The Mourinho Thread

There's a big difference between buying a bunch of players already in their prime and building a squad based on a mix of youth and experience. Mourinho is an amazing manager with great man-management skills and a genius tactician, but he's not someone who rebuilds a team based on a philosophy and youth players. Mourinho is the perfect manager if you want instant success, but not for the long-term.

But it's hard to judge how good he would be if he was a long-term manager at a club because he leaves before you get the chance to see. Mourinho was amazing with us before but that doesn't mean he will be a success if he was our manager again. Our aims are completely different than they were back then. We're trying to become a stable club with a long-term vision.

How do you know he's not for the long-term ? Has he ever had the chance to work long-term anywhere, at any club ?

He was always under pressure, having to deal with the huge demands from the owners who wanted results and weren't ready to wait.

Our aims are different ? Really ? I don't think so. Our owner has the same ambitions and does the same things as he did back then. We're trying to become a stable club since AVB, you reckon we're doing a good job ? We can only become stable when Roman changes.

That is not rebuilding the squad though, thats only 3 players not exactly 7-10 or more players. More refreshing the squad than rebuilding it.

That is rebuilding, that is what we need now: to find those players who can carry this team. It does not neccessary mean signing them, could be just identifying them in the squad.

I believe you're all forgetting what he's done at Porto.

Mourinho has never really built a team apart from the Chelsea team when he first arrived in 2004. Would he be the right man to rebuild the squad right now? We need a manager with a plan for the next 2 or 3 years I'm not exactly sure if Jose is really the man for that tbh even though I'd love him back at one point.

Stop talking nonsense...

Mourinho won against the odds at Porto and tey are doing great ever since. Mourinho built a Chelsea team that lasted 4 years past his time. Mourinho bought the players who really made a difference in Inter (Sneijder, Eto'o and Diego) and recovered some that werent playing great (Lucio, Cambiasso and Julio Cesar). Mourinho made this RM squad, he lost the dressing room, but the next manager only needs to buy an RB an the team is complete.

Again, what did you say?

How do you know he's not for the long-term ? Has he ever had the chance to work long-term anywhere, at any club ?

He was always under pressure, having to deal with the huge demands from the owners who wanted results and weren't ready to wait.

Our aims are different ? Really ? I don't think so. Our owner has the same ambitions and does the same things as he did back then. We're trying to become a stable club since AVB, you reckon we're doing a good job ? We can only become stable when Roman changes.

That is rebuilding, that is what we need now: to find those players who can carry this team. It does not neccessary mean signing them, could be just identifying them in the squad.

That's just the thing, I don't know. No one knows because he has never been interested in a long-term project. Mourinho likes to complete his challenge and move on so he can complete his next one. And please don't make it sound long Mourinho has been treated unfairly at every club he has been with because that is not the case. 'Has he every had the chance to work long-term anywhere?' Of course he has, he just wasn't interested in doing that.

Mourinho left Porto and Inter Milan by choice. He wasn't forced to do anything. And he's going to leave Real Madrid at the end of the season whether he gets sacked or not.

No one is forgetting what he did at Porto, I'm not sure what makes you think that. Mourinho is a fantastic manager, but he's not the be all and end all of managers. He doesn't fit with the objectives our club is striving for over the next few years. He's perfect for a club like Man City or PSG, like Toronto already said. Whereas a manager like Guardiola, Klopp or Pellegrini would be perfect for us.

In my opinion, Mourinho will never be interested in a long-term project because in his mind he is bigger than the club.

This is what I don't get.

Show me. Show me where Roman wants this 'brand of attacking football'....because he certainly doesn't give interviews. Does this idea stem from the media? Oh, our best friends!

As far as what the past couple of weeks have taught me, Roman wants a winning team above anything else. Roman is a winner. So is José. I'm not saying he's defitely coming here, but I wouldn't rule it out.

You're right.

