The Mourinho Thread

Everyone knows that Mourinho underachieved with that squad but it's a testament to what many call the greatest team that has ever existed in football. Like them or not, Barcelona in the last few years were head and shoulders the best team in the world - so of course it'll be difficult for any team that's competing with them on a regular basis to be as successful as they should be.

I get that, but Madrid's biggest fails have not been against Barcelona!

The first semi-final was a lost cause, because everyone knew Barcelona would beat them. However, what about last year's penalty shoot out and this year's shameful game?

I could go one forever, because I will continue to criticize Mourinho for his spell in Madrid and continue to believe he was not the best manager in the past 2 seasons. RDM was more successful, lmao.

You're right in that there's maybe a bigger risk with Klopp but on the other hand perhaps there's an even bigger reward with him if it works than there would be with Mourinho? There's no reward without risk.

Mourinho is the safe option but he's also the more volatile and expensive one. He earns about 12m a season now according to most reports! I doubt Klopp gets even 1/3 of that a season.

When I look at Dortmund I see an excellent, young, hungry team that have been coached to the highest level. When I look at Madrid I see everything I don't want Chelsea to be.

*This is all irrelevant anyway because Klopp will never come here but we're just speaking hypothetically of course.

Absolutely agree, spot on!

I just dont want anything risky right now, I want safe for at least a couple of years!

Pep Guardiola is an exception, his team is not a normal team, he made the best team in the history of the game, when you compare the two Champions League of Mourinho with the two Champions League of Pep for me is madness.It is not the same configuration i would say at all, not the same team; not the same decade.

Ferguson in 26 managerial year won two CL, josé in 10 won also two, does that mean they are on the same level ? No, Ferguson achieved more, with the same team, and have ten year more that Mourinho, you are just comparing completely different managerial carreers.At the moment, If you are searching a manager, what would you pick ? Jurgen, Alex or Mourinho ?

Great, tackled the irrelevant ironic part of my post, yet gave nothing to defend Mourinho against my claim that Klopp was the better manager in the past 2-3 seasons.

I guess you gave up?

Ghost goal, penalties, end of the story.The line between winning and losing in the CL is way too short.

Yes, it is short, nonetheless, what matters is the result you get in the end!

Great, tackled the irrelevant ironic part of my post, yet gave nothing to defend Mourinho against my claim that Klopp was the better manager in the past 2-3 seasons.

I guess you gave up?

No, I will comeback in the evening, actually, I just dont have the time right now, but I have nothing to tell you, Mourinho is the best manager around, Klopp is the best in the past two years, thank you good bye.

Klopp has done an amazing job at Dortmund, but what exactly qualifies one as being the best manager in the world? Is it not ones managerial record we should look at? You could say Jose has done what Klopp has done earlier in his career with FC Porto. Yeah, you could say that Klopp has outsmarted Mourinho this season but one season doesn't make one the best manager in the world.

Mourinho's time at Madrid hasn't exactly been great but many managers struggle at that club. To me Jose's still the best manager in the world simply because of his track record. No other manager has ever won a Champions League medal with three different teams other than Jose. Klopp's not yet in Jose's league simply because he's still at the start of his managerial career and hasn't yet achieved that much.

You can't say Klopp's the best manager in the world because he's outsmarted Mourinho (or anyone) over 3 cup games, that's quite outlandish to say IMO. After all, Borussia are 20 pts behind Bayern in the league atm, they haven't been that great this season. Klopp still has a lot to do before being considered as the best manager around.

Skips, you have to appreciate that a lot of what went wrong for BVB this season was out of his control. The team has gone through a series of injuries most notabley Sven Bender and Mats Hummels missing out large chunks of the season and even then players like Schmelzer, Kuba, and Weidenfeller have missed a smaller chunk of games. All their success has finally caught up to them and their squad depth couldn't handle it any further.

I can say Mourinho is not the best manager in the world right now, because that has nothing to do with past record. I never touched overall careers!

Also, your Bundesliga comparison is irrelevant because the last time I remembered, Mourinho wasnt able to replicate our first two EPL season in the third year. Does that mean he was not the best manager back then? I also dont remeber him reaching UCL final with us...

If you look at what he has done in Real and what Klopp has done in BVB, this is not even a fair game!

EDIT: I will be forever hated in this thread because I am not a fan boy. No manager is above the club and no manager will get my blind love...

Depends on what you mean by 'best manager in the world right now'. If you're looking at the best manager this season - I certainly wouldn't say it's Klopp or Mourinho. I'd give it to Heynckes simply because Bayern are on the verge of an outstanding treble. I know Borussia have far less monies and fortune injury wise than Bayern but Bayern have been outstanding this season on all fronts.

Of course Klopp has been the better manager since Mourinho's been at Real, I can easily admit that, but one must remember Mourinho's work at his previous clubs Inter, us and Porto - this is exactly the reason why Mourinho's rated above Klopp and rightly so - Klopp hasn't done half of what Mourinho has done over his career so naturally people will obviously conclude that Mourinho's the better manager - and I know you aren't even saying that Klopp's better than Mourinho overall but that he's just been the better manager over the last couple of seasons, which is right.

