The Mourinho Thread

He has to go.

Mourinho just isn't your long-term manager, as much as I'd love him to be one. He comes in your club when it's in bad position, crates "us against them" mentality, motivates players and wins trophies by playing defensive football. Then he loses it. The players are tired after playing all the matches in the previous season, motivation drops because trophies were won, there is no rotation - the same players play every match, players that don't play feel alienated. Young players (besides few) feel like they have no future at the club. Bad results come and some players (usually leaders - Casillas, JT) express their disappointment just to receive harsh treatment and isolation from the manager. Some players that are Mourinho's favorite stand by his side and this causes even more drama in the club.

Mourinho is like a match, he lights brightly and burns quickly. We need a candle.

Excellent analogy

It is common for micromanagers, especially those who exhibit narcissistic tendencies and/or micromanage deliberately and for strategic reasons, to delegate work to subordinates and then micromanage those subordinates' performance, enabling the micromanagers in question to both take credit for positive results and shift the blame for negative results to their subordinates.[7] These micromanagers thereby delegate accountability for failure but not the authority to take alternative actions that would have led to success or at least to the mitigation of that failure.

The entire thing was hilarious but this is my favourite part.

I just find it entirely pointless to sack Mourinho. For who? For someone who's likely to come in for anywhere between 6-18months, just to be shown the damn door again? I find it hilarious people talk about Ancelotti when he did the same thing here, won the double and sacked the season after. While Mourinho's got his own demons to battle this season in terms of his own tactics, this squad evidently needs another overhaul. I still believe in the guy lol, don't think there's anyone else better for us

No way. The squad is good. Only City possess a better squad and it's not like they're miles ahead in terms of talent either. He just needs to find a way to turn things around.

Besides, any decent manager can book succes by buying a host of players every year.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/chelsea/363/blog/post/2638970/jose-mourinho-attacking-weakness-has-been-exposed

Chelsea's poor defence has exposed Jose Mourinho's lack of attacking nous

Chelsea first team manager Jose Mourinho says two ridiculous mistakes cost them the match against former club Porto.

This time, and much like on the pitch, Jose Mourinho didn't quite go totally on the offensive.

Sure, after his Chelsea side lost 2-1 to FC Porto because of a Maicon goal from a set-piece, the Portuguese described it as "ridiculous."

"For us, it's a ridiculous mistake," Mourinho said. "We watch dozens and dozens of repetitions of Porto taking corners. I thought we were completely ready for that."

Mourinho, however, wasn't quite ready to go that bit further. He checked himself.

"I don't think my players deserve me to be critical with them, apart from the two mistakes they made. Two mistakes cost us the game."

Mourinho is fundamentally right. Two mistakes did decide the game, and they point to one of the biggest differences from last season and basically all of the manager's best teams: Chelsea can no longer defend; there is a porousness about them that you just wouldn't associate with the Portuguese.

It has drastically lowered their standard of performance this season, but it also raises another problem, and one that is arguably much more important and much more deep-rooted: Chelsea don't score enough to compensate for their poor defence, because they just don't create enough chances. It is getting pretty stark and has escaped exposure so far because of a range of other issues.

Mourinho certainly hasn't mentioned it this season, but then to do so might be to accept a few home truths about himself. He has a career-long problem with creative football. Chelsea may no longer be able to defend, but he's never really been able to attack in the way that befits his otherwise justifiable status as one of the best coaches in the game. It is perhaps his single greatest flaw as a manager, although the real concern might be that he doesn't even see it that way.

Jose Mourinho's Chelsea stumbled to another defeat, this time to his former club FC Porto.

Consider some of his other comments after the Porto game:

"The players reacted in a positive way and tried to get a result," Mourinho said. "Diego [Costa] hit the post. [branislav] Ivanovic had a chance with an open goal, one metre from goal. There was a clear penalty in the last situation. We reacted well."

That is an incredibly generous spin, especially given the fact that Porto had just shown them what attacking really should be about.

For spells of football either side of the Maicon goal, Julen Lopetegui's side were absolutely battering Chelsea, through all manner of moves. They were crossing, creating interchanges, cutting through. Whatever the approach, the consequence was Asmir Begovic and the rest of the Chelsea backline struggling to beat the ball away under the sheer force of the onslaught.