But I think not even Roman himself knows what he actually wants. Is it Barcelona in blue ? Dortmund ? Shakhtar ? Martinez's Wigan ?

We are Chelsea and we don't want to be anyone else. First two seasons (especially 04/05) under Jose the way we played, that was the best football we've ever played (yes, I'm not forgetting the 09/10 season).

What Roman wants is a team with winning mentality, and he'll keep changing managers until he finds the man who will make this club a force to be reckoned with once again. And if Jose returns the club will have the winning mentality back, because Jose is a winner.

He should've never really left, but I'd still take him back in a heartbeat.

Stop talking nonsense...

Mourinho won against the odds at Porto and tey are doing great ever since. Mourinho built a Chelsea team that lasted 4 years past his time. Mourinho bought the players who really made a difference in Inter (Sneijder, Eto'o and Diego) and recovered some that werent playing great (Lucio, Cambiasso and Julio Cesar). Mourinho made this RM squad, he lost the dressing room, but the next manager only needs to buy an RB an the team is complete.

Again, what did you say?

Signing players who make a difference doesn't mean he rebuilt the squad. Rebuilding a squad is like his first Chelsea team, Jose simply galvanized that team Inter that was basically assembled by Roberto Mancini and other coaches more or less with a few players he'd signed.

Also Mourinho didn't make the Real Madrid squad, the president signed Ronaldo, Kaka, Benzema, Alonso, Marcelo, Ramos, etc in his two different spells as the club president. Jose simply added to what he already had (signing Ozil, Khedira, Varane, Di Maria, Coentrao) and got rid of players he didn't want. The Real Madrid team was already an exceptional one just a team of individuals rather than a team and that always didn't work.

Also the thing with Porto, Porto are the biggest club in Portugal, they have been for years now and they more than likely always will be. Jose's Porto team was special yes because they won the Champions League, they had some spectacular players but its not like Porto had never won trophies before or had the best players in Portugal until Mourinho arrived. Porto have dominated Portuguese football for the last 30-40 years due to an incredible structure, a good scouting system in place and the fact its pretty much a two horse race league.

Mourinho usually bought players in their primes, as they could provide an instant impact. He bought the odd young player but he didn't regularly buy players like the club recently supposing we've bought Courtois, Piazon, Kalas, De Bruyne, Oscar, Moses, Azpi, Romeu, Hazard who are all 23 and under. He bought a lot of 25-27 year olds who could provide an instant impact, he didn't really buy/promote a lot of youngsters and develop them like what you see at Ajax or Barca under Pep and Rjikaard.

His achievements at Porto were impressive, no doubt about it, but he hasn't really rebuilt a team since Chelsea in 2004. He hasn't changed more than half the personnel at any club hes been at since he was here.

Every time Mourinho had the chance to stay at a club for the long term he left. Maybe at Chelsea it was a bit premature but maybe he could feel the players weren't the same as 2 or 3 years previous when we won the PL 2 seasons in a row. We knew the team needed an injection of youth since Carlo was the coach really. At Inter he left when the team was in desperate need of rebuilding, the majority of their squad was 30 year olds who were on high wages. Andrea Stramaccioni is now trying to rebuild Inter as other managers fail to. Mourinho has always chose to not stay at a club for the long term, hes always moved on and continued to win trophies.

There's a big difference between buying a bunch of players already in their prime and building a squad based on a mix of youth and experience. Mourinho is an amazing manager with great man-management skills and a genius tactician, but he's not someone who rebuilds a team based on a philosophy and youth players. Mourinho is the perfect manager if you want instant success, but not for the long-term.

But it's hard to judge how good he would be if he was a long-term manager at a club because he leaves before you get the chance to see. Mourinho was amazing with us before but that doesn't mean he will be a success if he was our manager again. Our aims are completely different than they were back then. We're trying to become a stable club with a long-term vision.

