...

So if Jose was trying press on them so why they didnt listening to him? For me that match was so shit to watch and it was pure Mourinho tactic, Moreover, it wasnt only one match when we played on 0-0 or 1-0 in CL. PSG home played last time or Atletico home we just want to take 0-0 and TRY win on Bridge. It stupid for me to dont try score at least one in away match...

I dont why they couldnt do what he was asking...but it did look as if each time they took the lead they just tried to cruise to the end and both times nearly made it.

Like I said, the league was priority and perhaps this was in players mentality and Mourinho could see the danger signs and tried to snap them out of it.

Urm.....in that PSG tie they did score away

how can it be luck?? the matches were won on certain gameplans.

Or can we now say that if teams defend deep and with numbers against us and get a draw that it was all down to them being lucky as well

If the gameplans included several teams pissing away golden opportunities and penalties against us, then yes, there was no luck. I disagree with it though, I still maintain that that year we won heavily thanks to some divine intervention (being an atheist though, the other word for that is 'luck' or simply 'Cech').

Yeah thats why Bayern was dominating everyone but got out as soon they played against better opponents in CL for past two years.

Yeah because they didn't play Barcelona last season without half their team. I'd rather go down fighting like Bayern did than getting outplayed by 10 men at home.