Compare that to what Chelsea were doing, and the chances that Mourinho outlined.

The first, the Costa shot that hit the bar, was an opportunistic effort from way out. The second, the Ivanovic miss, was from a set-piece. The third, right at the end, was born from desperation rather than design, and that is the key point.

None of these opportunities saw Chelsea actually open up Porto through interchanges or moves. Even their goal, through Willian, came from a freakishly good free kick, rather than free play.

That has been consistent with this campaign and should be an increasing concern.

A breakdown of the goals they have scored in the Premier League so far this season is telling. Of those 11, two have been crossed free kicks that wrong-footed the goalkeeper; two have been ludicrously good long shots; two have been own goals from ludicrously pronounced deflections; and one has been a header from a set-piece.

So the vast majority of their goals have not come from constructive play or attacking patterns. That is not a surprise if you watch the patterns of their games.

Against Porto, it often seemed as if the general idea was just to get the ball high up the pitch -- usually through Willian or Ramires just running with the it -- and hope for some individual play to come off. Costa actually tried his best to make that happen through some fine runs, and he had one of his best pure football performances in some time, but he was starved of aid and service.

The ESPN FC crew discuss Jose Mourinho's squad choices after their latest defeat against FC Porto in the UEFA Champions League.

That has also been a pattern of this season, and that is why this goes way beyond all the commotion about Eden Hazard getting dropped. Chelsea's personnel may change, but the staleness and predictability remains.

It was the same on Saturday against Newcastle United. When the Chelsea's most advanced six players had the ball, they encountered one of two problems.

The first was all of the other five were usually way too far away, with huge gaps between them, in a way that greatly contrasted with last season's tightly connected cohesion.

Cesc Fabregas at one point had the ball in the centre circle, but there wasn't a Chelsea player within 30 yards of him. That made it much easier for Newcastle to hound him down.

The second problem was that Chelsea were matching none of the opposition's movement. It was not just that they were so far away, but how stationary they were. There were a number of occasions when one Chelsea attacker had the ball but only had teammates effectively standing still watching him. With no one making a move that would actually open space or create angle, he was usually forced to try dribble forward with it, but that usually ended down a blind alley.

This may be Mourinho's big blind spot. How do you expect to open teams or create with that set-up, that lack of movement, and that evident lack of instruction about what they should be doing going forward?

It also seems to prove what many say about his coaching. Sources close to Chelsea players state that, for all the sophistication of most of his training, the drills and plans relating to attack are extremely basic. Last season, it amounted to getting the ball to Hazard and trusting the rest of the attackers to be good enough and clever enough to play off him.

It is a world away from the craft of Pep Guardiola's attacking approach, but it can still work if players are on form or if the defence is tight enough so you don't need many goals.

That is precisely why Mourinho's problem with creativity has become more pronounced than ever.

The attackers are off-form, meaning they can't compensate for the lack of collective design with their individual play, and the defence has fallen apart, meaning one or two goals are no longer enough to win games.

It will probably mean that trying to rely on the same restrained game plans is not enough to win trophies this season. He'll have to do something else.

Mourinho's best qualities of defensive resilience and psychological intensity are failing him, so his worst flaw has been laid bare.

It is time for the Chelsea manager to front up about it.

Miguel Delaney is a London-based correspondent for ESPN FC and also writes for the Irish Examiner and others. Follow him on Twitter @MiguelDelaney.

I see a select few are still trying to convince themselves that we are better off with Jose as the manager in the long run. Hilarious.

The fact that he hasn't been fired yet shows that Roman has lost his ruthlessness and demand for high standard. Any other top team in europe would have given him the boot already and rightly so. mediocrity all round.

What are the chances he reads the first article. He will probably just attack the writer instead of looking himself in the mirror

Can anyone copy the telegraph article here? They are asking me to pay money, because it seems I've reached the limit of free articles per month.

I see a select few are still trying to convince themselves that we are better off with Jose as the manager in the long run. Hilarious.

The fact that he hasn't been fired yet shows that Roman has lost his ruthlessness and demand for high standard. Any other top team in europe would have given him the boot already and rightly so. mediocrity all round.

