The Mourinho Thread

Good article, I agree. It is why I said that if Mourinho is to be here for a while he needs to take chances with youth.

If the usual 3 to 4 years thing he will not care much.

So far we seen the latter, because like I said giving a game here and there ain't nothing if it's not sustain game time.

Jose confirmed in the interview with ESPN that he actually wants to improve his squad but ''loyalty'' is holding him back from doing it. (video 1) He said he waits for the unhappy players to go but doesn't want to go to a player and tell him to get out. (1 out 1 in policy from the board). The only player who's getting a silent treatment is Cuadrado, didn't play vs Barca and Arsenal while we could sub more than 3 players.

Normally Jose's strengthens/fine tunes his squads after a title win, even with not so expensive players, so what he's doing is not typical Jose.
Examples: (Only important signings included)
2004-05 title win: next summer bought Essien, SWP
2005-06 title win: next summer got Ballack, Sheva, A.Cole
2008-09 title win: next summer Sneijder, Eto'o, Lucio, Milito, Pandev, Motta etc.
2011-12 title win: next summer Modric, Diego Lopez
2014-15 title win: next summer ???

And I actually believe that our squad will be weaker than last season. Let's compare both squads:

Luis - Baba?? = a top 5 CL left back for a talent
Schurrle - Moses = a clinical proven goal scoring winger for a decent EPL squad player, I prefer Schurrle.
Salah - Cuadrado = 4th winger for 4th winger, both are not trusted by Jose.
Cech - Begovic = lost a top 5 GK, but we got the best thinkable replacement
Drogba - Falcao = a plan B in pinch-hitter Drogba for Falcao, a 50-50 situation currently, Falcao could be an improvement.
Cech and Didier out = two leaders in dressing room, could only be replaced if you compensate it with other qualities.

Other questions:

- Diego Costa fit - unfit Diego = fired 9 goals in his first 5 matches, currently his fitness is uncertain, will he be out for 1-2 months over and over again?
- JT, Ivanovic are 1 year older, can we expect them to be better or even be as a good as last season? Remains a big question mark.
- Eden reached an unreal level, carried the team and was injury free, can we expect that to happen again?

If the 1 out 1 in policy is true, I hope Mikel somehow leaves this window (for Witsel). I like his behavior a lot and see him as a true blue but we should remove him if we want to improve.

This interview confirmed my sentiments exactly.

We had the chance to strengthen our team in key areas, build on our success from last season...but Mourinho's stubborness/loyalty got in the way

Instead, we lost two quality players (Cech, Luis), a dressing room leader (Drogba) and we haven't signed anyone worthwhile.

Still don't get why we signed Falcao after seeing him struggle at United...he will be Torres 2.0 (minus the transfer fee) :mad:

We had the chance to strengthen our team in key areas, build on our success from last season...but Mourinho's stubborness/loyalty got in the way

Instead, we lost two quality players (Cech, Luis), a dressing room leader (Drogba) and we haven't signed anyone worthwhile.

Still don't get why we signed Falcao after seeing him struggle at United...he will be Torres 2.0 (minus the transfer fee) :mad:

I think you are reading the runes wrongly here R-B. It seems to me that Jose wanted/wants to strengthen. Clearly something is getting in the way of us achieving that aim but, whatever it is, it is not the manager's stubbornness.

As is the case with any manager, Jose has to say things designed to sound like he is satisfied with the situation. No manager can ever afford to say, my squad isn't good enough and we're in trouble. Consider all of his statements however, and it's hard to conclude anything other than that TSO knows we need reinforcements. If we can't get them then it's frustrating, but there must be good reasons for it.

Sign pedro and Witsel and our team is rejuvenated, motivated for the next season. But we trust and are okay with our squad, what if we become less motivated to win the league since we won it last season? It happened to mancity, it happened to us under Ancelloti. It is not easy to defend the premier League title, that's why few have done it.

What happened to getting better every season??? Did we win the treble that made us seem okay with our achievements last season??

I was thinking the board will compensate fans for the pain of selling cech to Arsenal. Since no new starting line-up improvements are coming then If we don't bring youth in this season, we would have wasted one year of our lives by not winning anything and not preparing the future.