How do we know Mourinho can't do long term? he hasn't had a chance to try it. The whole squad in his first two season with the exception of Makelele were under 30, if that isn't planning long term i don't know what is.

How do we know Mourinho can't do long term? he hasn't had a chance to try it. The whole squad in his first two season with the exception of Makelele were under 30, if that isn't planning long term i don't know what is.

I didn't say Mourinho can't do long-term. I said we don't know because he has never wanted to. And it's not like he had the chance, that was just never his aim with any of the clubs he has been with.

Mourinho bought a bunch of players already in their prime when he was with Chelsea. That's not planning for the long-term, that's trying to achieve instant success.

i'd gladly have Mourinho take over our mess. Over Guardiola. Premiership experience trumps it for me.

on a side note, if we miss out on both Mourinho and Guardiola? what then? we are well and truly screwed

i'd gladly have Mourinho take over our mess. Over Guardiola. Premiership experience trumps it for me.

on a side note, if we miss out on both Mourinho and Guardiola? what then? we are well and truly screwed

Not really. There are other options. Pellegrini being a very good alternative. He's proven at the top level. Real Madrid finished the season with most points in the league they have ever had, and now he's doing amazing things with Málaga without even getting paid. He's getting every single Málaga player to play week-in week-out for him, even though they're also not getting paid. His man-management skills are brilliant.

And just to put the cherry on top, he could bring that attacking, short passing style of football that Abramovich wants.

He didn't want to stay at Inter nor does he want to stay at Madrid, he said a lot of times that his ambition is to try many different countries and to challenge himself. But I'm sure at some point of his career (and that time will come very soon, I think after the Madrid episode) he will want to settle down, find a suitable club where he feels he's at home and build a mighty force.

That club, he also said, is a Premiership club. And now, may I ask you one thing: Do you want the world's best manager in the last decade (maybe even of all times) to take over at Man City ? Or United, completely irrelevant as long it's not Chelsea.

The same question should be adressed to Roman Abramovich.

edit: Pellegrini ? I seriously hope you're not serious.

Stick to Rafa, ill probably get pelters for this but he is the higest calibre manager available to us if those two say no. If he can get us playing like his Valencia side i won't be complaining.

He didn't want to stay at Inter nor does he want to stay at Madrid, he said a lot of times that his ambition is to try many different countries and to challenge himself. But I'm sure at some point of his career (and that time will come very soon, I think after the Madrid episode) he will want to settle down, find a suitable club where he feels he's at home and build a mighty force.

That club, he also said, is a Premiership club. And now, may I ask you one thing: Do you want the world's best manager in the last decade (maybe even of all times) to take over at Man City ? Or United, completely irrelevant as long it's not Chelsea.

Mourinho will travel to every country he can to win big trophies so hes remembered as the greatest coach that ever lived. He wants to be known as the greatest coach ever. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Bundesliga at one point. He wants to return to England too as he wants to win the CL with an English club.

Of course I'm serious. Why wouldn't I be?

Stick to Rafa, ill probably get pelters for this but he is the higest calibre manager available to us if those two say no. If he can get us playing like his Valencia side i won't be complaining.

Not Rafa. He has come in and done nothing radically different with our squad. it's like he's being strung along by emenalo and gourlay. plus, the fans love to hate him and that is never good. i just wish rafa gets us through unscathed this season and then have someone else come in

Not Rafa. He has come in and done nothing radically different with our squad. it's like he's being strung along by emenalo and gourlay. plus, the fans love to hate him and that is never good. i just wish rafa gets us through unscathed this season and then have someone else come in

I reckon Rafa will be the third choice option, thats probably why hes got that extra 12 months clause in his contract.

Then we would be cutting of our nose to spite face, if we can't get Pep or Jose who available is a possibly an upgrade to Rafa?

Carlo will never return, Hiddink is calling it a day, there would be no one better available. I not a Rafa fan but what i do want is what is best for the club, which is why i didn't join the anti Rafa brigade in the first place.