It proves what has been said this second Mourinho spell, he wants stability over instant success. For me, it's refreshing. I don't think Mourinho is the best for the long term, but I'm happy he's not wielding the axe as soon as he has in the past. The revolving door of managers isn't good for the stability of the club in the long term.

I don't think Mourinho is the answer for the long term, but little good will be done by sacking him and bringing in a caretaker manager for the rest of the season. Let him see it out. If things look up and we show signs of promise, all of this will be forgotten. If things don't, we'll sack him and move on with a full summer to prepare for next season. Not winning anything for a season isn't the end of the world. The only thing that would be really bad would be to miss out on Europe, and personally, I don't think that's going to happen.

Can anyone copy the telegraph article here? They are asking me to pay money, because it seems I've reached the limit of free articles per month.

Jose Mourinho scapegoating Oscar, Loic Remy and John Terry sends shockwaves through Chelsea squad Chelsea's manager faces questions over whether he has picked on the wrong players as club's disastrous start to the season continues
There are fears Oscar is being made a scapegoat at Chelsea Photo: REX

By Matt Law, Football News Correspondent

1:23PM BST 30 Sep 2015

Jose Mourinho is facing a battle to prove that he is not scapegoating the wrong players for Chelsea’s disastrous start to the season.

Chelsea manager Mourinho left Oscar, Loic Remy and Radamel Falcao in England for Chelsea’s Champions League defeat to Porto, while captain John Terry remained on the substitutes’ bench.

The decisions over Oscar, Remy and Terry, coupled with the fact Branislav Ivanovic kept his place at right-back despite his terrible form and the growing belief that his focus has been affected by unresolved contract negotiations, sent shockwaves through the club's squad.

John Terry's position at Chelsea has been uncertain since he was dropped to the bench at Manchester City

With Chelsea in 14th place in the Premier League and now third in Champions League Group G, Mourinho’s actions are facing greater scrutiny from inside and outside the club.

Mourinho insisted that his team selection for Tuesday night was not a form of punishment for Oscar, Remy or on-loan Falcao, and the Portuguese has consistently refused to publically criticise individuals this season.

But having seen Mourinho complain about the “unstable attitudes” of some unnamed players, the view from inside the camp is that Oscar and Remy paid the price for the first-half performance against Newcastle United last weekend, which Mourinho rated as “minus one.”

What happens when you cross Jose Mourinho?

Oscar and Remy are now becoming increasingly resigned to the fact that they face uncertain futures at Chelsea while Mourinho is in charge.

Both players were open to the possibility of leaving Stamford Bridge in the summer, but neither Oscar nor Remy pushed the issue with Mourinho or the club.

Loic Remy does not get a look-in at Chelsea

Oscar would have joined Juventus if Chelsea had agreed to sell to the Italians, while Remy was interested in the prospect of remaining in London with West Ham United or Crystal Palace, or moving back to France.

It remains to be seen whether or not Chelsea will be able to do the incoming business that would allow Oscar and Remy to move in the January transfer window, but the pair are not optimistic they will last past next summer.

Mourinho’s reservations over Oscar have confused some of the Brazilian’s team-mates, who believe the 24-year-old is vital to the side playing cohesively.

The situation regarding Ivanovic is more complicated, with the defender’s future uncertain, even though Mourinho keeps picking him.

It is not viewed as a coincidence that the form of 31-year-old Ivanovic dipped last season, when stories started to appear that he was unhappy with the prospect of only being a offered a one-year contract extension.

Branislav Ivanovic struggled at Porto

Ivanovic was subsequently linked with Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich, but Chelsea called the defender’s bluff by refusing to be panicked into accepting his demands and allowed the Serb to start this season with only 12 months remaining on his current deal.

The negotiating position of Ivanovic has now been severely weakened by his poor performances and the fact he has offered little evidence on the pitch that he is worthy of a long-term contract.

It is hard to fathom, therefore, why Ivanovic was made vice-captain for the season and continues to be picked by Mourinho while others are left at home and Terry has dropped down to the substitutes’ bench.

Unlike Ivanovic, Terry is philosophical over his contract situation after being made to wait until May and March to secure extensions for the past two years.

