The Mourinho Thread

He had £200 million spent on making the team better - if he's happy to have that happen to his team without saying anything, why on Earth should we want him here? Madrid is the place for a seat-filler, a custodian who will manage for a few years, keep the stars happy and then move on. I don't think many strong-willed managers would do well there to be honest.

Mourinho being more trouble than he's worth is perhaps accurate. He's high-risk/high-reward but he's a great tactician, a great motivator and someone clubs can get behind. It happened here, it happened at Porto and it happened at Inter.

If you want someone 'competent' without 'extra drama' then I think you're at the wrong club. We've always been a bit dramatic, a bit high-maintenance and a little bit Hollywood Diva. It's part of our appeal and it comes with being in 'fashionable West London'. That's why Jose was the perfect choice.

Pellegrini is low-maintenance, competent and won't cause much drama - he's the perfect choice for Arsenal. He ain't Chelsea. I'd rather have Ranieri back if we're going down that road.

I'd agree that he's a great motivator (not so much a great tactician) and there would be benefits for his return most notably fighting our battle when it comes to referees. Honestly if he came back I wouldn't be upset but I'd be disappointed that we've become such a basket case of a club that we can't entice somebody like Klopp/Guardiola when perhaps a few years ago we could have.

I know you wanted Guardiola so don't you think it's a massive swing from Guardiola to Mourinho? Do you think the club has a plan any more or are they just making it up as they go along? When the Guardiola option was still available people here and everywhere else were talking about tactics/players/youth but with Mourinho you don't get that sort of discussion.

I'd agree that he's a great motivator (not so much a great tactician) and there would be benefits for his return most notably fighting our battle when it comes to referees. Honestly if he came back I wouldn't be upset but I'd be disappointed that we've become such a basket case of a club that we can't entice somebody like Klopp/Guardiola when perhaps a few years ago we could have.

I know you wanted Guardiola so don't you think it's a massive swing from Guardiola to Mourinho? Do you think the club has a plan any more or are they just making it up as they go along? When the Guardiola option was still available people here and everywhere else were talking about tactics/players/youth but with Mourinho you don't get that sort of discussion.

don't think it's fair to assume that Jose will not look at the youth this time. Ofcourse, if history is any indication, then he won't use de bruyne, chalobah etc and i will not argue saying he's used Varane in Real because Varane is a diamond in the rough. But with the work put in by the club to upgrade youth system and sign young promising players, i think he's going to give the youngsters a fair chance. the club obviously are working towards the goal of putting together a vibrant young team, which, in time, will take over from the spine i.e the old guard and the current crop of youngsters are a plane above the ones when Jose was here first time.

Guardola represented a new type of football as this club, but he's not available. The interesting thing is that Barca were destroyed by a Bayern team who play a similar style of football to Chelsea c.2006. That doesn't mean tika-taka is dead but it isn't the only way. I'd have loved him to come but he's off the table.

That leaves only Klopp and Mourinho as real top-class coaches at this moment in time who are at the right point in their careers to take us on long-term. Part of what I like about Klopp is his character, and that's why I don't think he'll leave right now. That leaves Jose. I agree that people aren't talking about the reality of Mourinho as coach too much and a lot of it is tied up in nostalgia, but I personally think that's what exciting about his appointment isn't what's old but what's new.

Klopp is a man of his word. He stayed with Mainz for 7 years, even though Mainz got relegated once in b/w. He would've built a better identity/philosophy here without necessarily winning trophies. In 1-2 years time, he could be a world beater but Dortmund's players are leaving and I think he'll fall from 'fame' if Dortmund struggle next season, which is a shame because Chelsea consider 'fame' (recent success) as a big factor in a manager

Another hint he's heading home! Would be heart breaking if he didn't!

This is what ITV have to say about the interview interruption

Our reporter Gabriel Clarke managed to land an unexpected interview with Jose Mourinho with only two minutes left before the end of last night's Champions League programme on ITV.

At that stage it was too late to arrange an overrun of the broadcast beyond the allotted time. However, in a very tight, live situation, we showed as much as we possibly could of their exchange to viewers.

Another hint he's heading home! Would be heart breaking if he didn't!

This is what ITV have to say about the interview interruption

Trying to make out as if they were doing us a favor....what a complete tin pot empire they are.

Guardiola represented a new type of football as this club, but he's not available. The interesting thing is that Barca were destroyed by a Bayern team who play a similar style of football to Chelsea c.2006. That doesn't mean tika-taka is dead but it isn't the only way. I'd have loved him to come but he's off the table.

That leaves only Klopp and Mourinho as real top-class coaches at this moment in time who are at the right point in their careers to take us on long-term. Part of what I like about Klopp is his character, and that's why I don't think he'll leave right now. That leaves Jose. I agree that people aren't talking about the reality of Mourinho as coach too much and a lot of it is tied up in nostalgia, but I personally think that's what exciting about his appointment isn't what's old but what's new.

He's seen the world, won everything in Italy and had his Spanish experience. He's been humbled somewhat and maybe he's learning to appreciate different things in life, which is why coming home might make perfect sense. Roman too has had his fingers burnt and seen that the grass isn't always greener. Maybe I've overly sentimental but this seems like the perfect marriage for these two men, and we could all benefit.

Yes I have reservations about his appointment, but I'll be excited to see what he does everyday. At the end of the day, in a rather silly game of kicking a ball around isn't that the most important thing?