You're right in saying that Mourinho hasn't been the best in his tenure at Real and you've got valid points on your criticism on him but one managerial spell shouldn't cloud your judgement over Mourinho. You might say we have drama as a club but Madrid are even worse - there are too many power struggles at Madrid. I fully believe he'll do a lot better managing us than managing Madrid.

No but then again Ferguson tactically has never been the manager many think Mourinho is. Ferguson is a legendary manager mainly because of his longevity but tactically he has never been one of the game's great coaches. Klopp has taken Mourinho to school this season. Twice beating him and Madrid escaping with a draw in the other game at home. Losing so emphatically and being outplayed to that extent is far more damaging for Mourinho's reputation than Ferguson losing games to Benitez.

1 league title in 3 seasons and no Champions League with the most expensive sqaud ever assembled is a massive failure.

but I wonder how much its down to joses tactical frailty or the dressing room disharmony we hear about. A lot of madrids players didnt look overly up for it last night. Not doubting klopps managerial prowess just dont think suddenly hes mastered jose

No, I will comeback in the evening, actually, I just dont have the time right now, but I have nothing to tell you, Mourinho is the best manager around, Klopp is the best in the past two years, thank you good bye.

Loool, all of this to admit he was the best in the past couple of years! :D

Skips, you have to appreciate that a lot of what went wrong for BVB this season was out of his control. The team has gone through a series of injuries most notabley Sven Bender and Mats Hummels missing out large chunks of the season and even then players like Schmelzer, Kuba, and Weidenfeller have missed a smaller chunk of games. All their success has finally caught up to them and their squad depth couldn't handle it any further.

Yeah, I appreciate and get that. Klopp's a fine manager with an outstanding future - but he hasn't been the best manager in the world this year, and yeah external factors have probably played a part in that - however if you're looking for the manager who's been outstanding this season it has to be Jupp Heynckes.

but I wonder how much its down to joses tactical frailty or the dressing room disharmony we hear about. A lot of madrids players didnt look overly up for it last night. Not doubting klopps managerial prowess just dont think suddenly hes mastered jose

Fair enough.

Doesn't it worry you that Madrid's players didn't look up for a semi final game in the European Cup? Jose is known to be an excellent man-manager and motivator yet Dortmund ran all over them from start to finish just like they did in the previous two games this season.

Depends on what you mean by 'best manager in the world right now'. If you're looking at the best manager this season - I certainly wouldn't say it's Klopp or Mourinho. I'd give it to Heynckes simply because Bayern are on the verge of an outstanding treble. I know Borussia have far less monies than Bayern but Bayern have been outstanding this season on all fronts.

One season is only one season and if he fails to win UCL for the second straight year, how will he be remembered? As the guy who won Bundesliga with the best record and trashed Barcelona or the guy who let BVB win the double in 2012 and lost 2 consecutive finals? It is still all very relative when it comes to Heynckes. He lies into a fine line between failing and being an absolute hero!

Of course Klopp has been the better manager since Mourinho's been at Real, I can easily admit that, but one must remember Mourinho's work at his previous clubs Inter, us and Porto - this is exactly the reason why Mourinho's rated above Klopp and rightly so - Klopp hasn't done half of what Mourinho has done over his career so naturally people will obviously conclude that Mourinho's the better manager - and I know you aren't even saying that Klopp's better than Mourinho overall but that he's just been the better manager over the last couple of seasons, which is right.

Just made my case with the very first sentence!

I am saying that Mourinho is not the best manager right now, as you pointed out, even Jupp is in front of him.

Now, this has nothing to do with me thinking that Klopp is the better coach overall nor that he is the better option. I said from the start that I want Mourinho and end of story, he is the only one good enough to lead our team and handle with English media and Roman's temper. I am Mourinho all the way!

I am just stating and giving facts why he is not the best manager at the moment. Meaning that if we were to give an award or something, he would not be a contender. That is all...

You're right in saying that Mourinho hasn't been the best in his tenure at Real and you've got valid points on your criticism on him but one managerial spell shouldn't cloud your judgement over Mourinho. You might say we have drama as a club but Madrid are even worse - there are too many power struggles at Madrid. I fully believe he'll do a lot better managing us than managing Madrid.

Well, he cant do much worse, can he? :P

Kidding, he will be as successful as he was previously (I have no doubt). If in 3-4 years we can win EPL and UCL (even if it is all we get, 2 trophies), I will be forever happy!

Falcao is the hottest goal scorer around. if he won´t succeed in PL then where is he going to...? I see him, scoring around 35 goals if he comes.

Domestic league is secondary to CL. Chelsea may finish in top four & still win CL trophy. If they win PL, be it. It´s fine with me.

Couldn't disagree more. The league is what you compete for week in and week out. It's against your closest rivals. It's the one you and your mates get up for.

League first, Europe a very close second.

As for Falcao, there are no certainties in life and whilst he is a fantastic striker he's completely untested in the Premier League. Saying he'll score 35 goals is a little....silly.

Couldn't disagree more. The league is what you compete for week in and week out. It's against your closest rivals. It's the one you and your mates get up for.

League first, Europe a very close second.

As for Falcao, there are no certainties in life and whilst he is a fantastic striker he's completely untested in the Premier League. Saying he'll score 35 goals is a little....silly.

Not in my book. CL No 1 then PL & the rest, it does not matter much to me.

If Van Pussy or Dracula from Liverpoops can score 25 goals, Falcao should be better.