I think you are reading the runes wrongly here R-B. It seems to me that Jose wanted/wants to strengthen. Clearly something is getting in the way of us achieving that aim but, whatever it is, it is not the manager's stubbornness.

As is the case with any manager, Jose has to say things designed to sound like he is satisfied with the situation. No manager can ever afford to say, my squad isn't good enough and we're in trouble, but consider all of his statements and it's hard to conclude anything other than that TSO knows we need reinforcements. If we can't get them then it's frustrating, but there must be good reasons for it.

I get what you're saying but there doesn't appear to be any good reasons behind the lack of reinforcements...

If there were concerns about FFP or lack of quality players on the market, I would understand...but that's not the case

Most of the major european clubs have strengthened their squad (Bayern, Juve, Barca, Atletico, Real) and I feel we are being left behind...

Mourinho claims it takes him 10 minutes to determine whether kids can cut it with the champions.

Well, there goes any hope of Mourinho changing his ways.

Bit ironic considering the fact that Cuadrado is still here and he decided to get Falcao despite their atrocious last seasons. Mourinho is blurred by history and past glories when it comes to expensive purchases, but when it comes to kids (who don't have that benefit)? Nah, 10 minutes is more than enough. Cya later KDB, hello Cuadrado. Working really well isn't it?

Maybe Mourinho likes playing FM/Fifa in his spare time...as those are the only places I've seen Cuadrado + Falcao do well in recent times

Mourinho claims it takes him 10 minutes to determine whether kids can cut it with the champions.

Bit ironic considering the fact that Cuadrado is still here and he decided to get Falcao despite their atrocious last seasons. Mourinho is blurred by history and past glories when it comes to expensive purchases, but when it comes to kids (who don't have that benefit)? Nah, 10 minutes is more than enough. Cya later KDB, hello Cuadrado. Working really well isn't it?

nope. its not working well. i mean we just won a double last season. yuck!!!!

kill jose!!! burn him!!! jose out!!!

The Falcao analogy is bang on tbh. This is quite annoying, tells you he doesn't really evaluate these kids properly at all... Sigh.

Still trying to cause conflict for the sake of it? You are quite pathetic. Posters like you are the reason people stop coming on to TC.

No it's because a lot of people are always negative and keep repeating the same shit over and over again. Yes we need to improve our squad but does that really have to be said every day in almost every thread?

This is just in general, nothing personal :).

Still trying to cause conflict for the sake of it? You are quite pathetic. Posters like you are the reason people stop coming on to TC.

cause conflict? :lol:

i would say pathetic and OTT posts like yours are the reason people stop coming on to TC cause you know what, whatever jose is doing is definitely not working. i mean cya later mata, hello eden, oscar. cya later SFL, hello matic, cesc. PATHETIC decision making from jose's part. :lol:

i would say pathetic and OTT posts like yours are the reason people stop coming on to TC cause you know what, whatever jose is doing is definitely not working. i mean cya later mata, hello eden, oscar. cya later SFL, hello matic, cesc. PATHETIC decision making from jose's part. :lol:

I don't want to get between a fight or something but the 'cya later mata, hello eden,oscar.' part is confusing me. Mata left in January of 2014 and we bought Eden in 2012. Makes no sense to me.

No it's because a lot of people are always negative and keep repeating the same shit over and over again. Yes we need to improve our squad but does that really have to be said every day in almost every thread?

This is just in general, nothing personal :).

Not really. It's because I called him a child with a keyboard and he's decided to prove me wrong by acting childish trying to conflict with whatever I post. If I said José is perfect he would still have a moan. Anyway, I won't be responding to the child anymore.

And how am I 'repeating the same shit over and over again' when I am referring to a news article about Mourinho that was just published hours ago? I also said nothing about improving our squad, I was talking about José mentality. You seem a bit confused.

Since you're insinuating I might just be 'having a moan', you should also know there is a massive difference between criticism and moaning. Criticising is based on a specific argument, fact or point of view. Moaning is just complaining for the sake of it. Some people criticise fairly, some people just moan and some people just moan about others criticising/moaning (guess who). Which one brings about quality discourse on a forum?

Mate, eden and oscar were not mou purchase.. and oscar is absolutely worse than mata