Fair enough. It would definitely be more a marriage of convenience than one of want, especially in our case considering the club were absolutely gagging for Guardiola who is a completely different type of manager to Mourinho. Just wish we had a contingency plan for Guardiola turning us down. I think that caught the club completely unaware and they're lost now.

You're right he has definitely been humbled and I hope that improves him as a manager because whatever he's doing now isn't working.

José Mourinho and Chelsea have yet to strike an agreement over return

Jose-Mourinho-Chelsea-overrated.jpg

Talks between parties representing José Mourinho and Chelsea over his potential return remain ongoing, with no agreement as yet struck despite the Portuguese's very public courting of his former club in the aftermath of Real Madrid's Champions League exit on Tuesday night.

Mourinho, whose trophy-laden if turbulent spell of a little over three seasons in London ended abruptly in the autumn of 2007, suggested he expects to leave the Bernabéu at the end of the current campaign and move to a club "where people love me".

He is considered favourite to become Chelsea's permanent manager – once Rafael Benítez's interim stewardship draws to a close in June – having reconciled with Roman Abramovich in the years since, but is technically only one of a number of candidates to whom the Londoners are speaking.

While Chelsea will only publicly address the managerial situation at Stamford Bridge once the season is complete, discussions have been taking place for some time behind the scenes and the hierarchy, via intermediaries, have sounded out potential replacements for Roberto Di Matteo, who became the fifth full-time manager sacked by Abramovich in the period since Mourinho departed London, when he was relieved of his duties last November. The Portuguese is understood to be top of that list, though there remain issues that need to be ironed out before he could swap Spain for the Premier League.

His contractual ties with Real are one, given his current deal extends to 2016, but primary among the obstacles remains the amount of power he would be able to wield back at Chelsea. The original fracture of his relationship with Abramovich during his previous spell at the club was born of frustrations over transfer policy, with the imposition of Avram Grant as a director of football riling the Portuguese.

Yet, if he was to return, Mourinho would have to accept the existing structure at the club, particularly given the positions of the chief executive, Ron Gourlay, and the technical director, Michael Emenalo, are not believed to be under any threat. Indeed, the latter heavily influences the club's scouting and recruitment.

It remains to be seen whether Mourinho, who has also generated interest from Paris Saint-Germain, will accept that hierarchy within the club and can therefore secure the return to which he alluded on Tuesday night after Borussia Dortmund eliminated his Real team from the Champions League.

"I want to be where people love me to be," he said. "I know in England I'm loved. I'm loved by the fans, I'm loved by the media that treats me in a fair way, criticising me but giving me credit when I deserve it. I know I'm loved by some clubs, especially one, and in Spain, the situation is a bit different because some people hate me."

Many on the playing staff would welcome his arrival, which could yet have an influence on whether Frank Lampard is offered a one-year contract to extend his stay at the club beyond the summer. John Terry is entering the final year of his current deal, with both having been key players during Mourinho's first spell in charge. The defender Branislav Ivanovic, who joined under Grant, was quoted in the Serb newspaper Vecernje Novosti saying: "Everyone who loves Chelsea hopes Mourinho will return.

"As players we don't have any confirmed information that he would return. But we would all like it to happen because he is one of the best coaches in the world. He is immensely respected by all for what he has done for the club. With him we can be stronger as a club. It would add another dimension to Chelsea, and it would be sure to help us become one of the main contenders for the title."

Chelsea have also sounded out the Málaga manager, Manuel Pellegrini, over his potential availability having been impressed with the Spanish club's progress into the Champions League quarter-finals this term. The Chilean, who has previously coached at Real Madrid and Villarreal, is contracted for a further season though there is a buy-out clause believed to be set at around £3.4m for his services.

Other options mooted have been David Moyes, who is out of contract at Everton in the summer, or Atlético Madrid's Diego Simeone, while the former Chelsea players Gus Poyet and Gianfranco Zola have impressed with their progress at the Championship clubs Brighton and Watford respectively this term.

It falls upon Benítez to secure Champions League qualification – his team are currently third – before he departs, with his side hoping to secure their progress into the Europa League final by seeing off Basel at Stamford Bridge on Thursday night. The Londoners are 2-1 up from last week's leg in Switzerland, with a full squad having trained at Cobham ahead of the tie on Wednesday morning.

The interim manager is also due to take the side on their post-season tour of the United States, where they will play Manchester City in St Louis and New York, with no formal announcement on a permanent appointment anticipated until June.

I hope that improves him as a manager because whatever he's doing now isn't working.

I think that's quite harsh to say - one average stint at Real doesn't mean he's regressed as a manager. Obviously he can improve, every manager does, even SAF does till this day; he's still one of the very best managers in the world.

To wish for Pep & his boring tika-taka style, as I read above, it just makes me laugh.

If Jose is signed & duplicates the same football as in Chelsea back in 06 I will be the happiest fan around.

Personally, I do not need any other style. Chelsea will win a couple of trophies, then.

Roman´s money, Jose´s know how, an offensive style of football, just shore up the midfield, & let´s boogie.

How can people want tiki taka at Chelsea? That is not our style, that does not respect our identity as a football club. We are not meant to play tiki taka.

Jose is the perfect man for us and for our identity, specially since he is the one that created a big part of that identity.