The 34-year-old is far more focussed on trying to win his place back and prove to Mourinho he is still the man for the big occasion.

With Terry on the bench and the likes of Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, Didier Drogba and Petr Cech now gone, Chelsea once again lacked leadership on the pitch in Porto.

Chelsea's line-up in Porto lacked leadership

Cesc Fabregas was the one man trying to lead by example and was constantly talking to his team-mates, but there are no longer authoritative voices all over the pitch.

Former Chelsea defender and talkSPORT host Jason Cundy, who still has close ties to the club, went public in his view that Mourinho has got it wrong over Terry and Ivanovic.

“Something is bugging me at Chelsea – if you’re going to drop John Terry, that’s the manager’s decision and whether you agree or disagree you have to go with that,” said Cundy.

"But to give the armband to Ivanovic, who is having a really tough time at the moment and has arguably been Chelsea’s worst player this season, what does that say to the best defender Chelsea had last season in John Terry?

"If you’re going to drop him, that’s fine, it happens in football, but I think Mourinho is sending out a message.

“John Terry hasn’t played badly this season and I think he’s been really unfairly treated. I don’t think he’s played badly enough for him to be on the bench.”

Or he knows that if he's going to sack such a great manager he needs to have another of similar quality lined up to replace him. Klopp and Pep will both be available at season's end. No point sacking Mourinho now and essentially writing off any hope at all of turining things around.

It proves what has been said this second Mourinho spell, he wants stability over instant success. For me, it's refreshing. I don't think Mourinho is the best for the long term, but I'm happy he's not wielding the axe as soon as he has in the past. The revolving door of managers isn't good for the stability of the club in the long term.

I don't think Mourinho is the answer for the long term, but little good will be done by sacking him and bringing in a caretaker manager for the rest of the season. Let him see it out. If things look up and we show signs of promise, all of this will be forgotten. If things don't, we'll sack him and move on with a full summer to prepare for next season. Not winning anything for a season isn't the end of the world. The only thing that would be really bad would be to miss out on Europe, and personally, I don't think that's going to happen.

Why do people keep saying this? When has that ever backfired on us. A caretaker manager to come in and steady the ship could be exactly what the team needs right now and could ignite our season now that we still have a slight chance of making top four. We are going absolutely nowhere with Jose in charge.

Why do people keep saying this? When has that ever backfired on us. A caretaker manager to come in and steady the ship could be exactly what the team needs right now and could ignite our season now that we still have a slight chance of making top four. We are going absolutely nowhere with Jose in charge.

We're not even a quarter of the way through the season. We've gone on horrible runs before, and things haven't always looked dire. The ball goes in the net at the end of the Porto game and we're at the top of the group. We get one more goal in the Newcastle game and we get 3 points at a place we haven't since 2011. The team hasn't been setting the world on fire, but we're a couple of goals away from being on the up. Things aren't as dire as people make it seem.

At least wait until Christmas.

We're not even a quarter of the way through the season. We've gone on horrible runs before, and things haven't always looked dire. The ball goes in the net at the end of the Porto game and we're at the top of the group. We get one more goal in the Newcastle game and we get 3 points at a place we haven't since 2011. The team hasn't been setting the world on fire, but we're a couple of goals away from being on the up. Things aren't as dire as people make it seem.

At least wait until Christmas.

Are you seriously playing the "if" game right now.

Only because they're entirely possible. I'm not saying "If we would have beaten Crystal Palace..." That wasn't going to happen.

Results matter the most, but the sky isn't falling. We're not going to be relegated. Half of the team is out of form, regardless of what Jose does. I don't think any manager would come in and make an immediate impact. There's something wrong with the players and it's not entirely Jose's fault.

Well aren't you essentially playing the 'if' game by saying that Mourinho should be sacked and replaced by an interim-manager? If everything goes right, the team might win a trophy and could finish top four. Nothing but hypotheticals if you are speaking about an interim-manager so to criticise someone condescendingly for playing the 'if' game is completely hypocritical.

Wonder what the sack crowd will start shouting when the "next manager" who is handsome, gives chances to youth, keeps playing JT, Wins trophies every season, wins most games with a 5 goals difference, has a beautiful style of play, is a gentleman in the pc and drinks wine in the dugout will have a bad run of games.